Speculation Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Except not every player returns "the same" and/or they do the acl on the same knee again.

I also thought he had knee issues in his teen years ? Hence my scepticism.
There has been a lot of research into this and there is a link between return form and level of professionalism/training standards that an athlete works at. Basically the better the trainer and more diligent the athlete the better and quicker they return to form.

Recent examples if you look at Sicily and Docherty who have had reco's but were very diligent and professional, they come back and hit the ground running.

Impey put on weight and didn't manage his rehab as well as Sicily and it took him 18 months after his to get back to something that resembled pre injury form.

The question you have to ask yourself is where do you see Smith at? He is a phenomenal trainer (probably over trainer) but he's also taken a step back from the club rehabilitation process, so I'm not sure at what standard he'll return after his ACL.

Hawks overpaying, we need to keep our pick (if it is in the top 5) - we don't need Smith that much.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our head of footy has quite literally stated for 18 months that we’d like to add some more zip and xfactor to the midfield.

Pies dont have the draft capital to make it happen. Dogs at a point where they know his exit is imminent. Will maximise value.

Dogs get: Pick 8, 2025 Round 2 (Haw)
Dogs give: Bailey Smith

Suns get: Pick 3
Suns give Pick 8, pick 9

Hawks get: Bailey Smith, Pick 9
Hawks give: Pick 3, 2025 round 2(Haw)

Thats essentially what I've heard.

Suns need to get above any picks for Academy players, and currently at 8/9 thats a risk.

Points wise this rates Bailey Smith at roughly a pick 9.
All of this means nothing if Smith chooses Collingwood.

Pies don’t even have half the draft currency to get it done. Doesn’t mean anything if he chooses them, he’s not a free agent.
Smith requests, Pies find a way to get it done. Highly doubt they would be chasing this hard if they thought they didn’t have the assets to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith requests, Pies find a way to get it done. Highly doubt they would be chasing this hard if they thought they didn’t have the assets to.

Their future first and future second would be all they can offer. Sounds like Hawks are offering pick 8 & future second. Dogs say no to pies and yes to Hawks. Obviously things can change, but as it stands there’s no way pies can get him.

Their future first and future second would be all they can offer. Sounds like Hawks are offering pick 8 & future second. Dogs say no to pies and yes to Hawks. Obviously things can change, but as it stands there’s no way pies can get him.
That is just not how it works.

That actually seems like win win for everybody.

GC probably gets a pick before their academy kid.
Bulldogs get access to a first rounder + cash to keep English.
Hawks get Baz and hopefully a tall later in the draft.
Just have convince Baz that Hawtorn is his destination.

If Pies want him that bad they would need to do a trade to bring in more picks, as future first and second wouldn’t be close.
It's about right in my eyes. Worth about a pick in the 12-15 range and he is out of contract (so maybe a little less then that). But I can understand Dogs thinking he is worth more.
I had a small go at supporters on our board thinking he was worth a 2nd rounder or at best a very late 1st.

It's about right in my eyes. Worth about a pick in the 12-15 range and he is out of contract (so maybe a little less then that). But I can understand Dogs thinking he is worth more.
I had a small go at supporters on our board thinking he was worth a 2nd rounder or at best a very late 1st.

It’d be right if it were hawks f1 & f2.

But Pies f1 will probably be 20+ after all the father son and academy bids.

Hawks pick 8 this year and future 2nd is right imo. At his peak he is worth way more, but due to his ACL and off field issues his value drops a bit.

Don’t forget how good he was in 2021 & 2022. One of if not the best young mid in the comp. Second in the Gary Aryes award.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back