Allan Border: My Story

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin Kent made his test debut three weeks before Kim Hughes and was signed by WSC.

David Hookes made his test debut only a few months earlier and was signed by WSC.

There's a handful of blokes who never played test cricket at all but who were signed by WSC.

They signed a 19 year old Kepler Wessels to play for the Australian side, without him ever having set foot in Australia.

The signings were handled by Austin Robertson, who was also the manager of Dennis Lillee, who'd played with and against Kim Hughes for almost a decade by then.

And he's on an Ashes tour, FFS.

Kim Hughes was on their radar, and they made a conscious decision to exclude him.
I remember there was a Ross Edwards and Robbie Langer in the World Series Cricket Australian squad too.
I'm not sure if they had played Test cricket before WSC. I think Robbie Langer is the uncle of Justin Langer.
Also Kepler Wessels was introduced in second season of WSC. Somehow it related to Barry Richards as Packer apparently wanted Richards to play for the Aussie side. I think Richards must have been playing for West Australia even before WSC so Packer tried to have him in Aussie team in second season but both Richards and Chappell reckon it was not rights. Somehow Wessels name come up in conversation by Richards and talked up Wessels to do that role Packer had earmarked in second season. So Richards got out of what would have been an awkward look where he played for World XI in season one and then WSC Australians in season two if Packer had got his way.

Martin Kent made his test debut three weeks before Kim Hughes and was signed by WSC.

David Hookes made his test debut only a few months earlier and was signed by WSC.

There's a handful of blokes who never played test cricket at all but who were signed by WSC.

They signed a 19 year old Kepler Wessels to play for the Australian side, without him ever having set foot in Australia.

The signings were handled by Austin Robertson, who was also the manager of Dennis Lillee, who'd played with and against Kim Hughes for almost a decade by then.

And he's on an Ashes tour, FFS.

Kim Hughes was on their radar, and they made a conscious decision to exclude him.

In 1977? No he hadn't. Kim Hughes made his first class debut in 1975-76 - which is barely two seasons to the start of World Series Cricket. That's not remotely close to almost a decade.

I remember there was a Ross Edwards and Robbie Langer in the World Series Cricket Australian squad too.
I'm not sure if they had played Test cricket before WSC. I think Robbie Langer is the uncle of Justin Langer.
Also Kepler Wessels was introduced in second season of WSC. Somehow it related to Barry Richards as Packer apparently wanted Richards to play for the Aussie side. I think Richards must have been playing for West Australia even before WSC so Packer tried to have him in Aussie team in second season but both Richards and Chappell reckon it was not rights. Somehow Wessels name come up in conversation by Richards and talked up Wessels to do that role Packer had earmarked in second season. So Richards got out of what would have been an awkward look where he played for World XI in season one and then WSC Australians in season two if Packer had got his way.

Barry Richards played one unbelievable season (and unforgettable to those who saw it) for South Australia in 1970/71 - but to my knowledge never played for WA. Their bowlers would have had very painful memories of him though.

Barry Richards played one unbelievable season (and unforgettable to those who saw it) for South Australia in 1970/71 - but to my knowledge never played for WA. Their bowlers would have had very painful memories of him though.
Yep SA from memory , pretty sure someone wrote a book about it too. Will see if I can find it

aha, I must have been confused that it was SA against WA as it shows up in some youtube video.
I will actually have to watch it later.

aha, I must have been confused that it was SA against WA as it shows up in some youtube video.
I will actually have to watch it later.

This is it. I never get sick of watching it:

Go to about 7 minutes 30 in for the most relaxed and contemptuous treatment of a genuine quick I've ever seen. He looked like he had absolute years to play the ball.

Yeah I'd say there was no way Kim Hughes was established enough. Same reason Border wasn't. And Australia's lineup was pretty strong, even if they were known not sure they'd have deserved a spot then.

I just checked - Hughes debuted in the final test in England in 1977. Most if not all the Packer players were recruited during that tour or beforehand. He simply wouldn't have been on the radar.

Wtf was the Lillee and Marsh issue with Hughes for being an establishment man? It wasn’t like he turned down WSC to be loyal to the ACB. He wasn’t even in the frame then.

Was he supposed to have refused to of played for australia until all the World Series guys came back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wtf was the Lillee and Marsh issue with Hughes for being an establishment man? It wasn’t like he turned down WSC to be loyal to the ACB. He wasn’t even in the frame then.

Was he supposed to have refused to of played for australia until all the World Series guys came back?
No, it's because he was a brash young kid and they tried to keep him in his place, but he was too good. Typical alpha BS, and it never stopped.

This is it. I never get sick of watching it:

Go to about 7 minutes 30 in for the most relaxed and contemptuous treatment of a genuine quick I've ever seen. He looked like he had absolute years to play the ball.

Looks like a young raw Lillee bowling at fast medium rather than express in this spell.
Watching Barry Richards footage there is a bit of Mark Waugh in his style. Obviously sees ball early and loves playing off back foot. Footwork seems of less importance to him, probably because he has a good eye and quick decision making of what he doing with each ball on merit he less fussed about it.
Interesting he played in era without helmets until his veteran years in World Series Cricket.
Wonder whom first establishment player was to copy the WSC guys and wear a helmet before anyone else.
Was it Rick Darling here?

Last edited:
Looks like a young raw Lillee bowling at fast medium rather than express in this spell.
Watching Barry Richards footage there is a bit of Mark Waugh in his style. Obviously sees ball early and loves playing off back foot. Footwork seems of less importance to him, probably because he has a good eye and quick decision making of what he doing with each ball on merit he less fussed about it.
Interesting he played in era without helmets until his veteran years in World Series Cricket.
Wonder whom first establishment player was to copy the WSC guys a wear a helmet before anyone else.
Was it Rick Darling here?

Footage can be deceptive though. The year after this (in 1971/72) Lillee took 8/29 at the same venue against the World XI and Sobers said he was scary fast. It's also the same season he debuted against England and took 5 for on debut. Obviously a great pitch to bat on though which helped.

No, it's because he was a brash young kid and they tried to keep him in his place, but he was too good. Typical alpha BS, and it never stopped.

Yeah I imagined that was the real case, though it seems to be painted as they didn’t like “establishment golden boy” Hughes.

Seems rather counter productive and toxic to wanting to be a great side.

Footage can be deceptive though. The year after this (in 1971/72) Lillee took 8/29 at the same venue against the World XI and Sobers said he was scary fast. It's also the same season he debuted against England and took 5 for on debut. Obviously a great pitch to bat on though which helped.
He's also probably pretty knackered in that footage at the end of a 500 run day in the field!

The impression I get (which isn't far off what Allan Border said years back) was that they (i.e. Lillee and Marsh) assumed and thought Marsh should automatically be captain next after Greg Chappell retired, and/or when he was taking international tours off. Given his age - he turned 32 at the start of the 1979/80 season, the board opted for someone younger when Chappell wasn't available. Instead of blaming the board which at least would make sense, they decided it was all Hughes' fault. Which was just really petty and ridiculous.

A lot better.
Probably have Kim Hughes, plus one or two of Mick Taylor, Mike Haysmen or Steve Smith added to the batting order in the Tests in England.
Bowling line-up would have been a lot better with English conditions perfect for outswing bowler Terry Alderman and pace bowler Rodney Hogg.
Trevor Hohns probably replace the two spinners we actually hadi n 85 of Murray Bennett and Bob Holland.
On 1985 tour we were using Wayne Phillips as a keeper when he should be batting only.

Kepler Wessels
Wayne Phillips (open instead of keeper and allow a real keeper to do job in Steve Rixon)
Mick Taylor (was probably ready around this time but for some reason went on the Rebel Tour instead which I suspect it was money)
Kim Hughes
Allan Border
David Boon (cannot remember where he batted this early in career but might have been 6 with training wheels on)
Steve Rixon
Trevor Hohns or Mo Matthews
Lawson
McDermott
Alderman
12th man Hogg

13th man Ritchie
14th man the spinner that missed out between Hohns or Matthews
15th man Mike Haysman
16th man Rod McCurdy
17th man Steve Smith
David Hookes should've played in that series.
He would've smashed the English medium pacers all over the place.

Ross Edwards definitely played Test cricket prior to WSC.

Went to England in 72 and scored 170* in the 3rd Test. He also scored a century in the innings when Walters hit a hundred in a session against England in Perth in 74/75.

He was a very good batsman, a sensational cover fielder and also was a wicket-keeper.

He would have been mid 30s by the time WSC came around though, his Test career was well and truly over by then.

Channel 9 covered the 1977 Ashes tour (I have alluded to it in a previous post) which was a BBC feed if I remember rightly.

I know it wasn't the ABC because there were adverts in between every over.

Channel 9 definitely covered the 1985 tour. Remember watching Andrew Hilditch getting a century in the 1st test at Headingly.

1977 ashes was definitely on the ABCTV. Lived in rural WA and ABC was the only TV station.
(That was the tour where Packer cricket was organized, so I'm not sure how it would have been on Channel 9 as the fight with the Australian Cricket Board and Packer, was primarily over TV broadcasting rights)

Last edited:
All the best AB.

Pretty sad to read that. When I see AB as a somewhat frail looking old man turn up on my TV late at night for those Sunboost ads, I find it difficult to associate him as the same bloke who singlehandedly restored pride in Australian cricket in the first half of the 1980s by putting up a fight with the bat when everything else was falling apart.

Some might enjoy this.

Pretty sad to read that. When I see AB as a somewhat frail looking old man turn up on my TV late at night for those Sunboost ads, I find it difficult to associate him as the same bloke who singlehandedly restored pride in Australian cricket in the first half of the 1980s by putting up a fight with the bat when everything else was falling apart.

Some might enjoy this.

I used to walk past Bradman's place, see him pruning roses and always have a hard time reconciling the old dude I saw in front of me and the cricketer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back