Best 22 for the start of 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next couple of weeks before Xmas. I'm up to Sydney so here's my crack at your best 22. Appreciate any feedback

FB: Dane Rampe ~ Heath Grundy ~ Nick Smith
HB: Callum Mills ~ Allir Allir ~ Jarrad McVeigh

CENTRE: Isaac Heeney ~ Josh Kennedy ~ Kieran Jack
FOLL: Sam Naismith ~ Luke Parker ~ Dan Hannebery

HF: Gary Rohan ~ Sam Reid ~ George Hewett/ Jake Lloyd (defensive h/f) OR James Rose (attacking h/f)
FF: Tom Papley ~ Kurt Tippett ~ Lance Franklin

INT: Harry Cunningham ~ Zak Jones ~ 2 of Hewett, Lloyd and Rose

I'll begin with the full back line. Strong line there with good experience and leadership. Rampe is a very effective under-sized third tall defender and is a more attacking option than Laidler. The ideal situation for player and team is a fully fit and firing Alex Johnson back into the 22, possibly McVeigh loses his back 6 six role and Rampe becomes a purely attacking defender, setting up play off HB.

Grundy isn't the most offensively effective player in the team but in the greater scheme of things he is arguably the most valuable as the go to key defender allowing Melican and to a lesser extent Maibaum initially the opportunity to test themselves more at NEAFL level.

Smith i don't need to add much on. Renowned as one of the best small defenders in the comp, rarely beaten but outside of NSW he is shockingly under rated.

Mills had a terrific first season and adjusted from juniors/NEAFL to AFL with ease finding a role for himself off HB before no doubt becoming a permanent midfield fixture in the future.

Allir was a revelation down back until his year ended prematurely in the prelim final. Debuted early in the year and was a regular in the 22 from that point. Important tall defender post Grundy and Ted Richards but whether he is better as a KPD or a more attacking third tall can still be found out.

For the start of 2017 McVeigh has the credits in the bank but think over the course of the year it'd be more beneficial to see his place in the 18 being taken by Zak Jones. Still offers plenty of leadership and experience to the team and can lead a relatively inexperienced second tier midfield with a calm head and heading the culture of the Swans.

Heeney's next move is to the midfield, no doubt about that especially with the loss of Tom Mitchell. Has completed his apprenticeship as more of a medium sized forward but has all the traits and body size to become a starting midfielder in 2017.

Jack on the left footer's wingman brings some extra run and carry to the midfield and class by foot. With his pressure and ability to hit the scoreboard he can be an effective HF as well.

I'm a big fan of the way that Kennedy controls the midfield. Was a clear best on ground for the Swans in the Grand Final and when the Swans needed someone to stand up it was largely Kennedy that delivered. A real warrior in the midfield and will thrive under the new captaincy role.

Parker like Kennedy I've always rated highly, even in his draft year 2010 I was surprised with how late he was drafted. Suits the Swans style of game to a tee and for me I was surprised to not see him named the new captain. Next in lone to Kennedy surely.

With his gut running Hannebery compliments the hardness of Parker and Kennedy well. Knows how to win the ball inside and outside and along with Parker, Mills and Heeney in particular will form an elite midfield, as much as I hate to use that word I think thats the best work to describe it.

Naismith tracked very well over the 2016 season and is deserving of a lead ruck role in 2017. For a guy with less games experience than some more experienced team mates I thought he performed well in the GF and wasn't overawed by the occasion. Key for him now is to keep tracking upward and be a more more damaging player deep forward.

Can imagine Rohan would be a frustrating player to support. When his on he can change the nature of a game in a quick burst but when his not "on" he can be a liability. All the talent in the world just the application can go missing, often with longer term injuries to which can't be helped but needs to continue to work on getting the consistency between his best and worst to a lesser margin of error.

Also an injury plagued player a fit Sam Reid is so important to the tall forward structure with Franklin and Tippett because he is a different type of tall forward to them. At his best is a very capable CHF/ HF if Franklin is at CHF in my opinion and straightens the Swans up looking inside 50. I know it's over 4 years ago now but it's a game I've watched numerous times before and his ability to play his role in the 2012 GF was very good. Not amongst the best for the Swans but like I said before straightened them up and kicked a big, team lifting goal from a fast defensive transition in the 2nd quarter when the Swans had a lot of the momentum.

Papley was a surprise packet to outsiders in 2016 but I think it was clear within the Swans four walls that he was a talented small forward and had the support and backing at selection from his big forwards already before Round 1 Think the story goes that Buddy as a leader within the club and forward line said that "he wanted him (Papley) playing alongside me."

Tippett is a little bit like Rohan where the difference between his on and off days are noticeable. The gap is not as wide as it is for Rohan but still does go missing when his team needs him. Became more of a ruck/ forward after Pyke's retirement before season 2016 and handles the role well enough without starring as a ruckman.

Don't need to add much on Franklin expect that from an outsider perspective it was great to see him back in 2016 after he was sorely missed in the 2015 finals, especially when Reid went down against Freo as well. Was unfairly criticized by opposition supporters for being part of another losing GF side and not contributing enough but the facts are he was hampered with injury and the team defence game of the Bulldogs was very strong. They helped out Hamling whenever they could by filling gaps or creating extra numbers at contests.

The other HF spot is up for grabs. Lloyd and Hewett are defensively strong players that can keep the ball locked inside 50 or do you go the attacking option in Rose who with some added size to his body and the ability to draw at most a 4th defender. Rose is a promising player of the future who may should see some extra midfield/w wing time as well however if Will Hayward has a strong pre season and begins the season well with 2's he could be a bolter for Rose's spot in the 22.

Lloyd and Hewett were both regular best 22 members in 2016 and offer some versatility in what and where they play.

Cunningham is one of a few Swans with genuine leg speed which is where he needs to play a role in my opinion. Swans were hurt by the Bulldogs outside speed and smarts on GF day and actively sought Oli Florent from Sandingham and to a lesser extent Hayward at the draft because of this. Albeit lighter bodied if he can have a good pre season I wouldn't be surprised to see Florent push for selection early because of that need for leg speed and class on the outside.

Zak Jones I mentioned before when talking about McVveigh. I'd love to see him regularly off that HB during 2017, maybe even from Round 1. Uses his strengths to run and carry the ball well and is as good as a lock in 2017 in my opinion.

Moving on to the recent draft and I think with the 4 draftees Hayward, Florent, Maibaum and Cameron its met some needs for the team and topped up in an area where they lost 3 rucks over the off season (including Galloway who was a long shot at best) by bringing in Cameron.

Although he showed his ability late in the year to hit the scoreboard Hayward was just as effective as a midfielder for North Adelaide and SA. Has some bulk to put on before getting a midfield look in at the Swans but if his hitting the scoreboard could put pressure on Rose along with Jordan Dawson.

Florent was a real needs based midfielder. Outside pace and class by foot - TICK. There was talk about him being a flight risk due to being away from his family ater losing his father during 2016 but the Swans did there due diligence pre draft and convinced him and his family that they were a good club to be drafted to albeit not in Victoria and that they would support him strongly off the field.

Maibaum is a strong defender who will slot into the NEAFL side with ease. For a teenager his a good size and defends very well. Whether he grows into a KPD at AFL level or becomes another third tall defender time will tell, the Swans have had great success with Grundy as a 192 cm defender, but to be a third tall defender he'll need to improve his attacking game.

Cameron is someone I got to track a little bit more in the WAFL in 2016 and can genuinely say he is now physically ready to be on an AFL list. Bypassed in multiple drafts since his draft year he is now a very imposing figure who rests forward effectively. Worked hard on his competitiveness, tap work and versatility and is ready to play AFL if required in 2017.

From the rookie draft Ben Ronke looks like a good selection. Even if elevated still has areas of improvement before gaining selection at AFL but his outside pace obviously caught the Swans eye.

When the Swans missed Luke Ryan at the National Draft I presume Fox was a plan B. Defender/ midfielder, ready to play if required and like Ronke has the speed the Swans are wanting.

Fisher's a local product gained under the Category B if i remember right. Uses the ball well by foot and seems to have time on his hands when he gets it, just needs to get it more.

Pink's a low risk, high reward type pick. Known as being the winning point kicker for Glenelg he'll compete hard but probably won't be a KPF at AFL level. If he can work on his endurance can become an effectively third tall like Lynch at the Crows.

Shaun Edwards was a surprise although rated by the Swans. Low risk, high reward and if he can take his opportunity and make the most of a 3rd chance on an AFL list than good for him and Sydney. Exciting player who again brings that outside speed and skill that the Swans have lacked and got shown up in both losing finals during the 2016 campaign. Make or break one year deal possibly.

Good luck in 2017, I've always had a soft spot for the Swans and wish you guys well. No doubt another finals series is on the cards next year and hopefully another flag before those upstarts from the Western Suburbs of Sydney :D
Mate that is a seriously good post. Observant and objective. Clearly a student of the game. While I love your observations I'm not so sure about a couple of your conclusions.
I watched Harry C running around in the NEAFL and he needs to be ridden hard to get him to go. Can be good but doesn't put in enough.
I'll be surprised if we use Macca off half back. He's a defensive liability and can't break lines. I think he will be fortunate to finish the season in the seniors.
Jones will be one of the first picked as he's good one on one and provides real breakout potential.
Horse loves Lloyd and he took a lot of the kickins this year. Not the greatest tackler but covers an awful lot of ground. The ballsy call for Horse will be to drop Macca and bring in Newman. BoG in the NEAFL GF by a mile after a very consistent year. Only now upgraded but must be close to best 22.
Reid will need time in the NEAFL to get his "footy legs" back, but will be a real upgrade if he comes good and can stay on the park (see 2012 GF).
I'll be surprised if we miss Titch all that much. Heeney, Hewett and Mills (let's see if he plays off HB or further up) should all improve and will be good midfielders, albeit 3 different styles.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Mate that is a seriously good post. Observant and objective. Clearly a student of the game. While I love your observations I'm not so sure about a couple of your conclusions.
I watched Harry C running around in the NEAFL and he needs to be ridden hard to get him to go. Can be good but doesn't put in enough.
I'll be surprised if we use Macca off half back. He's a defensive liability and can't break lines. I think he will be fortunate to finish the season in the seniors.
Jones will be one of the first picked as he's good one on one and provides real breakout potential.
Horse loves Lloyd and he took a lot of the kickins this year. Not the greatest tackler but covers an awful lot of ground. The ballsy call for Horse will be to drop Macca and bring in Newman. BoG in the NEAFL GF by a mile after a very consistent year. Only now upgraded but must be close to best 22.
Reid will need time in the NEAFL to get his "footy legs" back, but will be a real upgrade if he comes good and can stay on the park (see 2012 GF).
I'll be surprised if we miss Titch all that much. Heeney, Hewett and Mills (let's see if he plays off HB or further up) should all improve and will be good midfielders, albeit 3 different styles.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Totally agree on McVeigh Chris. He starts early in the year but if they can phase him out in 2017, similar to O'Keefe in 2014 it's a good thing.

Unfortunately I haven't seen much of Newman but from what I've read he is an ideal replacement and is similar to Rampe except with the opportunity to be more attacking?

Get your point on Cunningham as well. Is it a role where Jordan Foote could press for regular selection early? Quality endurance runner but that's what they said about Hiscox to. Now de-listed.

I am hopeful with AJ that he will be able to take part in the NAB Cup. Probably not realistic but it would be great to see him there.

AJ had the conventional surgery if I remember rightly. He had the surgery in July. That means that he won't be back until at least March in full training. In fact the recommended time is 12 months so that makes June. He is running at the moment but just light running. He is doing some light kicking, little didlies. But he probably won't up his program until given the go ahead by the surgeon which will most likely be after March. Would be lovely to see him run out there for a Reserves game in July but...

R:naismith parker hennebery B:Rampe aliir smith
Hb:mills Grundy jones
C:Heeney Kennedy Lloyd
Hf:Reid Franklin hayward
F:papley Tippett Rohan
Int: jack Marsh Hewitt Mcveigh
Xmas Dinner at the in laws has resulted in this best 22 whilst I keep my head down in the corner

Last edited:
Definitely think Will Hayward will play Seniors at some point in 2017, in the forward line somewhere.

Harry Cunningham and Dean Towers are going into make or break years. In the juniors, you can coast along on talent, but a league footballer needs to work harder, and going both ways. From the immortal words of Allan Jeans, are they prepared to 'pay the price'.

McVeigh, a tough decision may have to be made, they did it with ROK.

Aliir - CHB
Grundy - FB

Last edited:
Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next couple of weeks before Xmas. I'm up to Sydney so here's my crack at your best 22. Appreciate any feedback

FB: Dane Rampe ~ Heath Grundy ~ Nick Smith
HB: Callum Mills ~ Allir Allir ~ Jarrad McVeigh

CENTRE: Isaac Heeney ~ Josh Kennedy ~ Kieran Jack
FOLL: Sam Naismith ~ Luke Parker ~ Dan Hannebery

HF: Gary Rohan ~ Sam Reid ~ George Hewett/ Jake Lloyd (defensive h/f) OR James Rose (attacking h/f)
FF: Tom Papley ~ Kurt Tippett ~ Lance Franklin

INT: Harry Cunningham ~ Zak Jones ~ 2 of Hewett, Lloyd and Rose

I'll begin with the full back line. Strong line there with good experience and leadership. Rampe is a very effective under-sized third tall defender and is a more attacking option than Laidler. The ideal situation for player and team is a fully fit and firing Alex Johnson back into the 22, possibly McVeigh loses his back 6 six role and Rampe becomes a purely attacking defender, setting up play off HB.

Grundy isn't the most offensively effective player in the team but in the greater scheme of things he is arguably the most valuable as the go to key defender allowing Melican and to a lesser extent Maibaum initially the opportunity to test themselves more at NEAFL level.

Smith i don't need to add much on. Renowned as one of the best small defenders in the comp, rarely beaten but outside of NSW he is shockingly under rated.

Mills had a terrific first season and adjusted from juniors/NEAFL to AFL with ease finding a role for himself off HB before no doubt becoming a permanent midfield fixture in the future.

Allir was a revelation down back until his year ended prematurely in the prelim final. Debuted early in the year and was a regular in the 22 from that point. Important tall defender post Grundy and Ted Richards but whether he is better as a KPD or a more attacking third tall can still be found out.

For the start of 2017 McVeigh has the credits in the bank but think over the course of the year it'd be more beneficial to see his place in the 18 being taken by Zak Jones. Still offers plenty of leadership and experience to the team and can lead a relatively inexperienced second tier midfield with a calm head and heading the culture of the Swans.

Heeney's next move is to the midfield, no doubt about that especially with the loss of Tom Mitchell. Has completed his apprenticeship as more of a medium sized forward but has all the traits and body size to become a starting midfielder in 2017.

Jack on the left footer's wingman brings some extra run and carry to the midfield and class by foot. With his pressure and ability to hit the scoreboard he can be an effective HF as well.

I'm a big fan of the way that Kennedy controls the midfield. Was a clear best on ground for the Swans in the Grand Final and when the Swans needed someone to stand up it was largely Kennedy that delivered. A real warrior in the midfield and will thrive under the new captaincy role.

Parker like Kennedy I've always rated highly, even in his draft year 2010 I was surprised with how late he was drafted. Suits the Swans style of game to a tee and for me I was surprised to not see him named the new captain. Next in lone to Kennedy surely.

With his gut running Hannebery compliments the hardness of Parker and Kennedy well. Knows how to win the ball inside and outside and along with Parker, Mills and Heeney in particular will form an elite midfield, as much as I hate to use that word I think thats the best work to describe it.

Naismith tracked very well over the 2016 season and is deserving of a lead ruck role in 2017. For a guy with less games experience than some more experienced team mates I thought he performed well in the GF and wasn't overawed by the occasion. Key for him now is to keep tracking upward and be a more more damaging player deep forward.

Can imagine Rohan would be a frustrating player to support. When his on he can change the nature of a game in a quick burst but when his not "on" he can be a liability. All the talent in the world just the application can go missing, often with longer term injuries to which can't be helped but needs to continue to work on getting the consistency between his best and worst to a lesser margin of error.

Also an injury plagued player a fit Sam Reid is so important to the tall forward structure with Franklin and Tippett because he is a different type of tall forward to them. At his best is a very capable CHF/ HF if Franklin is at CHF in my opinion and straightens the Swans up looking inside 50. I know it's over 4 years ago now but it's a game I've watched numerous times before and his ability to play his role in the 2012 GF was very good. Not amongst the best for the Swans but like I said before straightened them up and kicked a big, team lifting goal from a fast defensive transition in the 2nd quarter when the Swans had a lot of the momentum.

Papley was a surprise packet to outsiders in 2016 but I think it was clear within the Swans four walls that he was a talented small forward and had the support and backing at selection from his big forwards already before Round 1 Think the story goes that Buddy as a leader within the club and forward line said that "he wanted him (Papley) playing alongside me."

Tippett is a little bit like Rohan where the difference between his on and off days are noticeable. The gap is not as wide as it is for Rohan but still does go missing when his team needs him. Became more of a ruck/ forward after Pyke's retirement before season 2016 and handles the role well enough without starring as a ruckman.

Don't need to add much on Franklin expect that from an outsider perspective it was great to see him back in 2016 after he was sorely missed in the 2015 finals, especially when Reid went down against Freo as well. Was unfairly criticized by opposition supporters for being part of another losing GF side and not contributing enough but the facts are he was hampered with injury and the team defence game of the Bulldogs was very strong. They helped out Hamling whenever they could by filling gaps or creating extra numbers at contests.

The other HF spot is up for grabs. Lloyd and Hewett are defensively strong players that can keep the ball locked inside 50 or do you go the attacking option in Rose who with some added size to his body and the ability to draw at most a 4th defender. Rose is a promising player of the future who may should see some extra midfield/w wing time as well however if Will Hayward has a strong pre season and begins the season well with 2's he could be a bolter for Rose's spot in the 22.

Lloyd and Hewett were both regular best 22 members in 2016 and offer some versatility in what and where they play.

Cunningham is one of a few Swans with genuine leg speed which is where he needs to play a role in my opinion. Swans were hurt by the Bulldogs outside speed and smarts on GF day and actively sought Oli Florent from Sandingham and to a lesser extent Hayward at the draft because of this. Albeit lighter bodied if he can have a good pre season I wouldn't be surprised to see Florent push for selection early because of that need for leg speed and class on the outside.

Zak Jones I mentioned before when talking about McVveigh. I'd love to see him regularly off that HB during 2017, maybe even from Round 1. Uses his strengths to run and carry the ball well and is as good as a lock in 2017 in my opinion.

Moving on to the recent draft and I think with the 4 draftees Hayward, Florent, Maibaum and Cameron its met some needs for the team and topped up in an area where they lost 3 rucks over the off season (including Galloway who was a long shot at best) by bringing in Cameron.

Although he showed his ability late in the year to hit the scoreboard Hayward was just as effective as a midfielder for North Adelaide and SA. Has some bulk to put on before getting a midfield look in at the Swans but if his hitting the scoreboard could put pressure on Rose along with Jordan Dawson.

Florent was a real needs based midfielder. Outside pace and class by foot - TICK. There was talk about him being a flight risk due to being away from his family ater losing his father during 2016 but the Swans did there due diligence pre draft and convinced him and his family that they were a good club to be drafted to albeit not in Victoria and that they would support him strongly off the field.

Maibaum is a strong defender who will slot into the NEAFL side with ease. For a teenager his a good size and defends very well. Whether he grows into a KPD at AFL level or becomes another third tall defender time will tell, the Swans have had great success with Grundy as a 192 cm defender, but to be a third tall defender he'll need to improve his attacking game.

Cameron is someone I got to track a little bit more in the WAFL in 2016 and can genuinely say he is now physically ready to be on an AFL list. Bypassed in multiple drafts since his draft year he is now a very imposing figure who rests forward effectively. Worked hard on his competitiveness, tap work and versatility and is ready to play AFL if required in 2017.

From the rookie draft Ben Ronke looks like a good selection. Even if elevated still has areas of improvement before gaining selection at AFL but his outside pace obviously caught the Swans eye.

When the Swans missed Luke Ryan at the National Draft I presume Fox was a plan B. Defender/ midfielder, ready to play if required and like Ronke has the speed the Swans are wanting.

Fisher's a local product gained under the Category B if i remember right. Uses the ball well by foot and seems to have time on his hands when he gets it, just needs to get it more.

Pink's a low risk, high reward type pick. Known as being the winning point kicker for Glenelg he'll compete hard but probably won't be a KPF at AFL level. If he can work on his endurance can become an effectively third tall like Lynch at the Crows.

Shaun Edwards was a surprise although rated by the Swans. Low risk, high reward and if he can take his opportunity and make the most of a 3rd chance on an AFL list than good for him and Sydney. Exciting player who again brings that outside speed and skill that the Swans have lacked and got shown up in both losing finals during the 2016 campaign. Make or break one year deal possibly.

Good luck in 2017, I've always had a soft spot for the Swans and wish you guys well. No doubt another finals series is on the cards next year and hopefully another flag before those upstarts from the Western Suburbs of Sydney :D

You know stuff don't you....?

Great breakdown. My only comment (and you did touch on it) is McVeigh. IMO he won't get a game this year. As good as he was and for all the maturity and clamness he brings I just don't see where that outweighs the other things. His kicking is getting weaker and the injuries are sapping any speed he had. As it stands he sits along a line with Aliir Aliir and Callum Mills - I doubt you could find any 2 young AFL players who are any clamer under pressure than them.

If you were to spot Jones (who is still youngish) next to them I'm not sure I see the pressing need for McVeigh - 3 young but fairly mature players. Push comes to shove and the line is getting pressed then you shift Rampe up there. McVeigh only really holds value on the HB line if Newman is brought in or Rohan is re-tried there and then it should only be for a few games.

Obviously, the dream scenario is AJ comes back and Rampe moves to the HB flank. Newman locks down the other HB flank and Mills or Jones moves to the wing. We're a bit lucky with our depth it must be said!

You know stuff don't you....?

Great breakdown. My only comment (and you did touch on it) is McVeigh. IMO he won't get a game this year. As good as he was and for all the maturity and clamness he brings I just don't see where that outweighs the other things. His kicking is getting weaker and the injuries are sapping any speed he had. As it stands he sits along a line with Aliir Aliir and Callum Mills - I doubt you could find any 2 young AFL players who are any clamer under pressure than them.

If you were to spot Jones (who is still youngish) next to them I'm not sure I see the pressing need for McVeigh - 3 young but fairly mature players. Push comes to shove and the line is getting pressed then you shift Rampe up there. McVeigh only really holds value on the HB line if Newman is brought in or Rohan is re-tried there and then it should only be for a few games.

Obviously, the dream scenario is AJ comes back and Rampe moves to the HB flank. Newman locks down the other HB flank and Mills or Jones moves to the wing. We're a bit lucky with our depth it must be said!

Didn't realise clams were such an admirable trait to have in athletes.

keep-clam-carry-on.jpg

Please tell me I'm not the only one who wants to insert a very inappropriate comment here....

The hairy clam is my fav place to eat out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker coming off a PCL injury is by no means a certain starter.

Parker joins the main group after the break. So not much delay for him. Paps is the late one. he won't be training with the main group until mid January/Early February.

Sam Reid looks really good and fit. He moved really well and marked well even against Reg, Talia & Maibaum. Maibaum is very interesting as he has the body for the job but is not a very attacking back. Missing Aliir.

Agree with what your mates are saying.

I was away from Perth in 2014 and 2015 so can't comment on the progression from recent years but getting a gauge from watching footage and reading draft profiles he has definitely found that consistentency which was evidently lacking before.

Like most under developed rucks/ KPP's the difference between his best and worst form was evident but was far more effective as a forward in 2016.

Surprisingly enough for his size he was named CHF in the WAFL Team of the Year but I think that was more trying to fit him as the second ruckman rather than him being a CHF long term.

You've genuinely got a ripper there. Fingers crossed he can put some pressure on Tippett.

Can I say that Lloyd will always walk into our side. He is a wonderful young player. He averages 26 disposals in 2016. The quiet achiever I call him. The other name for him is 'The Assassin' because if you don't pay attention to him he will annihilate you. He controls all the play from the HB line. He will be joined by Newman next season.

Newman will play back flank next year and McVeigh is not guaranteed a game. He has been upgraded from the Rookie list to play the HB distributor role a bit like Brent Guiera.

Cameron may come into the equation if we have a few injuries.

Expect to see Mills more in the mids next season. Jones will play HB but will also tag in the mids when needed. Apparently there is one player he is keen to even the score with.

dawson, Rose, Hayward etc might play, in fact I think they will all play as well as Towers. People have alluded to Hayward being a bit skinny yet. Not so. I saw him train just before the break. That boy is all muscle, not much weight but all strength. You don't need bulk if you are as hard as steel. That he is.
I will make the prediction now he will play seniors next year. This is a kid that kicks 4 goals in a SANFL U19 GF. It wasn't his fault Toby Pink won it for the opposition. Mind you Toby is now a Swans player too. About young Pink. He is a little tentative at this stage but I think the kid will make it. He is 193cm & still growing, has a huge leg on him, can tackle like a banshee, is a very good field kick and can take a screamer in a pack. What more do you want Buddy's understudy to do?

Totally agree on McVeigh Chris. He starts early in the year but if they can phase him out in 2017, similar to O'Keefe in 2014 it's a good thing.

Unfortunately I haven't seen much of Newman but from what I've read he is an ideal replacement and is similar to Rampe except with the opportunity to be more attacking?

Get your point on Cunningham as well. Is it a role where Jordan Foote could press for regular selection early? Quality endurance runner but that's what they said about Hiscox to. Now de-listed.

Newman is an elite kick. Not like Rampe more a HB who gets the ball over his opponent and delivers, directs and controls play. More a Lloyd with defensive smarts and more weight.

Foote has what it takes, he is hard and is a particular project of Brett Kirk. take it from me he will be up and about.

Definitely think Will Hayward will play Seniors at some point in 2017, in the forward line somewhere.

Harry Cunningham and Dean Towers are going into make or break years. In the juniors, you can coast along on talent, but a league footballer needs to work harder, and going both ways. From the immortal words of Allan Jeans, are they prepared to 'pay the price'.

McVeigh, a tough decision may have to be made, they did it with ROK.

Aliir - CHB
Grundy - FB

After seeing Hayward running laps at the last training session i have no doubt he can play seniors. Young Ollie is still a little light but Hayward is not. He is a veritable explosion of hard as steel muscle. There isn't any part of his flesh that isn't muscle except his head which seems to be quite intelligent from what he says, definitely no muscle brain. this boy can seriously play, in the same vein as Luke Bruest.

Been away for Xmas. Hiscox was an athlete we tried to turn into a footballer as a project. Didn't work but.... Foote is definitely a footballer. All round mid with a good tank. At the moment I think he fits in top 30 but not quite best 22, but he could easily get games if there's an injury. Cunningham has so much talent but I really wonder if he has the mental strength and drive.
Newman doesn't play as tall as Rampe but is compact and reads the play really well. He was the main outlet for the ressies and accumulated a lot of quality possession. My guess is that he would come in and Mills play higher replacing Mitchell in number if not role. Heeney was already playing on the wing and I suspect that will continue.
Wolftone spot on.

Can I say that Lloyd will always walk into our side. He is a wonderful young player. He averages 26 disposals in 2016. The quiet achiever I call him. The other name for him is 'The Assassin' because if you don't pay attention to him he will annihilate you. He controls all the play from the HB line. He will be joined by Newman next season.

Newman will play back flank next year and McVeigh is not guaranteed a game. He has been upgraded from the Rookie list to play the HB distributor role a bit like Brent Guiera.

Cameron may come into the equation if we have a few injuries.

Expect to see Mills more in the mids next season. Jones will play HB but will also tag in the mids when needed. Apparently there is one player he is keen to even the score with.

dawson, Rose, Hayward etc might play, in fact I think they will all play as well as Towers. People have alluded to Hayward being a bit skinny yet. Not so. I saw him train just before the break. That boy is all muscle, not much weight but all strength. You don't need bulk if you are as hard as steel. That he is.
I will make the prediction now he will play seniors next year. This is a kid that kicks 4 goals in a SANFL U19 GF. It wasn't his fault Toby Pink won it for the opposition. Mind you Toby is now a Swans player too. About young Pink. He is a little tentative at this stage but I think the kid will make it. He is 193cm & still growing, has a huge leg on him, can tackle like a banshee, is a very good field kick and can take a screamer in a pack. What more do you want Buddy's understudy to do?

What's your take on Dawson mate? I'm keen to see him get some game time, I was impressed last nab cup. Seems he may be fighting for a spot with Hayward.

What's your take on Dawson mate? I'm keen to see him get some game time, I was impressed last nab cup. Seems he may be fighting for a spot with Hayward.

If he stays injury free and continues to develop he will be a very good player. He's that third tall type, the Gunston effect if you like. He is a huge kick and generally accurate for goal. I notice in the reserves if he gets a mark of free anywhere within 60-65 metres of goal his teammates automatically point to the goals. That is a huge weapon to have. He had a few injuries last season so he didn't really fit into a groove in any position. Played HF, wing, HB, on ball, FP and FF. I think this season he will be more settled. He looks super fit and really keen. I'd say we are looking to play this bloke as a third tall forward or a tall winger. He's very strong overhead and in the forward line offers very good leads and can easily take the ball overhead, he doesn't need to basket the ball. As a winger he will hurt opposition due to his being very strong overhead and having that huge kick.

Maybe this best 22 isn't for the start of the year, but this is what the team should work to have by the end of the year IMO.

Smith Talia Reid
Rampe Aliir Mills
Florent Kennedy Heeney
Lloyd Tippett Jack
Papley Franklin Hayward
Cameron Parker Hannebery
Jones Towers Newman McVeigh

I look at what Membrey is doing at the Saints. That's what Hayward can do IMO. He's built for AFL footy already and doesn't mind a mark. He's different to Rohan as he can actually perform that stay at home forward role, and hopefully stretch the opposing defence so forward entries aren't as limited.
Florent's pace and class makes him an auto selection IMO, and his selection rules out the need for Rohan who needs to shape up or get out. Hayward is a better mark and Florent a better user. Rohan needs to find a role for himself, and IMO ideally he'd be on the flanks with his pace and eye for goal.
I still value what McVeigh brings in terms of leadership and with the team gradually transitioning through most of the 2012 Premiership Team, I think he could still be really valuable next season. However, if Rohan can hit some form in the NEAFL(which shouldn't be hard) and force his way into the side, he'd take McVeigh's spot probably.

First post back for the new season. Was going to wait until after New Year but reading all of these posts got me excited about 2017 and beyond. We are in a very good place, ladies and gentlemen. Geez, we've got some elite players, fantastic depth and great young talent coming through. Can't wait until the first pre season game to see some of these young guys in action. He hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but don't forget we have young Sam Murray that is showing a lot of promise too. Leonardis might get a couple of games this year too.

Care to elaborate on the following Wolf tone?

Jones will play HB but will also tag in the mids when needed. Apparently there is one player he is keen to even the score with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back