Attending a match that does not involved your team

Remove this Banner Ad

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi Folks,

Have you ever attended a match when your team isnt in it.

It can happen.

Im thinking of going the Dees Blues match and im a Pies man.

Sometimes say twice a year i do go to a match that does not have the Pies playing in it.

Thus far however ive only attended 2 matches this season that round 1 and 2 collingwood v dogs match then the v blues match in round 2.

Yet to attend a match since then.

My next pies match ill probably go to will be the geelong match in 3 rounds time or the queens birthday match v dees both at the mcg.

But have you or do attend your non teams matches.

Yep been to a few when the Eagles weren't playing.

If you get the chance to travel interstate during footy season, going to see as many different grounds as you can on a game day should be on every footy fans bucket list IMO.

Ive been to a few freo games without the blues playing them,also sydney swans as my wife is a member.
Eagles games with a mate a few times too.

I'm an a Eagles fan living in country NSW so getting to an Eagles game is a bit of a mission for me. I'm temporarily in Sydney so I caught the derby and the GWS/Essendon games because I could. Looking forward to finally seeing the Eagles live in a couple of weeks though.

I also used to make footy trips to Melbourne when I lived on the mines. Line up a weekend when West Coast were there and try to catch games on the days around it as well.

When the finals were at the home of football ie. The Gabba last season I went to 2 neutral games and quite enjoyed watching them with no emotional investment in the result, although it was quite entertaining to watch the Pies get smashed.

Where do we begin? I've been to many Suns games as a neutral, wandered into a couple of Lions Saturday afternoon clashes, done a couple of Perth and GWS games, any number of Easter weekend games including Richmond vs Sydney this year. Heck I've even watched semis (Giants vs Eagles 2017) and the 2011 GF. Not often you get a chance to go with local footy commitments so any chance you get you tend to take.

Went a few Collingwood games with my dear late Pies sister, mostly for the entertainment of watching her yell at everyone :D
Also a couple of Richmond games with my other sisters as a neutral but they mostly terrified me!
Overall I get bored at neutral games where’s there’s no real investment and I don’t want to fork out dollars for it, I do watch every game every week at home tho.

Amazing that people think it is unusual to a game other than those involving the team you follow.
Are you footy fans ? Really?

Heroic mate.

Some of us don't like shelling out the price of admission, plus the cost of transport (and beers?) to attend a neutral game when you can purchase a monthly Kayo subscription for the price of a single match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will say one thing though

If you go to a game involving two teams you don't support, wearing the jumper/merch of the team that you do support, than you are a flog.

Just wear don't wear any team paraphernalia, it isn't hard.

Last edited:
My one and only AFL match at the MCG was the elimination final between Geelong and Melbourne.

Loved watching the final without any vested interest in either match.

Was a bucket list of mine to get to the G’ and it didn’t disappoint. Would gladly fly to Melbourne mid year and watch 4-5 games in a weekend if I had the money.

When I was a teenager, one of my good friends (a Dees supporter) and I caught the train down to Melbourne for the weekend and watched three games at the MCG. I think it was Tigers/WC on Friday night, Dees/Swans on Saturday and maybe the Dogs and someone else on the Sunday. Was an absolute blast and loved every minute of it.

Have also been to 3 or 4 GWS/Bulldogs games due to living in Sydney and having a couple of mad Dogs supporters as friends. Although cheering against GWS is almost as fun as cheering for the Swans, so that might be an unfair comparison.

When I was a teenager, one of my good friends (a Dees supporter) and I caught the train down to Melbourne for the weekend and watched three games at the MCG. I think it was Tigers/WC on Friday night, Dees/Swans on Saturday and maybe the Dogs and someone else on the Sunday. Was an absolute blast and loved every minute of it.

Have also been to 3 or 4 GWS/Bulldogs games due to living in Sydney and having a couple of mad Dogs supporters as friends. Although cheering against GWS is almost as fun as cheering for the Swans, so that might be an unfair comparison.
It was really annoying me, so I had to look into it to find out the exact teams. It was the Dogs/North on the Sunday (Rd 15, 1999). It actually makes me want to go back down sometime this year and hit up a few games.

I used to do it. Not for years though.

What I will say is anyone who attends a Grand Final not involving their own team is an out and out campaigner, depriving a hard working and loyal member of that club said ticket.

Yes, occasionally I'll be able to snag some free tickets for certain games. Always pass them onto family members/friends who barrack for other teams, so will sometimes tag along to said games. Especially if its premium seating.

Can sit back and not feel the pressure or have any vested interest in either side or the outcome.

Pre-COVID I'd attend as many neutral games as I was Richmond games--- I think I attended almost 30 games a season on average in 2015-2019. I was working near the city, so could head down after work and walk into the AFL Members Reserve at the MCG or head up to Level 3 at Marvel (using an AFL membership) then during the weekend it wasn't too difficult to get the train in.

It's amazing how much more of the tactics of the game I'd notice when it was a neutral game compared to when Richmond was playing, watching a game in person is 10x better than listening to Eddie or BT speaking sh*t the entire time.

Once the AFL allows for the return of GA seating at the Melbourne based stadiums I'll probably try to go more regularly again, it's just a pain at the moment reserving a seat if the stadium is going to be half empty.

Hi Folks,

Have you ever attended a match when your team isnt in it.

It can happen.

Im thinking of going the Dees Blues match and im a Pies man.

Sometimes say twice a year i do go to a match that does not have the Pies playing in it.

Thus far however ive only attended 2 matches this season that round 1 and 2 collingwood v dogs match then the v blues match in round 2.

Yet to attend a match since then.

My next pies match ill probably go to will be the geelong match in 3 rounds time or the queens birthday match v dees both at the mcg.

But have you or do attend your non teams matches.

About 1000 times. I used to be an AFL journalist.

Heroic mate.

Some of us don't like shelling out the price of admission, plus the cost of transport (and beers?) to attend a neutral game when you can purchase a monthly Kayo subscription for the price of a single match.
Plenty of people own memberships that give them access to neutral games.

It’s hardly unusual to go to neutral games.

Plenty of people own memberships that give them access to neutral games.

It’s hardly unusual to go to neutral games.

I don't think it is either, and attend plenty of Bulldogs due to having a lot of Bulldogs supporting mates. Definitely enjoyed watching them build their squad into a premiership team over 2015-2016, and made a nice change from watching the usual belting in the Malthouse years at Carlton.

It's still personal preference though if you want to physically attend neutral games, and doesn't undermine you as a footy fan if you don't have the financial means to attend neutral games and/or shell out for an AFL membership. Or you just prefer watching in the comfort of your own home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back