Recommitted Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti [re-signed until 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of me thinks that it would reflect poorly on Tippa if he left Essendon for more money, given that they were the only team willing to give him a shot at AFL Level, but I don't think he will leave anyway and i understand he has to try maximize his earnings in all the time he has left in the game (hopefully many more years)

I am sure Essendon will have learnt the lessons from Carlton, who almost till this day, have paid the price over letting Eddie Betts go over a matter of financial remuneration.

Was more referring to players from the same team, but that's a good example you provided. Had no idea McCarthy and Neale were mates tbh

Hartley + Tippa would go a long way towards improving some of the weaknesses in our list, with a one-on-one KPD and elite small forward the two biggest needs
Figured you were referring but it wasn't stated ;)

I'm not concerned about Tippa, can't see him leaving. Marketability is too great to let go.

Figured you were referring but it wasn't stated ;)

I'm not concerned about Tippa, can't see him leaving. Marketability is too great to let go.
Yeah completely agree. His marketability is worth at least an extra 100k-200k on his contract. Seeing the way the kids look at him when he plays, you just don't get that reaction from many players around the AFL. He's one of the last players Essendon would want to be letting go

Part of me thinks that it would reflect poorly on Tippa if he left Essendon for more money, given that they were the only team willing to give him a shot at AFL Level, but I don't think he will leave anyway and i understand he has to try maximize his earnings in all the time he has left in the game (hopefully many more years)

I am sure Essendon will have learnt the lessons from Carlton, who almost till this day, have paid the price over letting Eddie Betts go over a matter of financial remuneration.

Was thinking exactly the same thing, I hope he stays and gets the renumeration he deserves.

Part of me thinks that it would reflect poorly on Tippa if he left Essendon for more money, given that they were the only team willing to give him a shot at AFL Level,
Nah.

Make hay.

I'm getting more unsure by the day of him re-signing. Saw a post on facebook when James Brayshaw had said on radio that Tippa owes Essendon some loyalty due to them giving him a chance when nobody else would & his adoptive mother who brought him to Gippsland (Jane McDonald) responded saying that no AFL club helped him and basically that he got where he did by himself through hard work & with her help.

Hartley will go & that'd be a huge factor for Tippa. Not that his best mate is leaving & he couldn't cope without him, more that if he were to go to a new club where he doesn't know anyone & isn't familiar with his surroundings, he'd be nervous & uncomfortable - that's his personality type, he's naturally a shy quiet young man & think this factor is overlooked a bit when discussing player movement between clubs. If you're an introverted anxious sort of person, you're not going to want to leave your club where you're already comfortable & go in to a new environment and basically start again with building new relationships, getting used to new surroundings, coaches etc. but I think that if Harts went to the dogs it'd definitely make things a lot easier and a more comfortable transition for Walla to make, having someone he knows as a sort of security blanket while he settles in at a new club.

Last edited:
I'm getting more unsure by the day of him re-signing. Saw a post on facebook when James Brayshaw had said on radio that Tippa owes Essendon some loyalty due to them giving him a chance when nobody else would & his adoptive mother who brought him to Gippsland (Jane McDonald) responded saying that no AFL club helped him and basically that he got where he did by himself through hard work & with her help.

Hartley will go & that'd be a huge factor for Tippa. Not that his best mate is leaving & he couldn't cope without him, more that if he were to go to a new club where he doesn't know anyone & isn't familiar with his surroundings, he'd be nervous & uncomfortable - that's his personality type, he's naturally a shy quiet young man & think this factor is overlooked a bit when discussing player movement between clubs. If you're an introverted anxious sort of person, you're not going to want to leave your club where you're already comfortable & go in to a new environment and basically start again with building new relationships, getting used to new surroundings, coaches etc. but I think that if Harts went to the dogs it'd definitely make things a lot easier and a more comfortable transition for Walla to make having someone he knows as a sort of security blanket while he settles in at a new club.
Fair call too
He earned his list spot and his current demand
Hoping we pay up. He's certainly worth it. Just starting to click with Stringer.

Fair call too
He earned his list spot and his current demand
Hoping we pay up. He's certainly worth it. Just starting to click with Stringer.
Agree, he can be inconsistent (think that's starting to fade out) but even when having a quiet game he steps up in the big moments & you need to keep players like that. His opponent would be nervous all game. I wouldn't want to play on him. Hope we pay up for him but would understand him leaving if we don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Essendon don't match any other offer out there, they're run by complete idiots. But I don't think they're run by complete idiots.
Not really, he is a good player but not the sort of player that you over pay for. If another club offers a stupid amount at him they would be better off letting him walk.

I think he will re-sign on a good contract though.

Doubt that. He wasn’t some unstoppable force at vfl level. He was good player with flashes of brilliance who was still sub par with his conditioning. We certainly took a chance on him when no one else was. This reeks of greedy over bearing parent.

Doubt that. He wasn’t some unstoppable force at vfl level. He was good player with flashes of brilliance who was still sub par with his conditioning. We certainly took a chance on him when no one else was. This reeks of greedy over bearing parent.

This reeks of a story created on BigFooty.

Really don’t see how anyone could question Jane’s parenting here. Adopting Walla from the Tiwi islands and then putting in a ton of time to work one on with him just to improve his life is a very selfless thing to do.

Really don’t see how anyone could question Jane’s parenting here. Adopting Walla from the Tiwi islands and then putting in a ton of time to work one on with him just to improve his life is a very selfless thing to do.

It reads harsher than I intended; purely based assumed veracity of the statement and others which have implied that she dictates his finances, which if untrue is inapplicable. It's an entirely conditional charge.

The post claimed that she said no one helped him but her. A bit of a self congratulatory statement and simultaneous disregard on the role of the football club and relationships he's formed there. She is to be commended for her role in his life but that doesn't mean she is forever beyond err. Her perspective of him might be born from ignorance to the reality of the financial value of his role and rose coloured glasses when judging him.

Last edited:
It reads harsher than I intended; purely based assumed veracity of the statement and others which have implied that she dictates his finances, which if untrue is inapplicable. It's an entirely conditional charge.

The post claimed that she said no one helped him but her. A bit of a self congratulatory statement and simultaneous disregard on the role of the football club and relationships he's formed there. She is to be commended for her role in his life but that doesn't mean she is forever beyond err. Her perspective of him might be born from ignorance to the reality of the financial value of his role and rose coloured glasses when judging him.

I imagine it’s a good thing that Tippa has her input/control of the finances as given where he’s from I imagine he faced a lot of pressure to give his money to his family/friends.

I guess but I can imagine her being stung by the comments that he owes Essendon for all his success. Overall I think the notion that players owe clubs anything is a bit silly.

To be honest in this situation I think it’s the manager and Walla just playing the game to make it look like he’d consider moving to force Essendon to pay closer to market value. I’m happy for all players to do this as median player wages last time I checked have not being rising proportionally with the cap as the majority of the money has gone to the star players of the competition.

I imagine it’s a good thing that Tippa has her input/control of the finances as given where he’s from I imagine he faced a lot of pressure to give his money to his family/friends.

I guess but I can imagine her being stung by the comments that he owes Essendon for all his success. Overall I think the notion that players owe clubs anything is a bit silly.

To be honest in this situation I think it’s the manager and Walla just playing the game to make it look like he’d consider moving to force Essendon to pay closer to market value. I’m happy for all players to do this as median player wages last time I checked have not being rising proportionally with the cap as the majority of the money has gone to the star players of the competition.

I don't think it was insinuated he owes all his success to Essendon. Just that they took a chance on him when others didn't and gave him the chance to improve through VFL when others wouldn't. Of course clubs are doing whats best for themselves but rarely does a player in Tipungwati's early conditioning get given a chance and a lot of resources in man hours of advice and coaching. I'd imagine Tippa is very grateful for it, but it does worry me when I hear a guardian is directly in control, as any sense of gratitude is one step removed and less of a factor in retention. Think Tom Scully.

This reeks of a story created on BigFooty.

Some bogan had commented that he'd be nowhere without EFC so he does owe us as we'd brought him down from Tiwi and without our influence he would still be there, she obviously took enough offence to respond to the comment saying that (before his career obviously) the club did nothing for Anthony, didn't bring him down from Tiwi - he asked her to take him home with her to Drouin for schooling and she did, the club paid none of his keep and he owes them nothing. Like I'd bother making up something as potentially meaningless as her commenting on a facebook post that Anthony had worked hard to get himself where he is and without an AFL club's support. Totally possible I'm taking too much out of her defensive comment, but that's why I mentioned it in a post about how I am reading the situation & didn't say that everyone else should panic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back