Club History Australian Football Hall of Fame in Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't argue with Blight going in as a legend, his coaching record probably shades it over Ebert in terms of selection criteria. I just worry now that we won't see Ebert inducted as a legend which is an absolute travesty.

Not one Port Adelaide induction tonight when the HoF is being held here? campaigners.

7. Malcolm Blight (legend upgrade)

Fancy that eh? The Hall of Fame dinner held at Adelaide Oval and not one Port Adelaide nod.

Righto.

Remember the general outcry when Tredrea made it in?

"What the hell has he done....other than that bow, the phone gesture, and voting for himself to be captain when Primus came back from a year out injured?".

About 12 years ago I said the pioneers should be recognised in a special section in the HoF but I was thinking of the Qld, NSW, NT guys etc the guys like Brother John Pyke who took the game to the Tiwi Islands in 1942..

It will take time but the pioneers all across Australia will get finally get into the HoF. Well dome Mike Fitzpatrick for driving this new section.

Last edited:

I can't argue with Blight going in as a legend, his coaching record probably shades it over Ebert in terms of selection criteria. I just worry now that we won't see Ebert inducted as a legend which is an absolute travesty.

Not one Port Adelaide induction tonight when the HoF is being held here? campaigners.
Yep.

They get to shut up South Australians for the next 10-15 legend upgrades and continue to ignore the fact that the SANFL ever existed.

Yeah, no quibble over Blight. Ebert missed the boat when they comically left him out in the 1996 inauguration.

Tim Evans or Greg Phillips not getting in tonight was putrid. Sturt had Bagshaw get in last year. Recognise another legend of the undisputed greatest club in the state when the dinner's being held here? Lol nah.

Halbert reminiscing about the 1963 Origin win at the MCG, misspeaks and refers to big bad Victoria as "Port Adelaide".

Telling.

If anyone at AFL House had a sense of humour Dave Granger would have been announced right before Halbert. Complete with highlights from the 1982 Preliminary Final.

Russell Ebert and Malcolm Blight played one season together in 1979.

In that years Brownlow, Blight polled 5 whilst Ebert polled 9.

If Ebert never becomes a Legend whilst he is alive then the whole thing is a farce.

If they had of just changed the rules tonight to put them both in it would've been really nice and a bipartisan celebration of SA football.

Alas.

Goodnight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My only real issue with Blight becoming a legend is that it's highly unlikely they'll pick a South Australian again next time.

So we'll have to wait 6-8 years at the very least, and in that time we might start to see the likes of Ablett, Dunstall and others who finished their careers after Ebert start to go ahead of him.

He's such an obvious choice it's so bloody stupid that we have to argue this every bloody time.

Stevens was a great player, was Norths best mid in their great era of success. HOF worthy? Dunno. I reckon he was as good as Buddha whos in.

Everyone who was inducted or elevated and spoke last night, talked about playing footy in the backyard as a kid and practiced kicking the winning goal after the siren, most doing it to win a GF.

None talked about dreaming of being a defender, none talked about being a small forward applying defensive pressure. Somehow I don't think they will be talking about that either in 30,40, 50 or 60 years time when this generation of kids get inducted. Many won't grow up with backyards but kicking goals will still be the dream.

My only real issue with Blight becoming a legend is that it's highly unlikely they'll pick a South Australian again next time.

So we'll have to wait 6-8 years at the very least, and in that time we might start to see the likes of Ablett, Dunstall and others who finished their careers after Ebert start to go ahead of him.

He's such an obvious choice it's so bloody stupid that we have to argue this every bloody time.
Its why the Legend status is a wank. To separate players into the top 10% is dumb and so biased.The overwhelming majority of legends in the HoF played in the 1960's and 70's. Lockett is the only one whose career was mainly in the 1990s. You are going to have to wait until 2040 to say guys who played in the 2000's are amongst the top 10% to ever play the game when everybody already knows it.

Everyone who was inducted or elevated and spoke last night, talked about playing footy in the backyard as a kid and practiced kicking the winning goal after the siren, most doing it to win a GF.

None talked about dreaming of being a defender, none talked about being a small forward applying defensive pressure. Somehow I don't think they will be talking about that either in 30,40, 50 or 60 years time when this generation of kids get inducted. Many won't grow up with backyards but kicking goals will still be the dream.
We were the kid in 2013-14

Stevens was a great player, was Norths best mid in their great era of success. HOF worthy? Dunno. I reckon he was as good as Buddha whos in.
As has been mentioned, if Bickley is a standard, hard to complain about most other players who get in.

Buddha was a better footballer. 4 times B&F in a star studded side 4 times all Oz in the midfield. Stephens didn't have a right foot. Buddha's left foot was as good as I have seen for a right footer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back