Border Gavaskar Trophy, India v Australia, 1st Test 9-13 Feb, 1430hrs at Nagpur

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw that India are #1 ranked in the world again, not sure how this happened I thought we were like 10 rating points ahead of them. Our body of work over the last few years has been more impressive than there's as well

Few years back attended a local cricket day with Stars....all the team spent the day with kids doing drills, photos, autographs it was great....kids were so excited but mostly to meet their hero Maxy.

He rolled out onto the ground about 3 hours after the event started for about 15 minutes dragging his feet looking like he'd rather be in the pits of hell. Sunglasses on acting like he was king s**t wouldn't sign an autograph for any of the kids. Posed briefly for a team photo with a few kids involved also, was asked by photographer to remove sunnies, everyone took them off except him, was asked again....he refused and said very rudely 'take the photo get on with it'...immediately walked off the ground and didn't show his face for the remainder of the 3 hours the players were there. Ive heard other similar stories over the years he is all about himself.
Thats interesting . All of my interactions with him have been the opposite of that .

We flogged a few minnows at home, we never deserved to be number 1.

Yep, I think most cricket judges would appreciate India is a better team than us. That's not to say we can't beat them, but on their home grounds, it's a tough task.

Just saw that India are #1 ranked in the world again, not sure how this happened I thought we were like 10 rating points ahead of them. Our body of work over the last few years has been more impressive than there's as well

Lyon is not effective in India. You've cherry picked one innings from three tours. That's insane.
Um...

O'Keefe had the first test as a standout (taking 12 of his 19 wickets for the series in that test) but Lyon had 2 5 fors and a 4 for in that series, including an 8 wicket haul.

This is pretty ******* dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's cooked. And the only ones suggesting his return are largely parochial viccos. How you could even conceive the selectors picking a bloke on the sole basis he scored a rogue ton in india 6 years ago, and has since showed nothing in the long form of the game. Not just that....he is coming off a serious injury and a long break from cricket, and taking away his 104 in Ranchi, only averages 13 across 8 innings vs India both home and abroad.

Its unspeakably dumb to suggest he would even make a remote jot of difference to this side and disrespectful to a number of other players who are rightly well ahead of this player who is and should be in full end of career mode.

None of that even begins to then also touch on his corrosive selfish personality that he brings to cricket sides that is the last thing this team needs currently.... same with Zampa. Ive witnessed the manner that Maxwell interacted with students first hand at a local schools cricket day and i was absolutely disgusted.

Good post.

At times he's been lucky to keep his spot in the Australian short form teams. He definitely shouldn't be near our test team.

I think there is a strong chance Kuhnemann and if fit Starc come in for Bolland and Renshaw. Leaves the tail very long though.

Green should only play if he can bowl. His batting isn't good enough on it's own at this stage.

We need him fit as then I'd only pick Cummins and three spinners.

Last edited:
"Early inspection of the wicket reveals an area sedated in the middle where the seamers pitch, but a crack house being constructed on a length for the spinners."

:think: shocked to be sitting here

Why are they going to such crazy lengths, is there a threat of death if they don’t win this series?

Or is it just to get in our heads?

Why are they going to such crazy lengths, is there a threat of death if they don’t win this series?

Or is it just to get in our heads?

Do you really actually think in the case of this pitch they are going to any lengths at all?

Look at the Fox sports article.

It shows the entire centre square, all the wickets that have been used this season.

All of them including the one they’re using for the test, look, with varying degrees of decay, the same: Ie. they are dry and grass less where the batsmen stand and the bowlers follow through on both sides of the wicket. They are slightly more grassy in the middle.

Doesn’t that just tell you ‘these wickets are normal frequently used Asian wickets’?

How many non-minnows are there? 2?

Just India apparently.

England - minnow
NZ - minnow
Pakistan - minnow
SA - minnow
WI - minnow

Sides we have beaten at home in last 5 years.

It’s a problem in all world cricket, not enough time preparing for tests, lop sided tests everywhere.

Need more test cricket in Pakistan, a good side and not too good, wickets that do * all, making for even cricket.

In all seriousness all countries are to blame for this. Not giving sides proper warm up games and generally trying to screw over the travelling side as much as possible.

Again except Pakistan, they are very nice as they want people to tour there. So nice they give the opposition a good game without actually winning.

Do you really actually think in the case of this pitch they are going to any lengths at all?

Look at the Fox sports article.

It shows the entire centre square, all the wickets that have been used this season.

All of them including the one they’re using for the test, look, with varying degrees of decay, the same: Ie. they are dry and grass less where the batsmen stand and the bowlers follow through on both sides of the wicket. They are slightly more grassy in the middle.

Doesn’t that just tell you ‘these wickets are normal frequently used Asian wickets’?

I think it’s more trying to get into our heads. Last test we looked beaten before we even got out there.

Biggest issue with our tour is we didn’t prepare properly.

One thing not being talked about enough was how s**t our bowling was on day 1, Cummins completely misjudged the conditions and leaked runs and got us way behind in the game. Now if we had them at like 1/40 at stumps instead of 80, we could
of had them 5/130 or so on day 2.

2004 side learnt the lesson from 2001 of having to be defensive and dry up the boundaries to Indian batsmen, swallow pride/ego as once they get a couple of boundaries the crowd get into it and they get carried along with that energy/momentum.

We flogged a few minnows at home, we never deserved to be number 1.
Whitewashed England 4-0, hammered South Africa who India lost to 12 months ago

Yep, I think most cricket judges would appreciate India is a better team than us. That's not to say we can't beat them, but on their home grounds, it's a tough task.
I'd back us to beat them in England in a WTC final if it came to it

I think it’s more trying to get into our heads. Last test we looked beaten before we even got out there.

Biggest issue with our tour is we didn’t prepare properly.

One thing not being talked about enough was how s**t our bowling was on day 1, Cummins completely misjudged the conditions and leaked runs and got us way behind in the game. Now if we had them at like 1/40 at stumps instead of 80, we could
of had them 5/130 or so on day 2.

2004 side learnt the lesson from 2001 of having to be defensive and dry up the boundaries to Indian batsmen, swallow pride/ego as once they get a couple of boundaries the crowd get into it and they get carried along with that energy/momentum.

The last test that looked legitimately dodgy.

For all anyone knows, they may have actually tried to simply prepare the follow throughs differently so they held up but I thought it looked very sus.

This pitch just looks normal and the Australian media have made something out of nothing

Back