Another Rumour - Travis Cloke - Massive offer by Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, your memory is definitely letting you down - Eddie became president in 1998, not 1994.

I find it very hard to believe that any Collingwood supporter would want to go back to the way it was before Eddie stepped in. We were an absolute rabble, both on field and off field.

So, as an actual Collingwood support and member, not just the friend of a friend's cousin's butcher, I can tell you that I want Eddie to remain our President.

I am still a little concerned about the fact that you seem more interested in the things happening at our club than your own. Are you sure you don't harbour some secret love for the Pies? Come on... admit it.

DeeKay certainly has unique friends, i'm yet to meet or hear from any Pie supporter who wants us to go back to the pre-Eddie days.
Theres always that small minority who like to complain for the sake of it though...

OneEyed35, You have raised a number of interesting points, most of which I agree with. I would be pleased to respond to the other points. It’s a bit off the thread of the Travis Cloke story but you did ask. You may like to start a new thread.

Regarding my age, I am over 50 so I can remember what Collingwood was like before Eddie.

Since Eddie has been in charge, a lot has changed at all the clubs. When Eddie was voted in by the Collingwood members nearly 20 years ago, in 1994, most of the Melbourne based clubs were in financial trouble. South Melbourne had already moved to Sydney years before. Richmond was saved by the “Save Our Skins” campaign in 1990 (thanks Kevin Sheedy, Tom Hafey and others). In 1996, Fitzroy and North Melbourne were looking at a merger with Fitzroy eventually being forced to move to Brisbane in 1996. Also in 1996, Melbourne and Hawthorn very nearly merged and probably would have if not for the efforts to stop it by Don Scott and Dermott Brereton. St Kilda and Footscray also had their financial troubles. Carlton had John Elliott and Dick Pratt to save it.

In the end, what saved ALL the clubs was the introduction of PayTV in Australia and the huge increase in revenue for the AFL from TV broadcast rights. Eddie just happened to be in the right place at the right time. All the clubs, including Collingwood made it to this point with the efforts of a small number of inspirational leaders (Eddie being one of them) and, more importantly, their members and supporters. Out of all the people involved at all the clubs, Eddie is the only one who perpetuates the myth that he alone saved his club. It’s just propaganda.

Regarding Eddie’s work effort, I agree he loves the club and puts in a massive effort. So he should - he’s the President. It’s privilege and you need to keep earning it.

Every President, player, official and staff member at every club does the same – there’s nothing special about Eddie. The other Presidents quietly get on with the job of dealing with the administration, finding sponsors and helping their clubs in other ways.

What I have observed during Eddie’s reign is a destructive change in the culture of the club and the impact this has had on my family and friends who are Collingwood supporters. I speak for them because they are too afraid to speak for themselves. They want change but they don’t want to get a whack from Eddie in the process. “You’re just one of the haters” would be a typical response from Eddie to any fair criticism.

The most destructive change to the Collingwood culture is the celebration of the “It’s us versus them” slogan. It is aggressive, finger pointing and divisive. It invites conflict. No other club does this. It is a classic propaganda technique used in warfare for centuries and is unhealthy. A psychologist I know says it appeals to the “victim” in supporters and forces them to be on guard at all times. For many supporters (in my experience, most supporters), it’s not fun anymore to barrack for Collingwood. The Collingwood supporters I know do not want to be victims, they just want to enjoy their footy. They love Collingwood as much as anyone and could never considering leaving - and they want their club back. This can only happen when Eddie steps down. Eventually he will, but how long do they have to wait?

The problem is, there are so many conflicts of interest between Eddie’s business interests and his Club Presidency it is impossible for anyone to unravel them and, in my opinion, impossible for Eddie to see them. Someone needs to tap Eddie on the shoulder and say, ”Thanks mate, you’ve done a great job, but it’s time to go”.
What a long-winded spin on the world you've given us DK. You're over 50, like I am, so we can both remember the Tigers' glory days, when your mob invariably had it over us. Now the tables are turned well and truly, and yet you're haunting our board, purporting to represent a host of disaffected magpie followers, who you allege think just like you, saying they hate how Eddy has changed the club, and want things back the way they used to be.

You my stripey friend, live in cloud-cookoo land. This host of Magpie-following friends you speak of don't really exist (except in your addled brain), but even if they did, they would be precious few, and not fair-dinkum Magpie supporters.

I LOVE what Eddy has done for the Pies, and will always be grateful that he stepped in and orchestrated the resurrection of our great club in our hour of need, at a time when the AFL told us they wouldn't help us out financially, and would indeed be comfortable with us going the way of old Fitzroy. You say that our re-generation would have happened anyway because of the $$ generated by Pay TV, yet that denies the fact that we are the most-watched club in the land, and we are the flagship of the AFL's product for TV.

I suggest that you go back and infest your own board, as your misguided proppganda doesn't wash here. If you were a true Tiger, why not invest your efforts in helping your club to sort out its own diabolical mess?

What a long-winded spin on the world you've given us DK. You're over 50, like I am, so you can remember the Tigers' glory days, when your mob invariably had it over us. Now the tables are turned well and truly, and yet your haunting our board, purporting to represent a host of disaffected magpie followers, who you allege think just like you, saying they hate how Eddy has changed the club, and what things back the way they used to be.

You my stripey friend, live in cloud-cookoo land. This host of Magpie-following friends you speak of don't really exist (except in your addled brain), but even if they did, they would be precious few, and not fair-dinkum Magpie supporters.

I LOVE what Eddy has done for the Pies, and will always be grateful that he stepped in and orchestrated the resurrection of our great club in our hour of need, at a time when the AFL told us they wouldn't help us out financially, and would be indeed be comfortable with us going the way of old Fitzroy. You say that our re-generation would have happened anyway because of the $$ generated by Pay TV, yet that denies the fact that we are the most-watched club in the land, and we are the flagship of the AFL's product for TV.

I suggest that you go back and infest your own board, as your misguided proppganda doesn't wash here. If you were a true Tiger, why not invest your efforts in helping your club to sort out its own diabolical mess?

I love you Salty Malty <3
DeeKay GTFO, you're lucky we have nice mods over at the collingwood board :D

Every President, player, official and staff member at every club does the same – there’s nothing special about Eddie. The other Presidents quietly get on with the job of dealing with the administration, finding sponsors and helping their clubs in other ways.

Oh yes, there is something special about Eddie... he happens to be a lot better at helping his club than other Presidents. Just look at Richmond... If the revival was going to happen regardless of Eddie, thanks to the television rights, then why are so many other clubs struggling?

And you can't compare his efforts to players and staff members... he doesn't get paid a cent for the work that he does for us. In fact, I would say that it's probably even to the detriment of his own family. But that's how much he loves the club.

From the article:

"You either have an environment players and people want to be a part of or you don't," ...

"You sort of don't sell it, you just live it and we believe we're living it at the moment."

Nathan Buckley, 03/05/2012

/END OF THREAD

OneEyed35, You have raised a number of interesting points, most of which I agree with. I would be pleased to respond to the other points. It’s a bit off the thread of the Travis Cloke story but you did ask. You may like to start a new thread.

Regarding my age, I am over 50 so I can remember what Collingwood was like before Eddie.

Since Eddie has been in charge, a lot has changed at all the clubs. When Eddie was voted in by the Collingwood members nearly 20 years ago, in 1994, most of the Melbourne based clubs were in financial trouble. South Melbourne had already moved to Sydney years before. Richmond was saved by the “Save Our Skins” campaign in 1990 (thanks Kevin Sheedy, Tom Hafey and others). In 1996, Fitzroy and North Melbourne were looking at a merger with Fitzroy eventually being forced to move to Brisbane in 1996. Also in 1996, Melbourne and Hawthorn very nearly merged and probably would have if not for the efforts to stop it by Don Scott and Dermott Brereton. St Kilda and Footscray also had their financial troubles. Carlton had John Elliott and Dick Pratt to save it.

In the end, what saved ALL the clubs was the introduction of PayTV in Australia and the huge increase in revenue for the AFL from TV broadcast rights. Eddie just happened to be in the right place at the right time. All the clubs, including Collingwood made it to this point with the efforts of a small number of inspirational leaders (Eddie being one of them) and, more importantly, their members and supporters. Out of all the people involved at all the clubs, Eddie is the only one who perpetuates the myth that he alone saved his club. It’s just propaganda.

Regarding Eddie’s work effort, I agree he loves the club and puts in a massive effort. So he should - he’s the President. It’s privilege and you need to keep earning it.

What I have observed during Eddie’s reign is a destructive change in the culture of the club and the impact this has had on my family and friends who are Collingwood supporters. I speak for them because they are too afraid to speak for themselves. They want change but they don’t want to get a whack from Eddie in the process. “You’re just one of the haters” would be a typical response from Eddie to any fair criticism.

The most destructive change to the Collingwood culture is the celebration of the “It’s us versus them” slogan. It is aggressive, finger pointing and divisive. It invites conflict. No other club does this. It is a classic propaganda technique used in warfare for centuries and is unhealthy. A psychologist I know says it appeals to the “victim” in supporters and forces them to be on guard at all times. For many supporters (in my experience, most supporters), it’s not fun anymore to barrack for Collingwood. The Collingwood supporters I know do not want to be victims, they just want to enjoy their footy. They love Collingwood as much as anyone and could never considering leaving - and they want their club back. This can only happen when Eddie steps down. Eventually he will, but how long do they have to wait?

The problem is, there are so many conflicts of interest between Eddie’s business interests and his Club Presidency it is impossible for anyone to unravel them and, in my opinion, impossible for Eddie to see them. Someone needs to tap Eddie on the shoulder and say, ”Thanks mate, you’ve done a great job, but it’s time to go”.

Your an absolute joke mate, go back to supporting your always mediocre football side.

its funny the 99% of collingwood supporters love Eddie (I being one)

and yet everyone else from other clubs hates him.

Jealousy is a terrible thing

From the article:

"You either have an environment players and people want to be a part of or you don't," ...

"You sort of don't sell it, you just live it and we believe we're living it at the moment."

Nathan Buckley, 03/05/2012

/END OF THREAD

Agree and Very Well said by Bucks

OneEyed35, You have raised a number of

\
Rule Number One - When opposition supporters are calling for your president to stand down, he must be doing a great job.

Rule Number Two - When Richmond supporters are calling for your President to stand down, you can just ignore it because they wouldnt know a good President if he (or she) unzipped them and gave them the time of their lives.

Rules Number Three - I like opposition supporters giving their opinions on the Pies. It gives me time to check my email.

Rule Number Four - Dont waste time on opposition supporters....

oops, just broke Rule 4...

There has been a further offer to Harry Obrien from a WA club? I think we will hear it on the news tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has been a further offer to Harry Obrien from a WA club? I think we will hear it on the news tonight.
What?????

The same Harry O'Brien that opposition supporters on BF are calling useless???

Jeeze they must be scraping the bottom of the barrel eh??

Must have found you one layer above eh??

Go play with the rest of the kids son and let the adults discuss football :rolleyes:

Breaking news - swans would like Cloke thru free agency, would have to offer him 1million +, they havnt commented, cloke hasnt re-signed yet with the magpies.

Back page PLZ :D

My friend you and people of your ilk are a constant reminder of why it is Collingwood v the rest,on your contention about us being victims well it is not so much victims as being victimized which is the truth.

Which other club on big footy has as many negative posts about them as on big footy,why don,t you piss off back to your own board and leave us in peace you claim to be over 50 but you act like a petulant spoiled brat do us all a favour and go and play in traffic.

I was the one earlier in the year said Cloke would be coming to WA but you never believed me.

I was the one earlier in the year said Cloke would be coming to WA but you never believed me.

2467767.jpg

Loved Eddie's quip on MMM this morning that he was busy on the phone to Nathan Fyfe. LOL fight fire with fire

Loved Eddie's quip on MMM this morning that he was busy on the phone to Nathan Fyfe. LOL fight fire with fire

LOL i was listening to MMM when he was chatting with Sheedy, when was this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back