Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Geelong supporter will getting these 2 really delay the inevitable though ? Yes there is great talent coming through but I wonder if this is like how hawthorn went after Mitchell and Omera?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It depends, because the whole reason the Richmond & Hawthorn models failed is because they didn't have any youth coming through (Plus Clarkson trading more away for Wingard)

Five first round picks & nine in the top 25 coming through is a farcry from what those two clubs prepared when executing those trades, so we'd be a couple years ahead in that respect.

Even with that though, I'd still be hesitant. Not against bringing in ready made talent, but preferably without the off-field drama that those two bring.

Minus Selwood, and likely Hawkins & Danger this year, I'm less inclined to believe our culture is so strong that we'll be able to keep them on the right path too.

Even just a couple of years ago, Smith & Oliver would be guided by veterans who know what it takes, where as by next year, they'll be our most experienced players alongside Stewart, Cameron, & Guthrie.

When those guys are the ones setting the standards for youngsters rather than falling in line themselves...I don't think you'd have to be a paranoid type to be wary about that proposition.

Massive buyer beware here. Genuinely could be a superstar or flop depending on the off field and injuries. If I was a rebuilding club I'd use my assets elsewhere.

He'd be 24 by the time he pulled the boots on, coming back from an ACL. I appreciate that salary-wise, the numbers being thrown may not seem as extravagant in a year or two. But I'm not keen given the suggested asking price. I don't want to be coughing up future first rounders, given a likely impending slide down the ladder. I'm very comfortable with walking away from this if it's going to take a massive haul to prise him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd be 24 by the time he pulled the boots on, coming back from an ACL. I appreciate that salary-wise, the numbers being thrown may not seem as extravagant in a year or two. But I'm not keen given the suggested asking price. I don't want to be coughing up future first rounders, given a likely impending slide down the ladder. I'm very comfortable with walking away from this if it's going to take a massive haul to prise him out.
That's why the 2 years to FA is in play. A club can offer overs in $$$ (as some FAs get) without needing the picks.

Bailey Smith had question marks over him before he did the ACL. It would be completely insane to offer him a long term deal on big $$$ and cough up serious draft capital for him immediately after he has done the ACL. Happy to leave to Hawthorn.

Massive buyer beware here. Genuinely could be a superstar or flop depending on the off field and injuries. If I was a rebuilding club I'd use my assets elsewhere.
Legit the most over rated player in the league

An outside pacey player with s**t disposal and decision making skills.

He is the epitome of a youtube player. Has a few highlights of kicking long running goals and that seduces people into looking over the rest of his junk

Bailey Smith had question marks over him before he did the ACL. It would be completely insane to offer him a long term deal on big $$$ and cough up serious draft capital for him immediately after he has done the ACL. Happy to leave to Hawthorn.

No no no

I insist he finds his way to Geelong, Essendon or... Fremantle

:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back