Game Day Around The Grounds - Rnds 0 - 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate the Filth but McRae is impressive.

That was a really good, honest, presser given the circumstances.

Acknowledged the umpiring works both ways when asked about the 30-15 count and that they've been unusually undisciplijed.

Was over in Filthland for a while, apparently not only do they NOT have a first round pick, but their second round pick is compromised by the Dorks!!
And the campaigners were still banging on about a draft driven rebuild!!!!!!
Talk about delusional, at least some of them got it that umpires can't change the result of a twenty point game, but some were gnashing their teeth and tearing their robes in consternation of the inequality of life..... and that umpire number 3 is a thief.

They have Hawks second and third.

Hawks have their second and third.

From the Ginnivan trade

Hmmm, I remember the ex saint giving us a reaming against the Aints a couple of years ago.
Not that I care for the filth for one second, but they were slaughtered by the umps tonight

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He shouldn’t be umpiring Saints games.

Hmmm, I remember the ex saint giving us a reaming against the Aints a couple of years ago.
Not that I care for the filth for one second, but they were slaughtered by the umps tonight

Yep. We lost the free kick count similar to the Filth tonight. Fisher paid something ridiculous like 14 free kicks to 2 or something stupid.

I hated when Bannister got Carlton games

You end up with one of two things happening even if the umpires try their best because of unconscious bias

1. You get results like tonight and that came a couple of years ago

2. You get the opposite as the umpire is determined not to show a bias toward his prior team

There's enough umpires where you should never have an umpire officiate their former club(s)

No praise given to the Saints, actually not 1 mention of St Kilda for the entire presser.
All about their own internal problems.

That's true but at least he was honest about his own club

I hated when Bannister got Carlton games

You end up with one of two things happening even if the umpires try their best because of unconscious bias

1. You get results like tonight and that came a couple of years ago

2. You get the opposite as the umpire is determined not to show a bias toward his prior team

There's enough umpires where you should never have an umpire officiate their former club(s)
3 the umpire does a good job but suppporters complain like they do after nearly every game regardless of the decisions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Pendles should take up another sport. Basketball maybe. Wonder if he has ever played it before……

Matthew Owies Basketball background shits all over Scott Pendlebury’s. 😂

Pies are on speed-dial to Ed Curnow as we speak.

“Yeah. Let me get in touch with one of my former Adelaide Crows teammates and put you onto Collective Minds.”

Last edited:

Sad Puss In Boots GIF

I guess they can appeal for a helping hand from AFL? Worked for North.

I worked in professional basketball for years here and overseas.

Some of my views about how sport is umpired and officiated stems from my time in the US.

(Edit: NBA wise)I've found it interesting that this year more than any other players, coaches and teams have let loose publicly on officials in ways that until now was kept pretty private (though we knew it was happening and what was said)

Pro sports is pretty incestuous and pretty corrupt.

The way the NBA handled the entire Donaghy situation. So many officials closely connected to him still involved over a decade later.

The world knows about the FIFA corruption

MLB and NFL haven't escaped their controversies while the NHL is constantly copping backlash over how incompetent they are ran.

I don't disagree that some things at the AFL are farcical but to suggest it doesn't happen around the world is wrong.

The official's is one of many issues I have with how the AFL is run.

The weekly interpretation of rules is laughable. I honestly don't even know if it's the umpires or the AFL that are the issue anymore.
The arc is embarassing.
The draw is a compromised rabble of nonsense.
The MRO and the fact the adjudicate based on the outcome and not the action is a constant issue.
The handouts and draft concessions, academy zones etc would not happen in a league with private ownership.

The game is going backwards in my opinion and that isn't an issue with officiating only, it's an issue with AFL house.

It’s not the ones that are paid most of the time but the ones that aren’t, the inconsistency of interpretation between two teams playing in the same game is the most infuriating part for me.
If I was a dirty filthy pies supporter, I’d be filthy as after last night.

Williamson and Fisher have historically been the most infuriating in our games for that exact reason above

It’s not the ones that are paid most of the time but the ones that aren’t, the inconsistency of interpretation between two teams playing in the same game is the most infuriating part for me.
If I was a dirty filthy pies supporter, I’d be filthy as after last night.

Williamson and Fisher have historically been the most infuriating in our games for that exact reason above

The problem that teh AFL have is that there are 4 umpires running around all able to make whatever interpretation of the rules they wish to at any point in time - you are going to get inconsistency in outcomes just based on that - every week every game - forever.

The second issue is that the AFL has not investedin the technology available to make linesmen calls as accurate as they should be nor the goal review as easy as it should be - that is fixable.

Start with fixing the fixable.

Wtching games from back in the day I dont even know AFL was a sport - I note that the umps paid many many many more frees than they do today - it is all about TV entertainment - I think that has compromised the spirit of the game more than anything. In teh 'olden' days umps wudl ping players for incorrect disposal very very quickly - frees were part of pretty much every congested contest - and theywere immediate there was no pause and reflect and drama...BS.

The problem that teh AFL have is that there are 4 umpires running around all able to make whatever interpretation of the rules they wish to at any point in time - you are going to get inconsistency in outcomes just based on that - every week every game - forever.

The second issue is that the AFL has not investedin the technology available to make linesmen calls as accurate as they should be nor the goal review as easy as it should be - that is fixable.

Start with fixing the fixable.

Wtching games from back in the day I dont even know AFL was a sport - I note that the umps paid many many many more frees than they do today - it is all about TV entertainment - I think that has compromised the spirit of the game more than anything. In teh 'olden' days umps wudl ping players for incorrect disposal very very quickly - frees were part of pretty much every congested contest - and theywere immediate there was no pause and reflect and drama...BS.
I've posted this before, but just for reference re stats...

umpire-table.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back