Best Shirtfront You've Seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Byron cleaned up Biglands in a monster bump..... totally legit too....

Byron had many victims

Too bad we don't have this in the game anymore... however even Ice hockey has cleaned up their hitting too... i remember Konstatinov from the Redwings had some monster hits.... many of which would be penalized these days....

Call me soft but when I watch those "highlight" reels of bumps from the 80s it makes me feel sick. You have one guy going for the ball and another just lining them up and smashing straight into their head, I'm so glad it is stamped out of our game. However when people get suspended for going hard at a contest it frustrates me to no end! That's what it is about, going hard for the ball and if you collect someone on the way through so much the better!

Couglan on brown in tassie

Came off the line, and knocked himself out

Under current rules, despite being the victim, brown would have got weeks

Horrid match for the cogs, he came back on, only to do his knee when starting a lead

Call me soft but when I watch those "highlight" reels of bumps from the 80s it makes me feel sick. You have one guy going for the ball and another just lining them up and smashing straight into their head, I'm so glad it is stamped out of our game. However when people get suspended for going hard at a contest it frustrates me to no end! That's what it is about, going hard for the ball and if you collect someone on the way through so much the better!
Seeing a bump makes you feel sick??? Are you ******* kidding me? What the heck is wrong with the world these days?? heck!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

on a side note, it's kinda funny with a lot of the older bumps and the commentators are saying stuff like 'That was a hard bump, but it was fair and legal' - - meanwhile player has blood coming from the nose.... how exactly did they get a blood nose unless they were hit high?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couglan on brown in tassie

Came off the line, and knocked himself out

Under current rules, despite being the victim, brown would have got weeks

Horrid match for the cogs, he came back on, only to do his knee when starting a lead

Steve Wallis on Jobby Heady followed up by Daniel Soulthern attemping to assassinate Peter Sumich.
There's a good story behind this particular shirtfront. A year or so earlier, Heady ran rampant against the Dogs at Subiaco, tearing us a new one and kicking a big bag (might have even been 10 goals). After every goal he kicked, he got very lippy with his opponent, saying "that's 4", "that's 5", "that's 6" and so on. Wally went onto him for the last couple of goals that day and he continued the lip. So after he smashed Heady into next week in the corresponding fixture a year later, Wally leans over to him and casually says "that's 1". Then of course all hell broke loose.

Leigh Matthews on Andrew Ireland - I'm guessing around 1981. Brutal.
Dipper on Robbie Flower - 87 prelim. Shame to see such a great player go out in that manner but for once Dipper kept this one clean.
Rod Grinter on Chris Mew - same game. Perfect shirtfront. Split Mew straight down the middle and Hawthorn's premiership hopes went with it.
Lethal on Demetriou - 82 Qualifying final. Strangely enjoyable.

Matthews, Picket and Ablett have been the best exponents of the shirtfront that I've seen with Voss and a few others just behind. Let's hope it stays part of the game.
Yeah, I remember that Rod Grinter bump on Mews. Is there video footage of it going around?

I was at the Hawks v North game out at Waverley few years back. It was arctic freezing and drizzling so the majority of the crowd was up in the stand. My brother in law and I had umbrella's so decided to stay out in the open only a few rows back from the fence. The Pickett bump on Krummel happened right in front of us and will never forget that slapping/popping sound at impact!
Yeah Pickett was a weak sniper.

Dunno if this one has been mentioned before, but Woosha Worsfold against a rampaging Ablett in a SoO match from the early 90's. Ablett, as per usual, presented his elbow, yet Woosha managed to collect him with just about the fairest hip & shoulder you could imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back