Australian Vaccine Rollout

Remove this Banner Ad

It didnt need to happen Day 1. The GPs would need time to get prepared (whether or not they were in the meetings).

The GPs were more than entitled to decline based on not knowing enough. That is a part of their job.

But there are millions of healthy people who could be vaccinsted with AZ and not have to wait until maybe next year. It also means Pfizer can be targeted where needed.

Its interesting that before aged care workers could choose to be vaccinated the Sonic Health centres set aside for them to get rapid vaccinations were empty.

Now they have to get vaccjnated the waiting times are as long as the hubs the rest of us have to wait for.

Not making it compulsory from the beginning was a ridiculous decision.

Healthcare aged care disabiliry care and the quarantine network (hotels and transport) should have been vaccinated from day 1 of supplies arriving.

If all these groups were done and had strict (enforced) protocols none of the outbreaks other than the original would have happened.

on GP's, i think they should have negotiated with them before hand, so you get everything lined up and ready for day one - and you get to have the head of each state assoc in the media advocating for it immediately (instead of telling GP's to hold)

on frontline workers, dont disagree. there do need to be exceptions (some roles are extremely tough to replace if someone has to decline for medical reasons), but exceptions can be managed

So people under 60 can get AZ, as the PM said.

Got it.

Do you have a list of things which the tens of thousands of GPs across Australia should all be consulted on during a pandemic where the situation seems to change hourly, let alone daily?

Given the Premiers disagree on most things, you have a problem with the Prime Minister making a decision on behalf of Australia?
I don't know whether it's about consulting every single GP. Just that maybe it would have been good to have consulted some of the GP associations so they had some idea what was going on rather than GPs having no idea which led to widespread confusion when it was announced.

I don't know whether it's about consulting every single GP. Just that maybe it would have been good to have consulted some of the GP associations so they had some idea what was going on rather than GPs having no idea which led to widespread confusion when it was announced.

And how long for that to filter through to all the GPs? The GP network in NSW is terribly run. I have no idea about other states. But there wasnt time to wait.

Its hard enough when politicians pot shot eachother. Its even worse when chief health officers are rolled out to peddle garbage. Including yet another group in the decision making process is just asking for trouble.

And how long for that to filter through to all the GPs? The GP network in NSW is terribly run. I have no idea about other states. But there wasnt time to wait.

Its hard enough when politicians pot shot eachother. Its even worse when chief health officers are rolled out to peddle garbage. Including yet another group in the decision making process is just asking for trouble.
I think it could've had a slightly higher uptake if it seemed like a more considered/consultative policy and if, when it had been launched, GPs had known what was happening. Then when people rang up for the first time, they could advise them rather than turning them away (which adds another hoop for people to jump through (and some people wouldn't have bothered)). This would've only required a heads up a couple days or a week before the announcement I would've thought.

I think it could've had a slightly higher uptake if it seemed like a more considered/consultative policy and if, when it had been launched, GPs had known what was happening. Then when people rang up for the first time, they could advise them rather than turning them away (which adds another hoop for people to jump through (and some people wouldn't have bothered)). This would've only required a heads up a couple days or a week before the announcement I would've thought.

Its been a few weeks now and some/many GPs still arent doing it.

You can also add that the GPs that opted in setup appointments and their order didn't come through or ordered 50 and got 30 or nothing. Patients weren't happy and had to do all over again. Didn't run smoothly at all. My clinic actually gave up but have gone back onto the list again as things have improved. AZ only.

What I don't get how Chemists are going to do it. Physically their shops are not designed to have people waiting and not sure how they will be observed for the mandatory 15 mins after vaccination. Chemist shops like I go to are rather small as are the big names like Chemist Warehouse and My Chemist etc.
Anyway, hope it works out.

My business partner had his AZ shot today. He’s 31. Had his first appointment with his GP Tuesday (to go through all the possible side effects and info etc) and then had the actual jab today. When he got in the room they asked him if he was there for Pfizer or AZ. He answered AZ. They then paused and asked if he was sure and then asked why he wanted to get AZ and if was aware of the possible side effects. He was quite annoyed that they made him second guess the decision and just wanted to get it done. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Why would they do that? I don’t think we need anymore second guessing….

My business partner had his AZ shot today. He’s 31. Had his first appointment with his GP Tuesday (to go through all the possible side effects and info etc) and then had the actual jab today. When he got in the room they asked him if he was there for Pfizer or AZ. He answered AZ. They then paused and asked if he was sure and then asked why he wanted to get AZ and if was aware of the possible side effects. He was quite annoyed that they made him second guess the decision and just wanted to get it done. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Why would they do that? I don’t think we need anymore second guessing….
18 months of fear campaigning from our government has fried portions of the community.

This sort of stuff is severely counter productive. If someone has gone through it with their doctor and have documentation that says so, that should be enough. Jab no questions asked.

Also, were they saying this to him with the proviso that they were prepared to jab him with Pfizer instead? If no, it's even worse.

This sort of stuff is severely counter productive. If someone has gone through it with their doctor and have documentation that says so, that should be enough. Jab no questions asked.

Also, were they saying this to him with the proviso that they were prepared to jab him with Pfizer instead? If no, it's even worse.
Two Australian AZ deaths this week. Yes its safe, but I wonder if those two cases discussed it.... wont happen to me.
Thats the issue, its safe in the greater scheme of things but people (and GP's) are overly cautious when Pfizer is available

Yeah so the Wednesday his GP went through it all with him and told him to go for it. Then today second appointment was with another doctor and nurse to get the actual vaccine. Because he’s 31 they were like oh are you here for Pfizer or AZ.. almost as if they thought he wasn’t aware of the eligibility - then he said AZ and they again were asking if he was sure he wanted it and if he was aware of the possible side effects. They almost went weird about it were his exact words. He still got it.. but he was extremely annoyed about how they went about it. If GPs are carrying on like this, it’s concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah so the Wednesday his GP went through it all with him and told him to go for it. Then today second appointment was with another doctor and nurse to get the actual vaccine. Because he’s 31 they were like oh are you here for Pfizer or AZ.. almost as if they thought he wasn’t aware of the eligibility - then he said AZ and they again were asking if he was sure he wanted it and if he was aware of the possible side effects. They almost went weird about it were his exact words. He still got it.. but he was extremely annoyed about how they went about it. If GPs are carrying on like this, it’s concerning.
Agreed. I guess my point is that it's even worse if they're doing their level best to discourage people from getting AZ if they're also not saying "we're happy to give you Pfizer right now" as an alternative. Because in terms of vaccine efficacy and our overall situation, these are your three outcomes in order of what we want:

1. People get Pfizer
2. People get AZ

26,000.000. People get neither jab

If your mate had had a change of heart, were they prepared to offer him a Pfizer shot?

Agreed. I guess my point is that it's even worse if they're doing their level best to discourage people from getting AZ if they're also not saying "we're happy to give you Pfizer right now" as an alternative. Because in terms of vaccine efficacy and our overall situation, these are your three outcomes in order of what we want:

1. People get Pfizer
2. People get AZ

26,000.000. People get neither jab

If your mate had had a change of heart, were they prepared to offer him a Pfizer shot?

Agreed. Well based on their initial questioning of eligibility I would assume no! They were supposedly just really awkward about AZ. Strange times right now.

1st July.
ATAGI co-chair Christopher Blyth says there are very few situations where he would advise younger people to get AZ.
"There are some situations where that would be warranted, but they are quite small," he said.

24th July.
ATAGI urges all adult Sydneysiders to 'strongly consider' the AstraZeneca vaccine amid NSW COVID outbreak

Maybe a virus outbreak (the very reason we created these vaccines!) is one of those situations where younger people should get an AZ shot, but what would I know? And shouldn't people be getting the first shot of a vaccine well in advance of outbreaks, given we need two shots for the full effect? And even now, ATAGI can't bring themselves to recommend AZ shots without reservation.

ATAGI - worst expert panel ever.

Australia remains committed to a "zero Covid" strategy, which means borders will remain closed and there won't be a resumption of international travel until 2022 at the earliest.

Setting aside whether this is going to be feasible and sustainable over the long term, I wonder whether this approach is designed to take the pressure off the slow vaccine roll-out.

If reopening borders and resuming travel was a more immediate option, the slow vaccine roll-out would be the main obstacle to that and the government would be getting baked over it.

By slow-playing the reopening, the government gives itself wiggle room to say "well there's no rush so the slow roll-out isn't a critical issue".

Australia remains committed to a "zero Covid" strategy, which means borders will remain closed and there won't be a resumption of international travel until 2022 at the earliest.

Setting aside whether this is going to be feasible and sustainable over the long term, I wonder whether this approach is designed to take the pressure off the slow vaccine roll-out.

If reopening borders and resuming travel was a more immediate option, the slow vaccine roll-out would be the main obstacle to that and the government would be getting baked over it.

By slow-playing the reopening, the government gives itself wiggle room to say "well there's no rush so the slow roll-out isn't a critical issue".
If you don't have a "zero COVID" strategy and your population is largely unvaccinated, there will be massive outbreaks which will undermine the entire point of closing the border for the last 15 months or so. I'm not really sure how you could speed up the reopening without more people vaccinated. It's clear the vaccines need to come first.

If you don't have a "zero COVID" strategy and your population is largely unvaccinated, there will be massive outbreaks which will undermine the entire point of closing the border for the last 15 months or so. I'm not really sure how you could speed up the reopening without more people vaccinated. It's clear the vaccines need to come first.
Indeed. And if you bungle the vaccine roll-out, it probably makes sense to tell everyone that reopening is miles off anyway so it's not a big deal.

You can also add that the GPs that opted in setup appointments and their order didn't come through or ordered 50 and got 30 or nothing. Patients weren't happy and had to do all over again. Didn't run smoothly at all. My clinic actually gave up but have gone back onto the list again as things have improved. AZ only.

What I don't get how Chemists are going to do it. Physically their shops are not designed to have people waiting and not sure how they will be observed for the mandatory 15 mins after vaccination. Chemist shops like I go to are rather small as are the big names like Chemist Warehouse and My Chemist etc.
Anyway, hope it works out.

Flu shots are done through chemists. I assume the same ones will do covid vaccines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back