Best teams you’ve seen

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t put an all rounder in the Australian side. McGrath, Warne, Lee, Johnson. More than enough.

Same with India. Sourav, VVS, Kohli.
An Indian side would pick two pacemen at most

not if they were playing in most other nations
And yes those players from Australia negate the need for an all rounder but that’s like slagging off Abdul Qadir because he wouldn’t make an 80s West Indian team. No he wouldn’t but that’s not a slight on his standing as a leg spinner

not if they were playing in most other nations
And yes those players from Australia negate the need for an all rounder but that’s like slagging off Abdul Qadir because he wouldn’t make an 80s West Indian team. No he wouldn’t but that’s not a slight on his standing as a leg spinner
Now it’s just getting silly. Any movable goal posts to justify things.
Aus from the late 90s to mid 00s didn’t need an all rounder a most of the time didn’t pick one.

Now it’s just getting silly. Any movable goal posts to justify things.
Aus from the late 90s to mid 00s didn’t need an all rounder a most of the time didn’t pick one.

no, but saying ‘so and so wouldn’t get a game’ implies that he’s a vastly inferior cricketer. Yes he is an inferior batsman to any of the Australians, and an inferior bowler. He is however the best - or vying with stokes at least - the best all rounder on the planet. So the implication - and irony in fact - that Holder is emblematic of the fall of West Indian cricket, is fairly harsh.

Shaun Pollock would probably miss out on an Aussie side from that era for the same reason - he’s not quite in the best 4 bowlers and certainly not in the best 6 batsmen. I don’t think it would be incorrect to say that overall he’d be in the best 6-7 cricketers from Australia in that period, though.

Shaun Pollock would probably miss out on an Aussie side from that era for the same reason - he’s not quite in the best 4 bowlers and certainly not in the best 6 batsmen. I don’t think it would be incorrect to say that overall he’d be in the best 6-7 cricketers from Australia in that period, though.
I'd have Pollock in that side every day of the week.

Vaughan
Strauss
Cook

Ellen
Nasser

I was there that day. My heart sank when it came over the speaker that Nasser won the toss before doing a spit-take when the announcer finished his sentence. Glorious day of cricket for the Australian fan: Hayden and Ponting at their most ruthless.

Pakistan

Saeed Anwar
Azhar Ali
Javed Miandad
Salim Malik - disgraced player I know but a jet
Inzamam
Younus Khan
Sarfraz Ahmed
Wasim Akram
Yasir Shah - nearly dropped him for Saqlain because of his lack of impact in Australia but shah’s overall excellence keeps him there for me
Waqar Younis
Mohamed Asif - again, disgraced, but I don’t know that I’ve seen a more accurate and canny bowler Philander aside.

Caveat - I didn’t see any of Imran aside from the 92 World Cup. I barely saw Javed but did see enough, if I had to I’d swap him out for Mo Yousuf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A
Zimbabwe - no doubt I'm forgetting a name or two.

Brendan Taylor
Murray Goodwin
Sean Williams
Grant Flower
Andy Flower
Craig Ervine
Tatenda Taibu (+)
Andy Blignaut
Heath Streak
Kyle Jarvis
Ray Price
Alistair Campbell, with Andy Flower taking the Gloves. Also Paul Strang as well.

The opposition would be lucky to last that.
oppo would be lucky to last 5 overs
I'm not casting aspersions.

Being too young to have watched any of their great era, I found a day of their cricket on a video website. I couldn't tell you who it was against, but they bowled an over over the course of about ten minutes. What bowling I saw looked great, but there were some real shenanigans about using impatience and time early in a Batsman's dig to get in their head to go with the intimidation.

Being too young to have watched any of their great era, I found a day of their cricket on a video website. I couldn't tell you who it was against, but they bowled an over over the course of about ten minutes. What bowling I saw looked great, but there were some real shenanigans about using impatience and time early in a Batsman's dig to get in their head to go with the intimidation.
All those bowlers were simply amazing. Unplayable almost.

It's the one real jab on that great side, their overrate was atrocious but then they usually didn't need that many to bowl a side out. The best West Indian side is fairly easy to pick for most of us, slot Lara in for Gomes from the mid 80s side and quibble over fast bowlers unless you were lucky enough to see Sobers or Wes Hall.

It's the one real jab on that great side, their overrate was atrocious but then they usually didn't need that many to bowl a side out. The best West Indian side is fairly easy to pick for most of us, slot Lara in for Gomes from the mid 80s side and quibble over fast bowlers unless you were lucky enough to see Sobers or Wes Hall.
Pretty much. Still the greatest side I've seen.

I'd still back the those golden era Australian sides with Warne in to beat them, they struggled against Border turning the ball away from the bat.
I wouldn't but that's my opinion.

Andy Roberts?
Only saw the end of his career.
There's so many great West Indian fast bowlers that you could throw a blanket over 7 or 8.

They still only lost 4 out of 23 tests in Asia between 1980 and 1996. They certainly weren’t at their strongest against the turning ball but that was probably more relative to their strength against Pace as much as anything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back