Border Gavaskar Trophy, India v Australia, 1st Test 9-13 Feb, 1430hrs at Nagpur

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you really actually think in the case of this pitch they are going to any lengths at all?

Look at the Fox sports article.

It shows the entire centre square, all the wickets that have been used this season.

All of them including the one they’re using for the test, look, with varying degrees of decay, the same: Ie. they are dry and grass less where the batsmen stand and the bowlers follow through on both sides of the wicket. They are slightly more grassy in the middle.

Doesn’t that just tell you ‘these wickets are normal frequently used Asian wickets’?

No they're ******* cheats I read it on Twitter!

Um...

O'Keefe had the first test as a standout (taking 12 of his 19 wickets for the series in that test) but Lyon had 2 5 fors and a 4 for in that series, including an 8 wicket haul.

This is pretty ******* dumb.

His record in India.

Australia's premium, first picked spinner can occasionally take good wickets in India. No doubt. Not in dispute.

It's pretty rude, but you can call me dumb as much as you like. Doesn't change my views, and to be honest, embarrasses you having to resort to that language to make your point.

Because I think you are missing my point. Nathan Lyon has had a great career. He is simply not a consistent match winner against the benchmark of world cricket on pitches that should suit his bowling.

Cherry picking a few bags doesn't sway my thinking and in my humble opinion, we could have taken a risk and picked a different attack.

Perhaps a better way to put this is that Lyon, in tandem with another gun spinner, may have been a match winner.

But we never had that option so he is, in my opinion, fairly judged as a bloody decent player, but no match winner in India as I would want the number one spinner picked for Australia, to be.

At his age, and with his record, over a long period, and with no gun options barging the door down, I can see why he was picked. But a more daring selection panel might have seen a gamble pay off.

Of course that is hindsight. But I would have thrown that dice because it would have given the Indian batsmen something they weren't expecting.

Of course he will be picked for every match, and I am desperate for him to succeed and wipe egg all over my face.

Feel free to reply, maybe without the gratuitous insults. It's simply my opinion, and what I would have argued at the selection committee table, if I was ever so blessed to be part of one.

His record in India.

Australia's premium, first picked spinner can occasionally take good wickets in India. No doubt. Not in dispute.

It's pretty rude, but you can call me dumb as much as you like. Doesn't change my views, and to be honest, embarrasses you having to resort to that language to make your point.

Because I think you are missing my point. Nathan Lyon has had a great career. He is simply not a consistent match winner against the benchmark of world cricket on pitches that should suit his bowling.

Cherry picking a few bags doesn't sway my thinking and in my humble opinion, we could have taken a risk and picked a different attack.

Perhaps a better way to put this is that Lyon, in tandem with another gun spinner, may have been a match winner.

But we never had that option so he is, in my opinion, fairly judged as a bloody decent player, but no match winner in India as I would want the number one spinner picked for Australia, to be.

At his age, and with his record, over a long period, and with no gun options barging the door down, I can see why he was picked. But a more daring selection panel might have seen a gamble pay off.

Of course that is hindsight. But I would have thrown that dice because it would have given the Indian batsmen something they weren't expecting.

Of course he will be picked for every match, and I am desperate for him to succeed and wipe egg all over my face.

Feel free to reply, maybe without the gratuitous insults. It's simply my opinion, and what I would have argued at the selection committee table, if I was ever so blessed to be part of one.
You said this:
Lyon is not effective in India. You've cherry picked one innings from three tours. That's insane.
You've now shifted the goalposts away from one innings to an entire tour.

Excluding the best bits of a bowler's history is as poor as only including the bits which shine.

Also, have another read of my exceedingly short post. At no point did I call you stupid or insult you in any way.

You said this:

You've now shifted the goalposts away from one innings to an entire tour.

Excluding the best bits of a bowler's history is as poor as only including the bits which shine.

Also, have another read of my exceedingly short post. At no point did I call you stupid or insult you in any way.
Um...

O'Keefe had the first test as a standout (taking 12 of his 19 wickets for the series in that test) but Lyon had 2 5 fors and a 4 for in that series, including an 8 wicket haul.

This is pretty ******* dumb.

The word "insane" was placed by the poster I originally responded to who claimed not picking our best spinner was insane. You in turn used the word "dumb". If that's not directed at my intelligence, I apologise for misconstruing the intent. Perhaps you can see how it was interpreted in that way.

I don't really see how I have shifted any goalposts - I was refencing his entire career in India, apart from when I specifically responded to the claim I was ignoring his 8 for. No, I didn't ignore the 5 and 4 fors either, but I didn't quote them. Perhaps, I should have.

I've repeatedly said I think Lyon is a good bowler, with a good record, but my opinion is we should move on from him. What people are disagreeing with is my contention that he is not really super effective in India. Over three tours, I can acknowledge he hasn't been our worst performer, but my point is I want more than that from my front line spinner, on these pitches.

Praying like crazy he proves me wrong in the 2nd test and he utterly mesmerises them.

I dont understand Aussie media.. why are they so obsessed about pitches ?

What do they expect ? A bouncy green pitch in INdia ?
Any venue in India will have low bounce spinning pitch some might start turning on day 1

I expect Delhi pitch to be flat on day 1 and then go lower slower and spin from day 2

Maybe I have rose tinted glasses and maybe it’s just the saturation of sports media now compared to when I was younger but beyond Tony Greig’s pitch reports and the usual pre-game newspaper spiel about Sydney’s spin or Perth’s bounce or Adelaide’s batsman friendliness I don’t ever recall there begin so much crap about pitches.

Or selections for that matter. Anything to avoid talking about the actual match that’s happening or about to happen

The word "insane" was placed by the poster I originally responded to who claimed not picking our best spinner was insane. You in turn used the word "dumb". If that's not directed at my intelligence, I apologise for misconstruing the intent. Perhaps you can see how it was interpreted in that way.
I can, but I'm pretty careful with language.
I don't really see how I have shifted any goalposts - I was refencing his entire career in India, apart from when I specifically responded to the claim I was ignoring his 8 for. No, I didn't ignore the 5 and 4 fors either, but I didn't quote them. Perhaps, I should have.
It's exceedingly difficult to judge a spinner in India. On one hand, they get the best conditions; on the other, they have to deal with the best players of spin on the planet.
I've repeatedly said I think Lyon is a good bowler, with a good record, but my opinion is we should move on from him. What people are disagreeing with is my contention that he is not really super effective in India. Over three tours, I can acknowledge he hasn't been our worst performer, but my point is I want more than that from my front line spinner, on these pitches.
My contention is that no-one is super effective in India, and for us to play the best version of Australian cricket we need him in the XI.
Praying like crazy he proves me wrong in the 2nd test and he utterly mesmerises them.
Lyon in the last series in India needed a test to really play to the conditions. They also played him pretty carefully.

There's every chance he can turn it around. He's spent his entire career finding his best with his back to the wall.

Maybe I have rose tinted glasses and maybe it’s just the saturation of sports media now compared to when I was younger but beyond Tony Greig’s pitch reports and the usual pre-game newspaper spiel about Sydney’s spin or Perth’s bounce or Adelaide’s batsman friendliness I don’t ever recall there begin so much crap about pitches.

Or selections for that matter. Anything to avoid talking about the actual match that’s happening or about to happen
I guess the media talking about the pitches gets the clicks.

In all honesty, Indian pitches are what they are. They've never changed over the past 50 years.

Do you really actually think in the case of this pitch they are going to any lengths at all?

Look at the Fox sports article.

It shows the entire centre square, all the wickets that have been used this season.

All of them including the one they’re using for the test, look, with varying degrees of decay, the same: Ie. they are dry and grass less where the batsmen stand and the bowlers follow through on both sides of the wicket. They are slightly more grassy in the middle.

Doesn’t that just tell you ‘these wickets are normal frequently used Asian wickets’?

depends what the other ones looked like before being used in a game......

doesnt matter what they look like after a game, its how the look before a bowl is bowled (do they always have the rough outside the left handers off stump more rough than the right handers offstump etc?

i personally dont care, they should enjoy the challenge of playing in india, but no doubt the indians are preparing them to advantage their team as best as they can, especially given we have LHB and they dont.

Well there's been an explosion of sports journalists and channels in the last few decades and the demand for content seems higher and higher. Just look at the AFL.

So everything gets talked about more. I'll agree that intelligent analysis of the technical aspects of the actual game has not grown proportionally.

I'm still trying to work out the sudden need for Kuhnemann.
If two spinners isn’t enough (ignoring Head who is ok) why would three make it any better? I personally don’t think Lyon’s type of bowling is suited to India so I’m confused as to what they are thinking. Hope it goes well but on the face of it, it appears bizarre

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If two spinners isn’t enough (ignoring Head who is ok) why would three make it any better? I personally don’t think Lyon’s type of bowling is suited to India so I’m confused as to what they are thinking. Hope it goes well but on the face of it, it appears bizarre
Left arm variation would be my guess.

Back