Society/Culture AnZAC day has become a white male fest that reinforces Turnbull's 'Australian values'

Remove this Banner Ad

The frenzied outrage over the harmless comment that Yassmin Abdel-Magied wrote on whatever dopey social media website she has was interesting to say the least. Reminded me of the vitriol directed previously at Adam Goodes
It just wasn't the right time for a political statement. She realised that straight away

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

It just wasn't the right time for a political statement. She realised that straight away

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Anzac Day is all about political statements. That's why politicians are front and centre with their messages of nationalism and patriotism. I think her message more closely aligns to the intent of Anzac Day than Mal's message of let's get ready to follow America into another stupid war.

Anzac Day is all about political statements. That's why politicians are front and centre with their messages of nationalism and patriotism. I think her message more closely aligns to the intent of Anzac Day than Mal's message of let's get ready to follow America into another stupid war.
What about Malcolm Turnbull's Anzac Day address was inciting of nationalism and patriotism and what political ideals were being pushed on the Anzac Day stage?

Or should politicians not be allowed to speak in an official capacity at all on days like this?

It's a day of rememberance and reflection

Is A.N.Z.A.C. Day 2017 the first day in history to take umbrage at what somebody wrote? Anthropomorphic 24 hour periods certainly has a ring to it. Most periods last a bit longer than that, but this one is no less messy.

What a splendid woman, if only for the number of loonies she pissed off. She should repost that every twelve months, as a remembrance to 'the fallen', whom I'm sure will appreciate it. 'The fallen' are hopeless at social media though, for some reason. Death should not be an impediment to their involvement, after all, they're all (every single one of them) real-life heroes. How pathetic it is to try to turn a mob of (dead) trained killers into a reason for a nation to be acknowledged as existing.

A.N.Z.A.C. Day should be a remembrance day, especially for those suffering from Alzheimers. They're in the happy position of being given a chance 'to forget' this manufactured wankfest masquerading as a day of national significance. Anyway, WTF is it with this ludicrous obsession with the effluxion of 364 (or, bewilderingly, 365, seemingly dependent on mere whim), and the subsequent, similar enthusiasm for 100 such 364 (or 365) periods. At the setting of the sun indeed.

Everyone will be pleased to know that days don't have feelings, or if they do, they choose not to post them on social media.

Last edited:
I disagree; nothing she said was controversial. Maybe she underestimated how easily people can be whipped into an emotional outrage about anzac day, but the people on social media saying she should be deported to Sudan/North Korea/Syria/Iraq (yes, I saw all these places mentioned on one article) need to check out what Stuart McIntyre said last year. He was sacked, because he was politically incorrect. But he has not experienced the backlash she has.

And it's only because she's a black female muslim.

These are some spicy meatballs.

I think what Yassmin posted was unwise and she apologised quickly, good enough for me but this facebook post was not read in isolation of all else by many other responders also exercising their right to a freedom of speech that offers no protection from criticism. There was a recent Qanda appearance defending Sharia law and claims that Islam was THE most feminist religion (everybody knows that's a crock of s**t generally speaking) but to her it may be and taking advice from a fundamentalist Islamic organisation banned in thirteen countries, hizbut tahrir. Spicy meatballs indeed KV. No excuse for their vile and yes, racist rants ... I think they became overwhelmed.

Calls to have her sacked for it are as appalling as I find Australia's leading leftist feminist Clementine Ford using stupid men's offensive online comments and having them sacked from jobs in private enterprise as a springboard to launch her career. And I identify more with the left than I do the right.

Is A.N.Z.A.C. Day 2017 the first day in history to take umbrage at what somebody wrote? Anthropomorphic 24 hour periods certainly has a ring to it. Most periods last a bit longer than that, but this one is no less messy.

What a splendid woman, if only for the number of loonies she pissed off. She should repost that every twelve months, as a remembrance to 'the fallen', whom I'm sure will appreciate it. 'The fallen' are hopeless at social media though, for some reason. Death should not be an impediment to their involvement, after all, they're all (every single one of them) real-life heroes. How pathetic it is to try to turn a mob of (dead) trained killers into a reason for a nation to be acknowledged as existing.

A.N.Z.A.C. Day should be a remembrance day, especially for those suffering from Alzheimers. They're in the happy position of being given a chance 'to forget' this manufactured wankfest masquerading as a day of national significance. Anyway, WTF is it with this ludicrous obsession with the effluxion of 364 (or, bewilderingly, 365, seemingly dependent on mere whim), and the subsequent, similar enthusiasm for 100 such 364 (or 365) periods. At the setting of the sun indeed.

Everyone will be pleased to know that days don't have feelings, or if they do, they choose not to post them on social media.
Is it the left or the right that argue days have feelings? I always get that one arse about.

Do Turks feel uncomfortable today? What about Young Turks?
I very much doubt they do - turkey celebrates its victory in the Dardanelles at around the same time we do. It is often forgotten (or not known in the first place) that Turkey gained its own sense of national identity during and after world war one as much as the Australians and New Zealanders did.
Prior to Gallipoli, Turkey was thought of as merely a part of the Ottoman empire, not a nation in its own right, similarly to Australia being thought of as a part of the British empire.
After the first world war was considered officially over in Europe, Turkey itself fought for its national identity in the Turkish war of Independence (1919-1923).
World War One and the events of the Dardanelles campaign have as much, if not more, significance to the Turks as it does for us.

A common misconception even now is that the Allies fought against Turkey in the Dardanelles campaign. They fought, in fact, against the army of the Ottoman Empire, which comprised not only Turks but Armenians, Greeks, Kurds, Arabs and Jews, among others. Since the 1930's, after Turkey gained its own independence, there has been a general shift (mostly for political reasons) in Turkey toward viewing the conflict, and the battle of Gallipoli in particular, as a Turkish war, when in fact it was not. Believing that particular rhetoric is much the same as believing the ANZACS were the only combatants at Gallipoli, yet it serves a purpose for them as much as the ANZAC tradition does for us.

In spite of all that, though, there is a theme where the Turks are held up as relatively innocent victims of a western invasion rather than active participants in a war on the German side. It should be remembered that the Armenian Genocide occurred during this period, and religious conflict in general had been paramount in Turkey long before the Allies invaded.

Although lesser in scale to the Nazi extermination of Jews in Europe, the intent and execution of the Armenian Genocide was very similar, and yet the Turks are rarely held to account for it, in spite of attempts in recent years for it to be recognised on the international stage. This is due in part to Turkey being an important member of the NATO alliance, so unfortunately that little episode appears doomed to the footnotes of history, while Hitler's little jaunt is now thought to be pretty much the epitome of all evil.
It should be remembered though that in terms of relative population, the Armenian Genocide was far more damaging for the Armenians than Hitlers attempts were for the Jews. It was one of the most compete and through genocides in modern history, and possibly one of the most cruel in terms of its execution.

So there are parts of the Turkish population who probably don't celebrate the Gallipoli victory at all, and for the most part quite possibly lament the defeat of the Allies at Gallipoli in 1915. Not that there are many Armenians left, of course, so they don't make much noise anymore. And of course, mentioning the Kurds is probably irrelevant at this point.

The Ottoman Turks should never be seen under any circumstances as innocent victims of a Western invasion. That's a furphy. It was the Ottoman empire who began the war in the middle east by allying themselves with the Germans and proceeding to bombard Russian ports in the Black sea in 1914, not in any invasion of the Gallipoli peninsula by allied forces.

There have been attempts on the part of the Turkish government to dismiss the Armenian Genocide by saying that if the Allies hadn't invaded Gallipoli, it would never have occurred. The facts are that it was occurring long before then, as far back as the 19th century if not before and accelerated in 1915 to the point where the Armenians very nearly ceased to exist. Thousands of them were actually rescued by allied soldiers in Africa, where they were taken to be left to die in deserts, or sold in middle eastern slave markets.

Note that I'm not attempting to frame the middle eastern regional conflict as a war for moral purposes in freeing the Armenians - it certainly was not that. World War One, in particular in the middle eastern region, was probably the first war fought for resources - most importantly oil - in the twentieth century. Yet it is important not to paint the enemy as an innocent victim of colonial expansion, as well.

Another of the issues being pointed out in recent times is that the battle for the Dardanelles is being co-opted for political gain in Turkey as much as it is in Australia. There has been a concerted effort on the part of the Turkish government to re-frame the Dardanelles campaign as a religious one. Erdogan himself has been quoted as saying "The crusades were not finished nine centuries ago in the past! Do not forget, the Gallipoli campaign was a crusade" (I think sometime back in 2013-2014) in a general re-conception of the Gallipoli battle and Dardanelles campaign as an Islamic victory over the vile forces of the crusaders, again more for political gain more than any other reason.

If there is anything to be taken from our current misconceptions and political co-opting of the ANZAC day celebration, it is perhaps that at least, we aren't subject to that kind of indoctrination... and that we have the right to discuss it without any more damaging censure than being labelled an idiot.

It could be far worse. We could, after all, be subject to this:

I didn't mean to imply that it was all racist, but similar to St Patrick's Day it's frightening how it's being used to celebrate white male privilege and nationalism. As a person with a non Anglo background it's quite scary.
How very narrow minded of you. I saw a much broader representation at the Dawn Service and march.
Maybe your white guilt is causing you cataracts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An Aboriginal tried to throw an imaginary spear at me once, luckily it missed because it may have really hurt me.

Patriotism and jingoistic bullshit has killed ANZAC Day for me. ******* civilians treating it like it's a footy game. Go look at those fanatic *******s that travel to Gallipoli. How much do you really care about the ANZACS when you are sleeping on the place of their death?

An Aboriginal tried to throw an imaginary spear at me once, luckily it missed because it may have really hurt me.

Patriotism and jingoistic bullshit has killed ANZAC Day for me. ******* civilians treating it like it's a footy game. Go look at those fanatic *******s that travel to Gallipoli. How much do you really care about the ANZACS when you are sleeping on the place of their death?
I often sleep on my dead family's graves.

Do Turks feel uncomfortable today? What about Young Turks?
We shared Anzac day with the Turkish ambassador and consulate staff when I was in the military (in Canberra).
It was noted that there was a mutual respect between the soldiers of the opposing forces that lasts until today. Attaturk is a Turkish hero and arguably the father of the modern Turkish state which I assume means younger Turks still view the day as significant.

Been saying it for years, but so much this.

It's supposed to be a remembrance of the horrors of war and to ensure it never happens again.

I can't help but shake the feeling its having the exact opposite effect with this rise in jingoism and patriotism.
Well a seven word tweet had conservatives losing their s**t, although this was apparently ok and hardly worth mentioning:

8470988-3x4-700x933.jpg

Well a seven word tweet had conservatives losing their s**t, although this was apparently ok and hardly worth mentioning:

8470988-3x4-700x933.jpg
Good old Monsoons. Admittedly bribed a bouncer to get into that joint deep in a pub crawl one night.

Dildo races on Valentine's Day.

The Thursday night Ladies Nights still gets far more meathead males than females despite the high presence of male topless waiters and strippers. I guess that's a sign of how average this joint is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back