All Elite Wrestling

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're half right on World Wrestling All-Stars. It started in 2001 to cash-in on WWE never touring Australia and New Zealand and there was plenty of ex-WCW and ex-ECW wrestlers with nothing better to do. It shutdown pretty quickly in 2003 when WWE started doing their own house shows.

The Hulkamania tour was a nostalgia cash-in.

TNA was the only one trying to get WWE level big. The others weren't. Taping six months worth of stuff over a week doesn't make you a rival to WWE anymore than the local Sunday league team is a rival to Essendon.

Could be torrents and pirate streams for a good while. WWE will pressure Foxtel to not pick it up and the free-to-air networks won't go out of their way to get a wrestling show. Maybe end up on Stan or Netflix.
Pretty much what I'm thinking.

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

You're half right on World Wrestling All-Stars. It started in 2001 to cash-in on WWE never touring Australia and New Zealand and there was plenty of ex-WCW and ex-ECW wrestlers with nothing better to do. It shutdown pretty quickly in 2003 when WWE started doing their own house shows.

The Hulkamania tour was a nostalgia cash-in.

TNA was the only one trying to get WWE level big. The others weren't. Taping six months worth of stuff over a week doesn't make you a rival to WWE anymore than the local Sunday league team is a rival to Essendon.

Bret Hart (who was the on-screen Commissioner) openly said on radio interviews in 2001 that WWA was an alternative for the fans from the WWE.

Roddy Piper says almost the EXACT same thing on the first episode of XWF that was taped in November 2001.

Hulk Hogan said on the microphone AT the Hulkamania tour show in Melbourne that it was only the beginning and did a whole rant about he was coming for Vince-- Brother.

Just because none of these wrestling organisations had weekly television and actually became a rival doesn't mean they weren't wanting to.

Using your analogy AEW is no different than a local Sunday league team at the moment and we shouldn't treat them any differently until they start actually like a professional organisation.

They were on the payroll of each group. Of course they were talking it up and trying to flog tickets.

They were on the payroll of each group. Of course they were talking it up and trying to flog tickets.

I'm not sure what you are actually trying to complain about??

My statement was that many a wrestling organisation has claimed to challenge the WWE in the past 18 years since WCW folded. You have to agree that both of those instances involved wrestlers making those statements.

It's no different than what Cody, The Bucks, Jericho & Co. did today-- they claimed they are going to revolutionise the industry, but they actually haven't done anything more than any of these other organisations in the past. Yes-- All In was a great one-off show 6 months ago, but as an organisation with No reported TV deal, no reported sponsorship agreements outside of the Khan family, a shallow roster that isn't super appealing to the average fan and poor production values (outside of pyro) they aren't demonstrate they are ready to compete with the WWE either.

Now you've changed story from there were over a dozen wrestling companies post-WCW trying to challenge WWE to them simply claiming to do that. Those are different words that mean different things.

How successful AEW is remains to be seen but they're signing guys who could get WWE contracts. That's a big point of difference to the dozen bullshit promotions you talked about.

Now you've changed story from there were over a dozen wrestling companies post-WCW trying to challenge WWE to them simply claiming to do that. Those are different words that mean different things.

Below is my Original post from November 28th

What talent has confirmed that they are working for them so far??

What TV deals do they have in place? Not just in the US, but also world wide.

At this stage this promotion is all rumour and innuendo. There's been over a dozen wrestling companies announced and gone through varying levels of success trying to 'challenge' the WWE since WCW closed in 2001, yet none in my opinion have had a lasting effect on the WWE financially or creatively.

As I've said in another post--maybe I exaggerated a bit on the number of promotions a bit-- but the facts remain the same, there's been plenty of companies who have gone through varying levels of success trying to 'challenge' the WWE. Just because most of those companies weren't particularly successful doesn't mean they weren't saying that they were going to revolutionise the wrestling industry and take on the WWE publicly.

My statement has always been similar-- you are just trying to pull apart the technicalities of my argument because you disagree with my point of view rather than discussing the actual topic at hand.

How successful AEW is remains to be seen but they're signing guys who could get WWE contracts. That's a big point of difference to the dozen bullshit promotions you talked about.

Who has the AEW signed so far that's knocked back a WWE contract to be with AEW??

As I've said in another post--maybe I exaggerated a bit on the number of promotions a bit-- but the facts remain the same, there's been plenty of companies who have gone through varying levels of success trying to 'challenge' the WWE. Just because most of those companies weren't particularly successful doesn't mean they weren't saying that they were going to revolutionise the wrestling industry and take on the WWE publicly.

My statement has always been similar-- you are just trying to pull apart the technicalities of my argument because you disagree with my point of view rather than discussing the actual topic at hand.

Who has the AEW signed so far that's knocked back a WWE contract to be with AEW??
Jericho apparently was speaking to WWE two weeks ago turned it down for aew. They've just moved him to alumni roster too

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Jericho apparently was speaking to WWE two weeks ago turned it down for aew. They've just moved him to alumni roster too

Thanks for that-- I hadn't read that report.

I'm a bit surprised he spoke to the WWE when he still had an NJPW commitment at Wrestle Kingdom on January 4th.

But I guess the whole Chris Jericho contract comes back to the other thing I've been saying in this thread--- I think AEW horribly botched his contract announcement, they made it look like he was signing for some second rate organisation in a car park.

AEW may not get many instantly recognisable names to the general public early on (apart from Jericho, maybe a few slightly lesser names that are not happy and out of contract, or some that are well known by bigger wrestling fans but not the average viewer), but I can see the following happening (some have already been announced) and they will either get WWE stars thinking about/actually moving across or causing WWE to consider making major changes to how they run their organisation (mostly by hurting their bottom line and making their shareholders take notice) which will benefit the entire wrestling community:

- Equal pay for men and women.
- Far more creative freedom and say in regards to storylines/characters.
- Wrestlers and officials are employees of AEW and not classified as independent contractors.
- Wrestlers have a union to represent them.
- AEW listens to the fans/wrestling community and makes adjustments to how things are run in accordance with this.

Whether AEW is a success and possible rival for WWE is to be seen (need a strong TV deal that is not just in the US, but ends up being shown in several international markets), and any major moves certainly will not occur within 12 months, but if they take the right steps, do not rush, and actually make changes to how the wrestling business is run, they could make some massive waves in the next few years and the whole wrestling world could be a better place as a result.

Before you start writing fan-fiction-- are any of the WWE names you mentioned even out of contract with the WWE before the 'Double or Nothing' Show in May??

If not-- then there's no point even suggesting them as potential signings to prove that AEW didn't make a massive mistake by making the Chris Jericho signing look second-rate.

Never suggested that. Just listed some quality wrestlers from the WWE who have been in top spots previously but are arguably misused currently. The example was to suggest that IF one of those listed stars left then it would be a bigger deal than Chris Jericho who hasn't been full time WWE in quite a while.

Could be torrents and pirate streams for a good while. WWE will pressure Foxtel to not pick it up and the free-to-air networks won't go out of their way to get a wrestling show. Maybe end up on Stan or Netflix.

Haha, Stan. As if! Lucha Underground (season 1 & 2 I think) was on Netflix for a time, but they dumped it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never suggested that. Just listed some quality wrestlers from the WWE who have been in top spots previously but are arguably misused currently. The example was to suggest that IF one of those listed stars left then it would be a bigger deal than Chris Jericho who hasn't been full time WWE in quite a while.

So you took all the context away from the question I asked??

The point I was trying to make to General Giant is that Jericho's signing is most likely the "biggest signing" moment that AEW will have between now and 'Double or Nothing'. Jericho signing with AEW made it onto news outlets. That won't happen with most of their upcoming signings (including Kenny Omega if it happens) because Chris Jericho has brand value that very few modern wrestlers do due to his role during the Attitude era.

I do agree with you that IF a major WWE star leaves the company and moves to AEW it could be a "bigger signing" in the scheme of the long term future of AEW-- but NONE of them on your list would get the attention of the wider media and former wrestling fans as Jericho signing today.

So you took all the context away from the question I asked??

The point I was trying to make to General Giant is that Jericho's signing is most likely the "biggest signing" moment that AEW will have between now and 'Double or Nothing'. Jericho signing with AEW made it onto news outlets. That won't happen with most of their upcoming signings (including Kenny Omega if it happens) because Chris Jericho has brand value that very few modern wrestlers do due to his role during the Attitude era.

I do agree with you that IF a major WWE star leaves the company and moves to AEW it could be a "bigger signing" in the scheme of the long term future of AEW-- but NONE of them on your list would get the attention of the wider media and former wrestling fans as Jericho signing today.

I guess Jericho wasn't too big of a surprise though, someone like Goldberg would create bigger waves just because he hasn't had anything to do with the elite etc before.

Shoddy booking means there's a few former WWE and Universal Champions stuck in midcard mediocrity.

Shoddy booking means there's a few former WWE and Universal Champions stuck in midcard mediocrity.
Yep. The group listed above like Cesaro, Wyatt, Ryder, Balor plus Rusev and Nakamura. Very talented guys all extremely over at a point but had the breaks pumped on them or mismanaged so Reigns and or Cena could remain focal points.

Not saying they all go but it's good they have another option where they will get paid similar and probably have a way easier schedule too that could allow work with other promotions if desired.

I hope they rock the boat a bit by going after some NXT talent that are not getting paid what WWE guys are.
Could do. Think NXT pays pretty well though. Pay not really the issue. More creative (and general) freedom, health care and I'd assume a better schedule.

Think pissed off main roster talent is mainly what they will be looking at.

Yep. The group listed above like Cesaro, Wyatt, Ryder, Balor plus Rusev and Nakamura. Very talented guys all extremely over at a point but had the breaks pumped on them or mismanaged so Reigns and or Cena could remain focal points.

Not saying they all go but it's good they have another option where they will get paid similar and probably have a way easier schedule too that could allow work with other promotions if desired.

Bray Wyatt, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler (defunct World Heavyweight Championship), Finn Bálor, Jinder Mahal, Kevin Owens, Rey Mysterio, Seth Rollins, Sheamus, The Miz. Unless the part-timers and Vince's favourites are all injured these guys are probably never getting another title run.

Could do. Think NXT pays pretty well though. Pay not really the issue. More creative (and general) freedom, health care and I'd assume a better schedule.

Think pissed off main roster talent is mainly what they will be looking at.

NXT pays well if you're already a big deal before signing. Not so much if you're real developmental talent.

Bray Wyatt, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler (defunct World Heavyweight Championship), Finn Bálor, Jinder Mahal, Kevin Owens, Rey Mysterio, Seth Rollins, Sheamus, The Miz. Unless the part-timers and Vince's favourites are all injured these guys are probably never getting another title run.
Big call writing off Rollins and Owens. I think both will hold the title again and maybe even Finn.

Cody the Young Bucks Jericho Neville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back