Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a rolling best current Aus team thread?

Who have we got....

PG Mills
SG Simmons
SF Baynes
PF Maker
C Bogut

Ingles Dellie Exum Motum Andersen

Very decent team, would be more than competitive as an NBA side, has flexibility and coverage across every position, could go small or tall or a mix in between. It would be hard to see Andersen and Bogut still there at 2020 olympics. But Brandt looks a very good big man, Motum also pushing NBA selection. Goulding or Broekhhoff could play a role by that time, and I'm sure there will be another NBL candidate put there hand up closer to the date.
Aron Baynes should never be listed as a basketball team's SF. Ever.

PG-Mills/Exum/Goulding
SG-Delly/Gliddon
SF-Ingles/Broekhoff
PF-Simmons/Bairstow
C-Bayes/Maker/Bogut

Right now picking a team it would probably look like that.
Any team that doesn't play Simmons at PG is a fail. Happy to list him elsewhere based on who he will be guarding, but he's not giving the ball up to Delly or Mills to run the play. And Mills will love the catch and shoot from him. I would've thought they would start with (assuming all fit).

PG - Simmons
SG - Mills
SF - Exum
PF - Ingles
C - Baynes

I'd go with something like this for the end of the season

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Maker: Biggest question mark to start. But by season's end I think he will be on the up. Bucks giving him a lot of opportunity.
Baynes

Delly: Can't forget he played some great games last Olympics. Important player does a lot of little things. Selfless Leader.
Exum
Broekhoff: Hopefully can discover that WC shooting form he once showed
Bolden: Loads of potential and versatility
Bogut: Almost reaching corpse levels in the A but need him for defence and veteran leadership

Probably then take a couple of young guys like Adel and Landale who have a lot of skill and potential.
Seriously a golden generation team for us. Pity David Anderson is getting on. He could have been beautiful feeding off Simmons.

PG-Mills/Exum/Goulding
SG-Delly/Gliddon
SF-Ingles/Broekhoff
PF-Simmons/Bairstow
C-Bayes/Maker/Bogut

Right now picking a team it would probably look like that.
Bolden is a certainty. Bairstow and Gliddon certainties to not get picked.Goulding unlikley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Bolden play at the guard spot like Gliddon ?
Bolden is miles ahead of Bairstow in the team you named. Mitch Creek, Sobey, Deng Adel miles and miles ahead of Gliddon. Not sure what you are on about, but seems a classic set of troll posts.

I'd go with something like this for the end of the season

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Maker: Biggest question mark to start. But by season's end I think he will be on the up. Bucks giving him a lot of opportunity.
Baynes

Delly: Can't forget he played some great games last Olympics. Important player does a lot of little things. Selfless Leader.
Exum
Broekhoff: Hopefully can discover that WC shooting form he once showed
Bolden: Loads of potential and versatility
Bogut: Almost reaching corpse levels in the A but need him for defence and veteran leadership

Probably then take a couple of young guys like Adel and Landale who have a lot of skill and potential.
Seriously a golden generation team for us. Pity David Anderson is getting on. He could have been beautiful feeding off Simmons.

I like your thinking..
The bucks seem to be playing thon at center because he can switch onto wings defensively, but the ability to hit the 3 and handle the ball could be what we need at th SF/PF... all that length
Also agree on Delly.. his ability in pick and roll situations (both ends of th floor) is undervalued

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also agree on Delly.. his ability in pick and roll situations (both ends of th floor) is undervalued

Delly's game is actually more suited to international play than the NBA.

If Simmons is willing, those two could kill it in the pick and roll.

Any team that doesn't play Simmons at PG is a fail. Happy to list him elsewhere based on who he will be guarding, but he's not giving the ball up to Delly or Mills to run the play. And Mills will love the catch and shoot from him. I would've thought they would start with (assuming all fit).

PG - Simmons
SG - Mills
SF - Exum
PF - Ingles
C - Baynes
Would much prefer the mills, delly, ingles, simons, baynes line up.

Simmons is the person who will be initiating he offense. There's no doubt about that, but, you need to surround him with shooters to create space for him to operate. I love exum but he isn't a patch on mills/delly/ingles as a three threat.

Can drop delly and move Simmons into a "guard" spot if bolden is for real and a three threat, but can't play the three of Simmons, baynes, third non shooter at same time.

He is a point guard. Sure, he can play PF, SF or SG but in those positions you're denying his best assets which is driving with the ball and his passing

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
He can defend the pf spot and play pg on offense. This allows us to play two guards e.g. Mills and delly) and have them defend opponents guards

Best thing about Ben's performance today was his on-ball defence. He seemed really locked in, getting his hand in the face of the attacker and playing close to the attacker. His attack on the boards has also been good, really aggressive rebounding today. Loving it.

Been thinking throughout the season that Ben's on-ball defence and rebounding could be better, be more aggressive in defence and attacking the boards.

Excellent bounce back game for a rookie!

Bogut should never again start for the Boomers- and especially not if we want to play a versatile athletic lineup. (Which we should be).
Unfortunately age and injuries have just caught up to him.
Use him as a backup centre who can be a high post distributor or bully weaker second strings, or if his specific defence is required- but at this stage Baynes has clearly overtaken him in terms of providing consistently over 20-30mins in an International game.

Last edited:
Bogut should never again start for the Boomers- and expecially not if we want to play a versatile athletic lineup. (Which we should be).
Unfortunately age and injuries have just caught up to him.
Use him as a backup centre who can be a high post distributor or bully weaker second strings, or if his specific defence is required- but at this stage Baynes has clearly overtaken him in terms of providing consistently over 20-30mins in an International game.

I think you're 100% right.
Bogut provides something off the bench though.
Probably still has some offence in him at international level too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back