Universal Love Barra Leads Freo to the Win over WB

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Nyhuis' game. He brings physicality to the contest and not much gets past him. Very desperate in every situation.
The Dogs brought their game tonight, it was handball city out there (they are very good at it), we just seemed to soak it up and let our backline handle it and then rebound.
Whoever 'shut down' Macrae tonight did a great job, didn't really see him in any dangerous spots.

- Hughes’ best game for the club.
- Nyhuis was outstanding.
- Hamling didn’t lose a contest and the backline looks well settled.
- Matera showing what he can do playing as a permanent small forward. Got a fair few cheapies out the back but that’s his role.
- Barra outstanding and was a typical Mundy game.
- AB did some nice work in the contests.
- WTF has happened to Cerra? He’s been caught a lot this season and some of his kicking off his left boot has been poor.
- Switta’s pressure
- Ed’s kicking was appalling
- Wilson’s best game of the season so far
- Hogan and Tabs need more goal kicking practice
- Blakely needs to come in to win some more clearances.
Can't disagree with much of this.
A great game though. We'll learn a lot from this . We've been challenged each game and stood up more often than not. Fantastic effort by the lads and Ross.

Was a tough game, Freo having the better forward line was the difference.

Not sure the midfield got smashed, statistically certainly not, tho I think our mids kicked poorly at times.

Really feel like I don’t know where the team sits still, could get belted by the crows or belt them, hard to say.

Good to win with the key forwards playing relatively poorly, especially inside 50, and to score pretty well.

So many positives to take away from this game. To score 88 when your tall forwards are having an off night is huge. If Hogan kicks straight and Tabs snags a couple more contested marks, the game isn't even close. Hogan takes the defensive pressure off the other forwards which allows switta and Matera to crumb nicely. Myhouse and Hamling were excellent tonight. Our defense was huge. Great win.

Did we hit the post at least 3-4 times tonight? Regardless, we kick half of those gettable set shots and we wouldn’t have been biting our nails at the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win for Barra tonight - the atmosphere at the ground was electric ⚡

Defense is so good, Hughes has turned me, Nyhuis was amazing, Ryan Hamling and AP just continue to get it done.

Dardy and Tabs weren’t at their best but other forwards stood up and the great man himself Mundy converted two clutch goals to help out.

Their mids were great, they were generally up for this contest as a team and made it harder than the game looked coming into it. Credit to the dogs but credit to us for sticking it out and like Fyfe said post match grinding out the win.

Good signs for this young and rapidly maturing group.

So bizarre when there was a ginger person directly in front of them, part of me thinks it was intentional

It probably was. They may lack something in thier lives and do these things to give them some jollys. They sound like tools who couldn't go and enjoy a great game of footy.

Last edited:
I thought Tabs worked hard to work into the game and hav e an impact in the last, good sign. Hogans kicking for goal was woeful, McCarthy was either still sick and should not have played, or should be dropped for Cox. Poor efforts. Nyhuis is a big game player, one of my favorites.

good competitive game from both clubs. I think a key difference was our small forwards - Matera 5 goals with real opportunistic play, Swittas pressure was very influential and is showing alot and Walters keeps hitting the scoreboard and is all class. Probably the main worry upfront is the finishing of Tabs and Hogan. They are not good kicks technically and I think we should not expect it to improve but hopefully they have more good than bad. Their work rate was excellent while McCarthy looked rusty but his kicking has been at a high level this year. Defensively we are looking very good. Hopefully injuries dont rear their ugly head and we can keep that momentum going. The midfield was solid and has excellent run on the outside with Hill and Langdon. My main concern is an eventual injury to Lobb. If he keeps predominantly solo rucking his history says he is going to break down. Hope not. anyhow a pleasing effort , especially following the great away win last week. funny we could be undefeated with those chances against Gold Coast and West Coast. anyhow, in the previous two years we have started reasonably well to be roughly 6-6 at the half way mark and then faded when injury and the long season caught up with the smaller bodies. Hoping our staying power may have us challenging for the 8. probably optimistic but would be good to go for around 11 wins. Also the skill level dropped tonight as the game went on, surface seems dewy and made handling a slippery challenge. was noticeable in the last quarter

First game I went to at the stadium, was exactly as I hoped,close until the 4th then we kicked away.

Dogs seemed to have a lot of control in the midfield and half back, lots of winning stoppages and clearances , was a real concern.

Tall forwards not happening all night but didn't matter.

Felt like slow movement and hesitation getting the ball into our 50 cost us some goals as a allowed WB to setup, some good space and leads wasted.

One that stood out was a player alone out on a lead to goals and instead ball is kicked shallower to a 2 on 2 .

Might need to re-watch the game to see the close stuff you miss live.

Great for Mundy to get the win and a couple of important goals.

Thought we played a slower game style than normal this year. Played a possession game but not sure why ??? (Weve barely switched all year) It seemed like it took forever to get going and it wasnt till mundy kicked a couple that we took control.
The dogs were clean around the contest and moved the ball a lot quicker than us they just didnt have the dangerous forwards to kick to.
It was a good contest which the group would of taken a lot out of. The best teams dont go flat out all the time its a long season.
Bring on next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back