Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

. I am excited to get back to work again, and can't wait until Saturday 30 April. :) plug done

Is there many tickets left for the RoW show? I'm considering going but haven't made up my mind yet.

Anyone have any knowledge or familiarity with QWA out of Townsville? I’m kind of stuck here for a little while cos I don’t have the money to get home, but it’s only 15 bucks.

I can’t find any evidence that they stream, and quite a bit of their roster don’t even have Cagematch pages. Does it sound a bit backyardy, or is that just how local wrestling is outside the capital cities?

Didn't someone post here saying it was their home promotion? Pretty sure it's Mason Child's home promotion.

Is there many tickets left for the RoW show? I'm considering going but haven't made up my mind yet.
Ringside & floor is sold out, there's still standing room & restricted view left. :)

In terms of the configuration of Collingwood Town Hall, what is the capacity for wrestling?

Could shape up to be a pretty decent crowd.

Alas, Hawthorn are playing Melbourne at the G from 4.30pm so I am going to be late and will probably wind up standing where I can't see.

The matches announced for the first Renegades show is almost Aussie dream card territory. I’m spewing I’m not in Melbourne, and I can’t wait to get back and come to a show. (Could be sooner than planned, this road trip has become a nightmare over the last 3 weeks.)

JONAH, Golden Eagles, Aysha, Lena, Tarlee (who will dominate Melbourne now she’s moved down), Tommy Knight, The Velocities… and then the last match announced today with Mat Diamond, Murdoch(!) and RAT ******* DADDY… damn it’s a blow away card. (And the Rat Daddy video on socials is the greatest wrestling vignette I’ve ever seen )

Any idea what the streaming set up will look like Rhi?

Clearly you aren’t going live first up, I’m sure that would’ve been announced by now. But are we looking at a full 2 weeks like most MCW shows and recent DMDU shows? And can you let us in on a streaming service? (Does Mikey own the Aus wrestling one that had/has the old MCW & PWA Melbourne stuff on it? I subbed to that until the sale to try and support MCW through the pandemic.)

Finally, a request for future shows - I reckon you’re (only!) missing 2 absolute standouts in Australia that I want to see more of in Ricky South & Luchi (although neither seem to take a lot, if any bookings outside NSW.) Add those 2, and it’s pretty much everyone I want to see on an Australian wrestling card. (Although you should book Brooksy when he’s home too… but that might be cos I have a huge crush on him. And I’m still crossing my fingers that you’ll eventually have Avary & Royce as well)

Oh, and if Mikey Broderick isn’t coming back to MCW, I need to see him somewhere in Melbourne. Those squats were the only exercise I got!

Last edited:
Been too long.

Check us out on Facebook and youtube.

Tonight's show is going to be great with Gavin McGavin visiting to take on Trent O'Day in a number one contender match for the QWA United Heavyweight Championship.

We also have a coffin match tonight between Tainted Crow and Edmund Blair.

Holy s**t! The person who mentioned QWA was my old WNA mate, the man, the ******* legend Chezzalenko Reborn !!!

I know you don’t post here often mate, but let me know if you’re at the Townsville show next week, I’m going to try and get along to it! After 20 years we might finally have a beer!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The matches announced for the first Renegades show is almost Aussie dream card territory. I’m spewing I’m not in Melbourne, and I can’t wait to get back and come to a show. (Could be sooner than planned, this road trip has become a nightmare over the last 3 weeks.)

JONAH, Golden Eagles, Aysha, Lena, Tarlee (who will dominate Melbourne now she’s moved down), Tommy Knight, The Velocities… and then the last match announced today with Mat Diamond, Murdoch(!) and RAT ******* DADDY… damn it’s a blow away card. (And the Rat Daddy video on socials is the greatest wrestling vignette I’ve ever seen )

Clearly you aren’t going live first up, I’m sure that would’ve been announced by now. But are we looking at a full 2 weeks like most MCW shows and recent DMDU shows? And can you let us in on a streaming service? (Does Mikey own the Aus wrestling one that had/has the old MCW & PWA Melbourne stuff on it? I subbed to that until the sale to try and support MCW through the pandemic.)

Finally, a request for future shows - I reckon you’re (only!) missing 2 absolute standouts in Australia that I want to see more of in Ricky South & Luchi (although neither seem to take a lot, if any bookings outside NSW.) Add those 2, and it’s pretty much everyone I want to see on an Australian wrestling card. (Although you should book Brooksy when he’s home too… but that might be cos I have a huge crush on him. And I’m still crossing my fingers that you’ll eventually have Avary & Royce as well)

Oh, and if Mikey Broderick isn’t coming back to MCW, I need to see him somewhere in Melbourne. Those squats were the only exercise I got!
The Bruce Hway can be a nightmare, So can sympathise!

The Bruce Hway can be a nightmare, So can sympathise!

It’s not even that… identity theft, car vandalised, an expensive issue with the van, a friend screwed me over. I’ve now found myself at the other end of the country miserable and with no money.

I just wish I were back in Melbourne drinking beer with my friends.

It’s not even that… identity theft, car vandalised, an expensive issue with the van, a friend screwed me over. I’ve now found myself at the other end of the country miserable and with no money.

I just wish I were back in Melbourne drinking beer with my friends.

That sucks. There might be some temp work available up there that you could do to help you financially? It’s not really a mining town like Mackay, where you could easily pick something up. I don’t know anyone there anymore as they have all moved.

They can’t do a temp fix on the van? To try to get you home? It’s a 3 day drive, from there, which is hard driving, 12-14 hours per day. Which may not be an option. Also depends which way you go. If you go through charters towers and Charleville ect, in case you break down there will be a lot less help. You definitely don’t want to be stranded in a place like Alpha. Going down the coast which is longer towards Brisbane where you have the bigger towns, like Mackay and Rockhampton, could be your safest option, even if it is longer.

Hopefully things turn around for you.

Sorry to hear that Nobby, that sucks. Hope you can resolve things sooner rather than later.

As an aside, decided to buy PWA King of the Metro on FITE this eve. Tremendous show so far (currently about 1/3rd of the way through the Rumble). Absolutely no filler at all.

Sorry to hear that Nobby, that sucks. Hope you can resolve things sooner rather than later.

As an aside, decided to buy PWA King of the Metro on FITE this eve. Tremendous show so far (currently about 1/3rd of the way through the Rumble). Absolutely no filler at all.

I’m glad the Metro show was great. And a bit jealous. Staying in a free caravan park I don’t have power for my laptop, so I wasn’t able to watch it. Which is a huge bummer, I probably would’ve watched the FWA shows this weekend too. Production isn’t great at all, but after attending a show in December I really like the promotion, it has a good vibe.

That sucks. There might be some temp work available up there that you could do to help you financially? It’s not really a mining town like Mackay, where you could easily pick something up. I don’t know anyone there anymore as they have all moved.

They can’t do a temp fix on the van? To try to get you home? It’s a 3 day drive, from there, which is hard driving, 12-14 hours per day. Which may not be an option. Also depends which way you go. If you go through charters towers and Charleville ect, in case you break down there will be a lot less help. You definitely don’t want to be stranded in a place like Alpha. Going down the coast which is longer towards Brisbane where you have the bigger towns, like Mackay and Rockhampton, could be your safest option, even if it is longer.

Hopefully things turn around for you.

I did the proper fix on the van a couple of weeks ago, but this week I’ve developed an issue with the solar battery as well. That, combined with the identity theft, is why I have no money for petrol all the way back to Melbourne.

I’m trying to sell some stuff so I can at least get into a powered site for a few days, clean up the van and sell it. I think that Townsville is hopefully an ok place to move it. If not? Hopefully I’ll be able to sell some s**t and drag it… well, probably as far as Brisbane to sell it, cos I’ve got a few friends in Brissie and can hopefully get a bit of free accommodation by moving between their houses every couple of days.

I’m glad the Metro show was great. And a bit jealous. Staying in a free caravan park I don’t have power for my laptop, so I wasn’t able to watch it. Which is a huge bummer, I probably would’ve watched the FWA shows this weekend too. Production isn’t great at all, but after attending a show in December I really like the promotion, it has a good vibe.

I did the proper fix on the van a couple of weeks ago, but this week I’ve developed an issue with the solar battery as well. That, combined with the identity theft, is why I have no money for petrol all the way back to Melbourne.

I’m trying to sell some stuff so I can at least get into a powered site for a few days, clean up the van and sell it. I think that Townsville is hopefully an ok place to move it. If not? Hopefully I’ll be able to sell some s**t and drag it… well, probably as far as Brisbane to sell it, cos I’ve got a few friends in Brissie and can hopefully get a bit of free accommodation by moving between their houses every couple of days.

Townsville should be alright to move it. Townsville is basically halfway between 2 big tourist places in Cairns and Arlie Beach. Admittedly they are more back packers, but you should find someone that will be looking for something especially if they want to head out west or further North to CookTown/Weipa. Although technically still the wet season up there, won’t be the full on dry until end of May…

Having made the decision to come home as soon as I can move the van, the on sale for Great Emu War Games had me wondering if this was the event that a few of us geeks could meet irl at. I think it’s a main event that’s unique and people will get up for, and I suspect most of you will have similar problems to me in getting mates out to Altona.

Turns out it’s nearly impossible to get there and back on public transport. In which case it should’ve been a Sunday show IMO. After the last show went 4 hours, I can’t see a show capped off by war games running any shorter. And assuming I end up back in the Northcote/Thornbury area (which is my hope), you’re looking at 90 minutes+ to get home. And let’s be realistic.., after 4 hours+ of chugging beers, you’re not getting public transport, you’re spending a s**t ton on an Uber.

It’s almost bad enough that DMDU should consider operating a couple of 22-seater shuttle buses to a train station. (The venue is pretty much in the middle of 3 different lines.)

In terms of the configuration of Collingwood Town Hall, what is the capacity for wrestling?

Could shape up to be a pretty decent crowd.

Alas, Hawthorn are playing Melbourne at the G from 4.30pm so I am going to be late and will probably wind up standing where I can't see.

It’s a bit bigger than Thornbury Theatre, but I think the first show will be working out the set up and finding what is the best fit for us.

The show will be available as soon as possible, I think the aim will be by the Friday 6 May. We are hoping to make an announcement more on this, this week.

Yes Mikey owns the AWN and still owns this.

And passing along your requests

I am sorry to read your troubles getting home. Hope you are able to get back here soon!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy ******* s**t

What a brutal and heart breaking injury to receive on a local wrestling show. He was on the tear of his life too.

I was hoping things might come together so that I might be passing through Sydney for PWAs Coogee show. Without Tuff Stuff they’ve lost one of their big draws

4-5 months might be ambitious too, you wouldn’t really know at this stage with a compression injury.

Shattered for him

Holy ******* s**t

What a brutal and heart breaking injury to receive on a local wrestling show. He was on the tear of his life too.

I was hoping things might come together so that I might be passing through Sydney for PWAs Coogee show. Without Tuff Stuff they’ve lost one of their big draws

4-5 months might be ambitious too, you wouldn’t really know at this stage with a compression injury.

Shattered for him

Yeah I am heartbroken for him. Just awful. :(

Twitter has blown up in support of last nights show. And for me, 4 June was a pretty announcement for the next show, I’m starting to be confident that I can be at that one. (Might be one a couple of us could have a beer at given DMDU don’t look like being at the Arrow for a while)

Can anyone give me a heads up on who was in Andrewartha’s faction?

Twitter has blown up in support of last nights show. And for me, 4 June was a pretty announcement for the next show, I’m starting to be confident that I can be at that one. (Might be one a couple of us could have a beer at given DMDU don’t look like being at the Arrow for a while)

Can anyone give me a heads up on who was in Andrewartha’s faction?

Very overwhelming but we're very grateful that's for sure.

And as for your last question... stay tuned to find out. ;)

Very overwhelming but we're very grateful that's for sure.

And as for your last question... stay tuned to find out. ;)

Fair enough. Wasn’t sure whether the crowd was meant to know and it just wasn’t reported on Twitter, or whether it was meant to be a surprise.

I thought it was a good show for a first outing as a mix of matches and character development. The opener set a good pace and the main event was the kind of big man match I had expected going in (both in the 3-4* range). Golden Eagles v The Velocities was the clear match of the night in my opinion. The length of the show was perfect too.

The venue is very good for pro-wrestling. I anticipate it will look great on video. Indeed, if they could book someone to genuinely sell the place out (like Ospreay or some other high-profile independent talent - does anybody have Minoru Suzuki's number?), I imagine it would almost have a Hammerstein Ballroom vibe about it. The balcony is a great vantage point. One very minor quibble is that you can't take drinks up there, but that's not the promotion's fault. I don't know who scouted the venue or what it costs but hopefully it becomes their home moving forward and it seems like it will be in the short-term at least.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what merch they put out. WrestleRock/the old MCW always did such a good job with that. I've got more wear out of my MCW Melbourne Bitter style shirt than just about anything (which made it onto AEW Dynamite when I was in Nashville in 2019 countless times as my mate and I were sitting by the ramp). I picked up the standard ROW shirt which looks good but am looking forward to what else they come out with.

I'm an unlikely starter for 4 June but will be interested to see how they go next up.

The balcony is a great vantage point. One very minor quibble is that you can't take drinks up there, but that's not the promotion's fault.

That’s waaay more than a minor quibble for people who spend their Friday or Saturday night at the local wrestling with their mates sinking piss.

If they could maybe create a scenario where downstairs is 18+ and upstairs is all ages, I guess it would potentially work. I mean I want kids to be able to come… but its more important to me that I can sink piss and worry less about who’s around me.

I’m glad you like the venue though. I don’t think i’m likely to end up on either of the train lines that service it directly, so it’s probably not at convenient as the Thornbury Theatre or the Arrow.

But I’ve seen the venue before and can imagine it being a great wrestling venue. And it’s MUCH better than Altona or Geelong. (Im gunna miss Emu War Games just cos it’s in a s**t location I think.)

I'm also looking forward to seeing what merch they put out. WrestleRock/the old MCW always did such a good job with that. I've got more wear out of my MCW Melbourne Bitter style shirt than just about anything (which made it onto AEW Dynamite when I was in Nashville in 2019 countless times as my mate and I were sitting by the ramp). I picked up the standard ROW shirt which looks good but am looking forward to what else they come out with.

I got one of those MCW shirts as an add-on when ordering from PWTees. It’s weird, in that it’s a much different red/maroon too what MCW were selling, but it looks so much more like the Melbourne bitter can. I don’t care too much that the colour is different, I can wear it in public and people just associate i with the beer (especially in the inner north where I hung out.)

It stood out like dogs balls when I wore it to a show though, I’d never wear it again. (I’ve had shocking luck with PWTees- the MCW shirt is the wrong colour, I bought a Kellyanne shirt & not only did she retire before I wore it, but she became a flog, and I bought the pink and blue MCW one before embarking on a road trip and adding a bunch of weight. Similar deal with my “Blacklisted”shirt from wrestermerch that I don’t think JXT or Fox have worn since.)

All I want from Renegades is a beanie. I can’t believe I can’t get one from MCW or
DMDU (or PWA or FWA in Sydney for that matter!)

I thought it was a good show for a first outing as a mix of matches and character development. The opener set a good pace and the main event was the kind of big man match I had expected going in (both in the 3-4* range). Golden Eagles v The Velocities was the clear match of the night in my opinion. The length of the show was perfect too.

The venue is very good for pro-wrestling. I anticipate it will look great on video. Indeed, if they could book someone to genuinely sell the place out (like Ospreay or some other high-profile independent talent - does anybody have Minoru Suzuki's number?), I imagine it would almost have a Hammerstein Ballroom vibe about it. The balcony is a great vantage point. One very minor quibble is that you can't take drinks up there, but that's not the promotion's fault. I don't know who scouted the venue or what it costs but hopefully it becomes their home moving forward and it seems like it will be in the short-term at least.

I'm an unlikely starter for 4 June but will be interested to see how they go next up.

We'll have to do the footy/wrestling double again like we did for the New Japan show. Sounds like a great card - unfortunately had a wedding to go on Saturday otherwise would have been there. Reckon my son would dig it - he's starting to get a bit of taste for the biz. Just on Collingwood Town Hall - one of the first live shows I ever attended was at Collingwood Town Hall back in the early 90s, headlined by Ken "Dazzler" Dunlop and Lofty Pickford. I got Ken's autobiography for Christmas - a really interesting read (if slightly grimey in parts). I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to get a feel of what pro-wrestling in Australia was like post World Championship Wrestling (he entered the business just as the promotion folded) but before the rise of the indies. Ken was the best worker in the country at the time IMHO.

We'll have to do the footy/wrestling double again like we did for the New Japan show. Sounds like a great card - unfortunately had a wedding to go on Saturday otherwise would have been there. Reckon my son would dig it - he's starting to get a bit of taste for the biz. Just on Collingwood Town Hall - one of the first live shows I ever attended was at Collingwood Town Hall back in the early 90s, headlined by Ken "Dazzler" Dunlop and Lofty Pickford. I got Ken's autobiography for Christmas - a really interesting read (if slightly grimey in parts). I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to get a feel of what pro-wrestling in Australia was like post World Championship Wrestling (he entered the business just as the promotion folded) but before the rise of the indies. Ken was the best worker in the country at the time IMHO.

How hard is it for you to get to Thornbury? The last two MCW shows I've been to have been incredible. I've accumulated a crew of 3/4 non-wrestling fans who are insistent on coming to their shows now including one mate with a young baby who travels up from Geelong.

Unfortunately I'm an unlikely starter for two weeks' time (14 May), but hopefully back on deck for Ballroom Brawl (aka their Royal Rumble) which should be in the month or two to follow.

Otherwise, sure we'll be able to manage a Renegades show soon. The venue is perfect when it aligns with the footy. I left the MCG at the 25-minute mark of the final quarter, ran direct to Collingwood Town Hall and made it within minutes of the opening bell (noteworthy that the officiating was a lot more even-handed at ROW than at the G, but I digress...). Most exercise I've done since COVID. A 2pm start for the footy rather than 4.35pm followed by a couple of beers locally at a local venue like Lulie Tavern or something would be a perfect itinerary.

How hard is it for you to get to Thornbury? The last two MCW shows I've been to have been incredible. I've accumulated a crew of 3/4 non-wrestling fans who are insistent on coming to their shows now including one mate with a young baby who travels up from Geelong.

Unfortunately I'm an unlikely starter for two weeks' time (14 May), but hopefully back on deck for Ballroom Brawl (aka their Royal Rumble) which should be in the month or two to follow.

Otherwise, sure we'll be able to manage a Renegades show soon. The venue is perfect when it aligns with the footy. I left the MCG at the 25-minute mark of the final quarter, ran direct to Collingwood Town Hall and made it within minutes of the opening bell (noteworthy that the officiating was a lot more even-handed at ROW than at the G, but I digress...). Most exercise I've done since COVID. A 2pm start for the footy rather than 4.35pm followed by a couple of beers locally at a local venue like Lulie Tavern or something would be a perfect itinerary.

Thornbury is very doable for me. I love Battle Royals so would totally be up for Ballroom Brawl.

Registered here to join the Aus wres discussion and offer a few thoughts on the RoW debut. I enjoyed the show and am happy for all involved that it was a success but was 50/50 on the Lochy Hendricks promo.

It was clearly an emotional and heartfelt promo but it was also apparent that he holds a lot of bitterness and resentment towards MCW. I can't recall the exact line, but he characterised them as a "promotion that doesn't care about Australian Wrestling" or something to that extent.

My suggestion, which I hope is taken constructively, is that now that he has been allowed this catharsis he and the company moves on from whatever occurred and looks to establish its identity free from the negative baggage of the past. Regardless of the politics or perceived wrongdoing behind the scenes it does Australian wrestling no favours to have people publicly running down other promotions especially when it is made a feature of the in-ring product.

If the company is looking to expand its audience and become a national promotion then making creative decisions that assumes knowledge of backstage politics of the local Melbourne scene is a dead end. This sort of anti-establishment thing might work with AEW where there is a large pool of dis-illusioned ex-WWE fans to draw from but at a local level it will leave many fans confused.

There were a tonne of positives from the show not the least of which was the venue and match quality and from my limited knowledge and experience the people behind the promotion are great folks who care deeply about the scene. Fingers crossed RoW can offer a missing piece of the puzzle here in Australian wrestling and help to grow the existing audience and profile of the talent for the benefit of the entire independent scene.

Registered here to join the Aus wres discussion and offer a few thoughts on the RoW debut. I enjoyed the show and am happy for all involved that it was a success but was 50/50 on the Lochy Hendricks promo.

It was clearly an emotional and heartfelt promo but it was also apparent that he holds a lot of bitterness and resentment towards MCW. I can't recall the exact line, but he characterised them as a "promotion that doesn't care about Australian Wrestling" or something to that extent.

My suggestion, which I hope is taken constructively, is that now that he has been allowed this catharsis he and the company moves on from whatever occurred and looks to establish its identity free from the negative baggage of the past. Regardless of the politics or perceived wrongdoing behind the scenes it does Australian wrestling no favours to have people publicly running down other promotions especially when it is made a feature of the in-ring product.

If the company is looking to expand its audience and become a national promotion then making creative decisions that assumes knowledge of backstage politics of the local Melbourne scene is a dead end. This sort of anti-establishment thing might work with AEW where there is a large pool of dis-illusioned ex-WWE fans to draw from but at a local level it will leave many fans confused.

There were a tonne of positives from the show not the least of which was the venue and match quality and from my limited knowledge and experience the people behind the promotion are great folks who care deeply about the scene. Fingers crossed RoW can offer a missing piece of the puzzle here in Australian wrestling and help to grow the existing audience and profile of the talent for the benefit of the entire independent scene

Welcome! I'm glad we've got people joining specifically for this thread.

You know what? The more I hear about the bullshit, the less I want to know. I think it's cos MCW was THE brand when I started attending at the start of 2019... but the more I hear, the more they sound like the bad guys of the scene, especially post sale. Which sucks. The scene isn't big enough in Australia that you can hold guys exclusive, regardless of what you pay them. And getting to see less of guys like Slex and Brooksy (not withstanding current overseas tours) isn't good for anyone.

On the contrary, you shouldn't have to be going interstate for MCW vs PWA or PCW vs RCW - we should be working towards seeing whether we can build one predominantly-Melbourne supershow a year and see if we can fill a bigger arena. Not sure what that arena is now without festival hall - and 3-4k seaters generally aren't that well known. But I think John Cain holds 6-7k. You get the best of Melbourne, a few guys from interstate like Moretti and the Velocities, and then guys from overseas like JONAH, Aussie Open, and then 1-2 real superstars - Danielson, Mox, Okada. I have to think you'd at least match the attendance from the New Japan tours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back