Benaud Qadir Trophy 2nd Test Pakistan v Australia @ Karachi March 12-16

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For starters I think we can all agree in hoping that this Test isn't played on a pitch that resembles me driveway. Given that though, it's hard to draw too much from the match other than bowling on those sort of wickets isn't a lot of fun. Mitch Swepson is coming in for us, with Hazelwood missing out unluckily and probably for no better reason than he's a right armer. Pakistan will likely include Faheem Ashraf and Hasan Ali in their XI. The weather in Karachi also look like it won't be a factor as it was in Rawalpindi.
Pakistan (probable) 1 Abdullah Shafique, 2 Imam-ul-Haq, 3 Azhar Ali, 4 Babar Azam (capt), 5 Fawad Alam, 6 Mohammad Rizwan (wk), 7 Faheem Ashraf, 8 Nauman Ali, 9 Sajid Khan, 10 Hasan Ali, 11 Shaheen Shah Afridi
Australia 1 David Warner, 2 Usman Khawaja, 3 Marnus Labuschagne, 4 Steven Smith, 5 Travis Head, 6 Cameron Green, 7 Alex Carey (wk), 8 Mitchell Starc, 9 Pat Cummins (capt), 10 Mitchell Swepson, 11 Nathan Lyon

Was pumped for this series, but after the abomination that was the first test, I'm a bit apprehensive now, just hoping it's a good deck with some life in it. Looking forward to seeing Sweppo bowl, Warnie would've loved seeing him get selected, here's hoping he does well.

I really don't get Starc selection, his good at home on our tracks but his border line useless over seas.

I guess the theory is, to get 20 wickets it might need Starc's unpredictability to unpredictably work for him if it turns out to be another road. The wickets will only come for quicks with mistakes, or the new ball swinging. That might be preferred over Hazelwood's reliability without the occasional burst. Starc is more likely to go 0/150, but also more likely to knock over half a line-up in a spell in the 40 minutes or so the ball might suit.

Flat pitches like the last one, and useless for pace like India will provide, are the reason Pattinson's retirement is unfortunate. He is perhaps the one quick who might work the ball enough to get something out of dead tracks.

With Swepson playing, I presume Head will be main part-timer. It won't make much sense to bowl Lab and Smith as leg-spinners, may as well bowl the finger spinner even if he dopes turn it the same way if he turns it.

Like everyone I hope for a fair contest between bat and ball.

The one great feature of T1 was the crowd. I hope Karachi turn on the same level of support.

Will be interesting to see how Lyon responds to the Swepson selection. IMO Lyon needs a couple of good games.

It is of course poignant to see a leggie make his debut in this of all weeks.

I hope Carey is a little sharper than T1.

Shane Warne was right about Mitchell Starc.

tbh he was, back when he first gave it to him when Starc first come onto the scene Starc had zero emotions and was just going through the motions, you could have been forgiven of thinking Starc had severe autism and Starc had a little sook and it all stemmed from there.

I guess the theory is, to get 20 wickets it might need Starc's unpredictability to unpredictably work for him if it turns out to be another road. The wickets will only come for quicks with mistakes, or the new ball swinging. That might be preferred over Hazelwood's reliability without the occasional burst. Starc is more likely to go 0/150, but also more likely to knock over half a line-up in a spell in the 40 minutes or so the ball might suit.

Flat pitches like the last one, and useless for pace like India will provide, are the reason Pattinson's retirement is unfortunate. He is perhaps the one quick who might work the ball enough to get something out of dead tracks.

With Swepson playing, I presume Head will be main part-timer. It won't make much sense to bowl Lab and Smith as leg-spinners, may as well bowl the finger spinner even if he dopes turn it the same way if he turns it.

Plus left arm, plus footmarks. But it is a little confounding to see someone selected on the basis of theory over a bowler who is clearly better - and bowled a lot better than Starc in the last game. Oh well, looking forward to today!

tbh he was, back when he first gave it to him when Starc first come onto the scene Starc had zero emotions and was just going through the motions, you could have been forgiven of thinking Starc had severe autism and Starc had a little sook and it all stemmed from there.

Paine spoiled him in the same way as Waugh spoiled Bung Lee. New ball and then come back for cheapies bullying the tail.

Though the Poms were sub standard I thought he bowled with more intelligence and discipline, including during the middle of the innings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This pitch should have more life in it than the first test pitch, after the outcry about the road in Rawalpindi there will be pressure on to liven this one up.

It will be good to see Swepson in action, he's no Warnie but watching him bowl leg spin will be more interesting than watching Lyon bowl his dull offies.

Head doesn't have a doosra, I wouldn't think?

Really pumped to see Swepson get a crack. Could be a key missing piece in this team's chances in the subcontinent. Hope he comes good. Also hope people don't write him off early, he's got a comparable (in fact slightly better) domestic record than Lyon.

I would have gone with Hazlewood over Starc, but I get why they've gone with Starc, given we now have 2 spinners we need to bring into the game.

Really pumped to see Swepson get a crack. Could be a key missing piece in this team's chances in the subcontinent. Hope he comes good. Also hope people don't write him off early, he's got a comparable (in fact slightly better) domestic record than Lyon.

I would have gone with Hazlewood over Starc, but I get why they've gone with Starc, given we now have 2 spinners we need to bring into the game.
I give him 2 overs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back