Attn. Melbourne Supporters - Petracca's Skills?

Remove this Banner Ad

Good last night. Rushed his forward entries too much and so coughed up scoring chances several times but he got to where the ball was a lot. He is only 22 so plenty of improvement to look forward to.

I'll throw one back at you..

Matthew Lloyd posed the question on 3AW last night whether anyone could name 3 or 4 good GoldCoast players. "Who are their quality players?" He asked Dwayne Russell and Tony Shaw. Russell said he'd commentated a lot of their games this year and struggled to name a few.

They also posed whether they should fold it and start again and or whether they should merge with another club.

What are your thoughts?

I think they're missing the whole point of the Gold Coast, and the point of the modern AFL in general.

The AFL is in the business of making money, and you don't need to be Rene Rivkin to know that having 9 games every weekend, with priority given to big clubs in the fixture more than covers the cost of 'propping up' smaller clubs.

Why on earth would the AFL cut a club that generates profit for them? Makes no sense.

He looks destructive with ball in hand at top speed, but his disposal execution was quite often poor. I can see him turning into a Dangerfield type. He will be a gun.

Having a solid season, 20 disposals a game, good pressure, good attacking drive and defensive accountability. I think the spotlight has been on him because of De Goey's growth as a player.

Watching the game last night, it was like Bruce and I were watching two totally different people out there.

We all know there is a narrative that Petracca is a young superstar, but what was actually taking place on the ground didn't match up with the gushing commentary about him.

Lloyd called Petracca out during the week for being pretty average throughout his career thus far, and particularly last week compared to his teammates such as Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes, Salem etc. but it seems that Bruce and Brian didn't get the memo that we've moved on from 'Wow this guy is going to be unbelievable!' to 'Hmmm, Ok, this guy has played 62 games and is merely Ok at this stage'.

Usually, a team's supporters pick up in this sort of stuff well before the rest of the footy public snap out of their brainwashed state of whatever it is that the AFL media is telling them.

And I'm wondering if Melbourne fans are seeing this with Petracca - in particular his slaughtering of the football by foot?

He's somewhat of a Clanger king. He's up there with the Clanger leaders in the comp like Fyfe, Martin, Mitchell, Cripps, Oliver etc. who get tagged every week and are under constant pressure - and get the ball 30 times a week! Yet Petracca gets it under 20 times a week, and basically gets no attention at all as the all-star cast down at Melbourne are absorbing all the heat.

I thought I heard a bronx cheer from the crowd last night when he finally found a Melbourne player in the F50 in the 3rd quarter.

Do Melbourne fans feel this way?
Yeah but Bruce thinks a horse running is 'the greatest thing you ever saw' so I don't think his judgment is particularly good

The Trac' and Heeny both need to work on their disposal before they are truly elite players of the competition. All the potential to get there, just need a few tweaks.

I'll throw one back at you..

Matthew Lloyd posed the question on 3AW last night whether anyone could name 3 or 4 good GoldCoast players. "Who are their quality players?" He asked Dwayne Russell and Tony Shaw. Russell said he'd commentated a lot of their games this year and struggled to name a few.

They also posed whether they should fold it and start again and or whether they should merge with another club.

What are your thoughts?
Relevance to the thread?

Dunno what the go with him is. I thought he was going to be a mid?

He’s very average and seems to only impact a couple of moments per game.

Needs to lose 10kg to start with. Slow as BM58er

Well if you thought he was going to be a mid and he's playing forward, that just changes everything. Delist.

De Goey having an absolute Petracca tonight. Sprayed two early set shots.

Maybe the answer is that young guys are inconsistent.

Clean up his finishing and set shot with a smaller ball drop and he'll turn heads. He's not far off at all. Plenty of traits to like (see play to set up Jones' goal last week).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very easy to describe Trac.
Currently overrated, not a superstar yet by any means.
Potential ceiling is still massive.

Anyone who watches him close would agree with this, his good kicks and handballs are as good as anything at Melbourne. His vision by foot and by hand in heavy traffic is elite and when it comes off we score.
Kicks it with penetration and often gets it in behind the zone. He puts together 5-10 minutes in a game where you go wow this kid is incredible.

He also is still immature, doesn't know when to go and when to stop so he ends up trying to create a goal with every kick which can lead to turnovers, when the bloods pumping he can make poor decisions and kick to out numbers because his mindset is all attack. Not something I'm overly worried about. His 20 touches are as damaging as most players 30.

So in short he is a beautiful kick, too ambitious sometimes and hasn't yet found his balance between being the match winner and setting up the match winner.

Still think he has the highest ceiling of any Melbourne player.

Petracca is hugely talented, but the pressure of AFL footy is unforgiving. It means that if you’re not fit, then every aspect of your game will struggle.

He’ll not reach his ceiling until he has a couple of full pre-seasons. He’s currently a floating flanker (and fourth choice target) who doesn’t apply enough pressure. (That’ll change).

His ball handling and balance are exceptional. He changes direction very well at pace.

The biggest issue I have with him is how often he runs boundary side of opponents. Again though, that’s a way of trying to find space because he can’t complete enough sprints running into the corridor.

He’ll become a very good player if he gets up to the required fitness standard.

He’s useless. Delist.

He is and always will be a little immature, he’s apparently got a short attention span so it takes a lot longer for him to learn. The clubs had to tailor a lot of the ways it communicates to all of the younger players in general. Really short and sharp messages often delivered via video with music etc dubbed over the top.

It’s very similar to Dusty in a lot of ways really. Numbers aren’t to dissimilar at the same age as well, particularly given Trac is playing as 5th or 6th mid. at the moment. His disposal is fantastic, he’s playing a role to create and given his ability regularly tries the impossible.

In time he’ll learn his limitations and at the same time improve his tank and move into a more permanent midfield role post Jones and Tyson.

I'm looking forward to seeing this guy in the prelim. He's been inches away from a breakout game for ages, maybe now is the time. He definitely looms as the biggest 'game breaker' on either team, even though he won't be in the best 10 players on the ground.

He’s useless. Delist.

He is and always will be a little immature, he’s apparently got a short attention span so it takes a lot longer for him to learn. The clubs had to tailor a lot of the ways it communicates to all of the younger players in general. Really short and sharp messages often delivered via video with music etc dubbed over the top.

It’s very similar to Dusty in a lot of ways really. Numbers aren’t to dissimilar at the same age as well, particularly given Trac is playing as 5th or 6th mid. at the moment. His disposal is fantastic, he’s playing a role to create and given his ability regularly tries the impossible.

In time he’ll learn his limitations and at the same time improve his tank and move into a more permanent midfield role post Jones and Tyson.
Is the music part real?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back