Autopsy Best goals of the last decade (2010 to 2019).

Remove this Banner Ad

Noah Ryan

Blues are back baby!Read 'em and weep.
Dec 17, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
The Afl website put about 30 goals together on this video, for some reason it doesn't include Dom Sheed's goal.

My top 5 of these goals in the last ten years would be -
1.Eddie Betts pivot and left foot torpedo from the 50m boundary line.
2.Lance Franklin running and bouncing on left wing vs the Bombers.
3.Eddie Betts contested scramble near left 50m boundry ,takes posession and snaps from 40m.
4.Marcus Bontompelli beating 4 opponents near left boundary post and kicking over his head on an acute angle.
5.Garry Ablett 50m on right boundary at Kardinia Park for Gold Coast vs Geelong.

Apologies to Lance Franklin for not including his two 70m goals.

Best of the Decade: Incredible goals… https://www.afl.com.au/news/320606/watch-the-most-incredible-goals-of-the-decade

One of my favourite goals that doesn’t get the love is Fyfe soccer to himself and then snap on the non preferred vs West Coast. Another great Fyfe goal was vs the Cats when he slipped past four in a row to snap truly. His best was the best of the decade IMO.

The Afl website put about 30 goals together on this video, for some reason it doesn't include Dom Sheed's goal.

It's only in the top 30 due to context. Sure, it was a difficult shot but on a technical level it happens quite often in a season. In a Grand Final in the last two minutes to give his team the lead though? That's not going to be common.

• Banned
My number one here, unbelievable poise skill and imagination.

They did the Sheed goal in the match-winning goals video:

TBH the best goals of the decade video is pretty subjective. A lot of great goals in there, but no way have they captured every great goal.

Miracle on Grass being the last one in that was quite appropriate.

You have to take Eddie Betts' boundary goals at the Adelaide Oval with a grain of salt. The pockets there are very narrow, meaning that if you are standing on the boundary, there is actually quite a lot of room and goalface to work with. Compare that to the MCG which has extremely deep pockets. A goal from the boundary there (like Dusty's in the 2018 QF against Hawthorn) is a lot harder than what Betts does at the AO, simply because of the angle.

For me though one that doesn't get mentioned much is Shane Edwards' goal vs Brisbane when he grabbed the ball on the behind line and dodged 3 blokes with no space to work with before kicking the goal. It's in the posted video at 19.40. Crazy evasive skills.

Also Matt White's running goal vs us in 2014 is the best goal I have ever seen live, so damn fast.

You have to take Eddie Betts' boundary goals at the Adelaide Oval with a grain of salt. The pockets there are very narrow, meaning that if you are standing on the boundary, there is actually quite a lot of room and goalface to work with. Compare that to the MCG which has extremely deep pockets. A goal from the boundary there (like Dusty's in the 2018 QF against Hawthorn) is a lot harder than what Betts does at the AO, simply because of the angle.

For me though one that doesn't get mentioned much is Shane Edwards' goal vs Brisbane when he grabbed the ball on the behind line and dodged 3 blokes with no space to work with before kicking the goal. It's in the posted video at 19.40. Crazy evasive skills.

Also Matt White's running goal vs us in 2014 is the best goal I have ever seen live, so damn fast.
Matt White's goal was fantastic. I also liked Brent Harvey's running goal.

Eddies goal is the best in terms of degree of difficulty. My favourite is Franklins vs Essendon just because he did it twice in the same game. Legendary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a fan of Hodge's grand final checkside from the boundary.
Bont's goal was sublime - what was missed is he had just kicked a goal to draw the scores level, the epitome of winning the game off your own boot.
Dom Sheed super clutch goal is as good as the praise it gets, amazing moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back