AR Supporters views on SOO 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Ronin

Club Legend
May 12, 2006
Sydney
I would like to ask any AR supporters that watched the SOO to give their views on the match. Tell us if you enjoyed it, it bored you, or any other thoughts that crossed your mind during the game.

Cheers :thumbsu:

I love the SoO concept. I'm a Storm fan (only because I live in Melbourne really), I probably get down to one or two games a year.

After watching games like tonight, every year I just think how amazing it would be if this sort of thing could be re-created in the AFL, because it would be truly incredible. The atmosphere looked amazing. I went to the one at the TD last year, and it was an excellent atmosphere. I hope to get up to Lang Park for a game at some stage, as it seems like one of the great Australian sporting events.

I observed neutrally tonight (maybe went for Queensland because they had more Storm players!), and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't understand all the rules (and penalties etc.), but Rabs, Sterlo and Gus explain them beautifully. Rabs just generates so much excitement, making him, IMO, the best caller of any football code in Australia. It is just such a professional coverage; Vossy on the sideline is also a fountain of information. It makes the AFL coverage look so sub-standard (particularly Seven's). I understand they have had years to perfect it, but it is just so professional. Thoroughly impressed.

The game itself was of a high standard. I watch some RL, and appreciate the really top players. The kicking of Thurston/Smith was extremely good on the whole, and really put NSW under pressure all night. The NSW defence also looked unable to cope with the decoy runs of QLD near their line all night, QLD really should've won by more. The Mullen experiment failed tonight, his kicking was mediocre, but is definitely worth persevering with. He will be better in game two.

I admire the forwards in the game of RL. The amount of punishment they take is phenomenal. When Mason went off with the hamstring that was game-changing I thought. He just takes so much punishment and gains so many metres. Price was MOTM for me tonight; he was the most influential in the game changing. A true old warhorse.

Anyway, that's my summation. I may know nothing...that's just an opinion from a neutral who doesn't know all that much about the game. I'd love to see more people's thoughts.

Bring on Game 2!

I love the SoO concept. I'm a Storm fan (only because I live in Melbourne really), I probably get down to one or two games a year.

After watching games like tonight, every year I just think how amazing it would be if this sort of thing could be re-created in the AFL, because it would be truly incredible. The atmosphere looked amazing. I went to the one at the TD last year, and it was an excellent atmosphere. I hope to get up to Lang Park for a game at some stage, as it seems like one of the great Australian sporting events.

I observed neutrally tonight (maybe went for Queensland because they had more Storm players!), and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't understand all the rules (and penalties etc.), but Rabs, Sterlo and Gus explain them beautifully. Rabs just generates so much excitement, making him, IMO, the best caller of any football code in Australia. It is just such a professional coverage; Vossy on the sideline is also a fountain of information. It makes the AFL coverage look so sub-standard (particularly Seven's). I understand they have had years to perfect it, but it is just so professional. Thoroughly impressed.

The game itself was of a high standard. I watch some RL, and appreciate the really top players. The kicking of Thurston/Smith was extremely good on the whole, and really put NSW under pressure all night. The NSW defence also looked unable to cope with the decoy runs of QLD near their line all night, QLD really should've won by more. The Mullen experiment failed tonight, his kicking was mediocre, but is definitely worth persevering with. He will be better in game two.

I admire the forwards in the game of RL. The amount of punishment they take is phenomenal. When Mason went off with the hamstring that was game-changing I thought. He just takes so much punishment and gains so many metres. Price was MOTM for me tonight; he was the most influential in the game changing. A true old warhorse.

Anyway, that's my summation. I may know nothing...that's just an opinion from a neutral who doesn't know all that much about the game. I'd love to see more people's thoughts.

Bring on Game 2!

That's a beautiful summation from a reasonably new fan to Rugby League, dacs!

Great stuff - the fact that you picked up on Price being probably the most deserving MOTM was spot on.

He played like a trojan all night and deserved his first (when it really should have been his second) try.

Missed the first half (Bloody Exam)... Watched the second half :(

NSW reminded me of the Bulldogs, stupid errors and drop ball cost them the game.

Watched most of it and enjoyed it. Still not a massive fan of the game, but I am definately open minded, and more I watch, I will the lean the intricacies of the game to appreciate it more. Love the atmosphere. Would love it if the AFL bring back SOO.

One thing that gets me though, why do the commentators all hold on to a microphone while sitting around the desk? Have they heard of clip or boom microphones?

Must be a League thing, it looks stupid! :D

I've seen many SOO matches and enjoy RL so i'm probably not the one to ask :D but i'll still say it was a great match, excellent atmosphere in one of the best rectangular stadiums i've seen, definitely the best in Australia.

What Roy Masters said was spot on, that Aussie Rules probably can't emulate the intense passion of SOO in RL, where the rivalry seems diluted between more then two states.

RL has really only two heartland states in Australia and these are two of the three most populated in Australia, the rivalry is as intense as you can get, whereas with AR you have Vic, W.A and S.A, not to mention Tassie and the 'rest', if it were only ever Vic v S.A each year it may be as special........but as it is the 'event' would be diluted. :(

Only watched the last 25 minutes, after the Chaser. Their seemed to be a good intensity and atmosphere. but the game itself didn't have much going for it. I tend to give NRL a go on FTA if it's on at a decent time (don't have PayTV) but the game to me just seems so repetitive and boring.

At least Ronin you wanted opinions warts and all as opposed to the thread on the main board that only wanted positives.

Bring on Game 2!

That statement alone shows me that you seem to know your rugby league. I hope you enjoy game 2 and hopefully get to more Storm games this year. You are following the 2007 Premiers IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back