Toast All things Paul Roos + Coaching: McCartney joins coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Every coach ever appointed by anyone is supposedly a great choice but there is no way of knowing until they actually take the reins. Some great players have made dud coaches & some less regarded players have made great coaches.

Agree. Being a respected player does help though - means the players might pay a bit more attention to the guy. I think Goodwin is a good candidate though - not an out and out gun with his head up his arse like Buckley or Hird, but a top quality player who can hopefully translate that into being a top quality coach.

Every coach ever appointed by anyone is supposedly a great choice but there is no way of knowing until they actually take the reins. Some great players have made dud coaches & some less regarded players have made great coaches.

Agree with this 100%. I remember when the Tigers got Wallace, Dogs got Eade and Hawks got Clarkson. Hawthorn were absolutely ridiculed at the time for 'missing out' on Wallace. At a minimum unless they have coached elsewhere like Roos or Ratten how the hell could we have an opinion outside of gut feel. It's a decision that, dare I say it, we have to trust the club with.

Once a degenerate gambler[/B] and known admirer and administrator of the "good stuff"......joy

Welcome Simon

Maybe if we are lucky we will get a new Dee TV segment 'Simons Good Wins' where he tells us stories about the days of betting big and winning big, and hopefully he will chuck in a tip or two :p

Maybe if we are lucky we will get a new Dee TV segment 'Simons Good Wins' where he tells us stories about the days of betting big and winning big, and hopefully he will chuck in a tip or two :p

Just came here to post a pretty similar pun. You get the feeling our club looked at his resume and were like 'Good-win? It's right there in his name! Promote that man!'

Just came here to post a pretty similar pun. You get the feeling our club looked at his resume and were like 'Good-win? It's right there in his name! Promote that man!'

Haha how could we possibly not win with a name like that.

At least we are guaranteed at least one 'good win' each season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we are guaranteed at least one 'good win' each season.

Funny-gif-Steve-Carell-The-Office-no-no.gif

Goodwin has apparently presented to the Board... if that's true I'd assume he'll be announced next week, the board surely only acts as a rubber stamp for Roosy and PJ.

Doubt it. You'd think we would have heard rumblings about it by now
Seems a little soon given that Roos on Friday said something about the search "stepping up". It would look awfully rushed if we came back 3 days later and said "search over!"

Seems a little soon given that Roos on Friday said something about the search "stepping up". It would look awfully rushed if we came back 3 days later and said "search over!"

I think its a little further down the line than 'stepping up'.

I cant remember who wrote the article, but it was mentioned last week that Goodwin was 'one good interview away' from getting the Melbourne gig.

If that interview was referring to a board presentation, then I reckon we'll hear someone very soon.

Assuming Goodwin's the man, it may wait until next week with the court decision of EFC v ASADA coming out on Friday.

Because Goodwin was/is a part of it (not that I think he's in the gun) the Dees may wait until the dust settles.
Knowing Melbourne we'll sign him for 5 years on Thursday and on Friday it comes out that he was the mastermind of the whole drugs program. And is banned for 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back