Food, Drink & Dining Out Beer - what popular beer won't you drink? (If you want to talk Cider, please post on Mammamia)

Remove this Banner Ad

Short of being at a pub, they're the best pres! Beers, footy on tv, controlling your own music. That's the best part of the night.
Mario kart with ladies and some pres are pretty good.

Except for the odd time where you dont actually go out and get s**t faced, but it does save money.

Even better stuck in the cupboard for a couple of years
One of the higher ups at coopers said during tastings that the suggested way to enjoy the extra stout was to buy a carton and drink one a month for the next two years. Guessing that would apply for the vintage ale as well.

Drinking a 2016 Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale right now, and it's going down a treat. At 7.5% ABV, it's not a session beer, but a couple of them is very warming on a night like this.

Drank a six pack once - twas not Sir James Sober.

Pirate Life IIPA is awesome, as is most of their range.

Ballast Point Big Eye and Sculpin are also two beauties.

MB
Carlton dry fusion Lemon/lime
Lived in SA for a year and West End and coopers the green one is foul. The red labelled coopers is awesome at room temp (discovered this by accident) but when cold it is also not well.

TEDs, Carlton Cold, Hahn SuperDry, Pure Blonde and Heineken are the main ones I avoid.

Most sessional beers like VB, Export and Carlton Draught I will drink despite them not being favourites.

Corona's I don't like, but I can drink when on offer. Agree with the general feeling about adding fruit to beer, with the exception of Redback.

I've seen a few mentions of Emu Bitter which I find surprising. I find it really inoffensive, you get a bitter hit and then all the taste practically disappears before you've finished swallowing - no lingering taste whatsoever. Drinkable, but not really enjoyable - I wouldn't put it in the "I won't touch it category" which should be reserved for the putrid ones.

Fat yak is an interesting one that i have come across. I didn't mind it. Really enjoy carlton now too. Think I've mentioned my liking of peroni and stella elsewhere and have gone off corona a little bit because of this. Only one of my mates likes beer and most youths nowadays mention their dislike of it when I'm at parties drinking it. I guess they prefer something more exotic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me, Fat Yak slides into "too expensive to be sessional" and "not interesting or nice enough for the price".

I'm the same boat with it now. When it was around $45 for a carton though i enjoyed it regularly.

A marketing/advertising trend that annoys is hamming up how old the beer/brewery is, complete with picture of olden days man with giant beard.

Slightly off topic but I have to throw a tip in here. For those not so much into IPA's and even those that are.

Wet your palate with 1-2 Coopers Extra Stouts(or other Stout) before having an IPA. Goes down brilliantly. Let me know if you disagree once tried.

Best beer promo merch I ever had was a coopers fingerless glove/stubby holder hybrid. I wore it every time there was a chance booze would be drank. I was like an alcoholic Luke Skywalker. It has since been lost, just like Luke Skywalker lost his own glove. I would most definitely purchase another carton of coopers to get one of those again.

Fat yak is an interesting one that i have come across. I didn't mind it. Really enjoy carlton now too. Think I've mentioned my liking of peroni and stella elsewhere and have gone off corona a little bit because of this. Only one of my mates likes beer and most youths nowadays mention their dislike of it when I'm at parties drinking it. I guess they prefer something more exotic
When I first started drinking I had Fat Yak a couple of times with it well and truly being a mainstream beer by then. Like 50 Lashes by James Squire it seems to be marketed as a really interesting craft beer, when really it's just another a bland mainstream beer now greatly overpriced. Not that there's anything wrong with mainstream beers but it just seems to be such a nothing beer to me. Drinkable but nothing special about it. As I tried more and more beers and then had one at a later date I realised it wasn't much at all.

Now that it seems to be up past 50 bucks a slab which surprises me as I work in liquor and barely even noticed the price change over the past two years, you wouldn't bother with it. Would rather pay the extra ten for Little Creatures or 10 less for Coopers or Carlton Draught.

I'm also one that has come to enjoy Carlton. Drinking it warm as a 16 year old the first time I ever drank grog left me scarred for a while, but I've finally grown to enjoy the taste, particularly at a local on tap. Great for a session, the price is just a pain.

Never understood the Peroni or Stella love in this country, real ordinary domestic produced rubbish. Corona is just horrific. Forgot why I disliked the beer so much. Had one at a bar the other week because the choices were so limited and it was horrendous. The taste is just a whole lot of nothing and the lemon did nothing to help at all. Marketers should be doing whatever the hell Corona does because it's created a beer giant in this country that revolves around nothing more than an image. You either drink it to look trendy or you're one of the unfortunate blokes born with real shitty taste if you're buying slabs of it regularly.

I'm convinced its the lemon/lime appeal. Pop a bit of fruit in your drink to look trendy. Feel like you have power by customising your beer.

Last time I had a corona I packed it with so much lime I may as well have been drinking a Miller Chill. It would have tasted better anyway.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Akasha Korben DIPA. Best beer i have ever had.

Watched the Cats Hawks game and see there's a Carlton Pale Ale now.

Anyone want to fill me in on how s**t it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back