Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully SBS swoop in purely for the 05 Ashes nostalgia feels.

How good was that winter.

One dayers were on 7 hosted by Kerry O’Keefe and Tony Squires. And it was a really good one day series - I think there was a Tri-series with Bangladesh- they beat us for the first time. Also the series where Symonds got on the team bus drunk. And then there was a separate 5 match series with england

I believe the 20-20 was on 7 also when we got smashed it was before the one dayers and it so happened the Michael Jackson case verdict came through that same morning.

SbS and Fox had the tests which went right up to the AFL finals series. I reckon SBS took Channel 4’s and Fox took Sky’s.

FK to be 15 again! Life was great

Last edited:
That 9/10 raised their offer despite (or perhaps because of?) Peever's abrasive emails and that all the 'big players' in this like Lachlan Murdoch are in town for this just highlight that all the talk from the various networks that cricket was overpriced was just bluffing imo.

In this present day with so many of the old reliables networks relied upon for easy ratings gone, popular live sport is one of the few guarantees FTA networks have. And as cricket has nationwide appeal (something that the rugby codes and even AFL don't have) it was always going to be highly sought after.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...l/news-story/6c93941918e666808486d48399ab3f47

If they get 1 billion dollarydoos, CA have done an exceptional job. (Assuming all bar a few BBL games are simulcast on 7/10)

I'm more than a little concerned about what is going to happen to the big bash, it has been a runaway success with free to air, lets hope they are not cooking the golden goose by reducing its exposure to the Australian public. A deal like this could well be short term gain, long term pain.

I'm more than a little concerned about what is going to happen to the big bash, it has been a runaway success with free to air, lets hope they are not cooking the golden goose by reducing its exposure to the Australian public. A deal like this could well be short term gain, long term pain.
Yeah I agree. I’m picturing a scenario where the same amount of BBL games as we got the summer just gone are on 7/10, and the extra ones (in an extended comp) are shown exclusively on Fox. That to me is acceptable, but if it’s only a Friday night match or something on FTA... the comp will lose relevance quickly.

Feel strangely melancholy about this. Whatever the 9 commentary had become, Richie, Bill and Tony spent at least as much time raising me as my folks did. This is a genuine end of an era.
This news means we’ve likely heard Bill in the comm box for the last time. I’ll miss the classic intro more than anything else.

Feel strangely melancholy about this. Whatever the 9 commentary had become, Richie, Bill and Tony spent at least as much time raising me as my folks did. This is a genuine end of an era.
it is, but what 9 have done in the past 5-10 years has completely ruined what was the premier cricket broadcast in the world

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big KP would be rolling in his grave at losing his beloved cricket!

So from the article it sounds like:

Channel 7 gets Test matches
Channel 7 & Fox both show Big Bash (probably sharing production duties) with some exclusive to Fox
Fox get ODIs and T20Is (and it'll have to be simulcast somewhere unless they manage to get it off the anti--iphoning list)
The Dirty Digger will be looking for a return on his investment in this government. They've nobbled the NBN for him, I wouldn't put this past them.

I'm guessing the sharing of BBL coverage between Ch 7 & Foxtel will mean CA will be able to expand the amount of games played without it taking a longer amount of time.

The downside of having one broadcaster was that you couldn't have matches on at the same time; now you can double up with 2 matches in one night on 7 & Foxtel. I think one of the complaints of the competition recently was that there was too long between games for some sides.

Ch 10 made a major mistake by partnering up with Ch 9 for their rights bid. Their channel is in a heap of trouble and the BBL was one of their few jewels in their broadcasting schedule. They needed the rights far more than 9 or 7 did and they should've bid for it outright. Big missed opportunity for them.

I really hope Ponting and co move to 7. They’ll have a pretty fresh slate presuming there’s a clause in all contracts to leave their current station if they lose the test/big bash.

Ponting
Gilchrist
Warne
Katich

I’d imagine they’re the big four past players fox/7 will fight over.

I really hope 7 have a few commentators from each touring nation. I think 9 cut it down to just Ian Smith in recent years.

I really hope 7 have a few commentators from each touring nation. I think 9 cut it down to just Ian Smith in recent years.

Yep, the lack of non-Oz commentators in recent years was a shame as it just made it even more insular and jingoistic; also several of the Ch 9 commentators seemed to have precious little knowledge of non-Oz cricketers. Was great back in the day to have Tony Cozier and Michael Holding as contributors.

Guys, let's not kid ourselves here. What part of Channel Seven's other sports coverage makes us think they'll all of a sudden be thoughtful and mature with the cricket?

We'll get roaming Brian and inane boundary side commentators and that's it.

It's pretty much par for the course on FTA Oz sports coverage that there's some level of inanity and excessive cross-promotion. Even 10's BBL coverage (which was well liked by most) stuffed promos for that Celebrity jungle show relentlessly during their matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back