Alternative Grand Finalists 2000-2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because it's the off season and to lighten the mood a bit, I was chatting to a Carlton fan earlier about Carlton going out in straight sets in 1994 and thought, 'what could have been?' So what could have been in different results occurred in the preliminary finals? I.e the losers won and played in a GF? Let's go from 2000-2017.

2000. Carlton v North - Carlton
We are no chance in 2000 without Silvagni and Kouta.
We lost Kouta about 4 weeks earlier when he was playing like superman.
Then Hickmott for a few weeks around the same time as Bradley.
Got Bradley just back and then Silvagni rips hamstring from bone late in semi-final when we were 13 goals up. Never felt more gutted in my life being up so much in a game but knowing our season was totally gone.
Sometimes your luck is just not in, even when you got the side that can win the premiership.

2008 alternative Grand Final would've seen either St Kilda or Western Bulldogs win their 2nd flag rather than the 2 best teams of the year in Geelong and Hawthorn that season. Would've been a cracker, too

2008 alternative Grand Final would've seen either St Kilda or Western Bulldogs win their 2nd flag rather than the 2 best teams of the year in Geelong and Hawthorn that season. Would've been a cracker, too
Dogs would have been favourite.

Not only did the Bulldogs finish higher on the ladder, but they beat the Saints in round three that year (despite being about seven goals down). Both teams played Geelong and Hawthorn that finals series too and the Saints' respective losses were by greater margins.

It would have been a great game, I have no doubt.

Some other alternative Grand Finals where if the Preliminary Finals decided by a kick or less are reversed:

2004: Brisbane vs St Kilda
2006: Sydney vs Adelaide*
2007: Port vs Collingwood
2011: Geelong vs Hawthorn
2012: Sydney vs Adelaide
2013: Geelong vs Fremantle
2014: Sydney vs Port
2016: Sydney vs GWS

*10 point margin but the margin was 4 when the final siren sounded.

Interesting hypotheticals.

Last edited:
Some other alternative Grand Finals where if the Preliminary Finals decided by a kick or less are reversed:

You forgot 2004 for some reason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really hate North don’t you?

There is no way in 2015 we would have lost to Freo on the G.

'No way' is a bit overconfident.

We did beat you by 73 points at Subi and only lost to you by 11 points in the return leg at Etihad.

2004: Brisbane vs St Kilda
2006: Sydney vs Adelaide*

*10 point margin but the margin was 4 when the final siren sounded.

A lot of Hawks supporters almost breath a retrospective sigh of relief as we pretty much always have it over the Cats in finals “when it matters” ie sudden death finals.

This would have bee severely tested had we made the 2011 GF. It might have been a good game, as our games with the Cats often were, but they were SOOO much better than us that year

2009 Dogs vs Pies would’ve been cracking. **** they were strong for third and fourth placed sides (could include Adelaide in fifth that year too).

All of them would probably contend the Grand Final most years.
3 PF in a row for the WB, they were incredibly good. 2008 would've been interesting if it was a Hawks v WB GF. I think the WB were stiff to come up against some really good sides those years, Geelong and then St Kilda twice who were really strong.

Glad they got their flag in 16 for those supporters.

Thanks, you just admitted it. It was the ground, it wasn't you.

Not sure where I admitted anything. You had your pathetic comment up there about Adelaide not being able to play the MCG and I just said statistically we played it better than Melbourne.

You don’t always need to go for the cheap likes, just be yourself that’s what’s really cool

Not sure where I admitted anything. You had your pathetic comment up there about Adelaide not being able to play the MCG and I just said statistically we played it better than Melbourne.

You don’t always need to go for the cheap likes, just be yourself that’s what’s really cool
It's not actually about whether you play it better than us, it whether you can play it in the last day of the year. And you can't.

It's not actually about whether you play it better than us, it whether you can play it in the last day of the year. And you can't.
Been a while since Melbourne have even been involved in the last day of the year, and when they did:

2000 - 10 goal thrashing
1988 - 96 point super thrashing

The last time you won one ... 1964, a 4 point win.

141006_1964.jpg

Any of these guys still on your list?

Yep, Melbourne supporters should be making fun of AFC's performance in Grand Finals. Checks out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back