Best Tiger side in your lifetime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bro, you've raised many, many points of interest.

1. 1972 GF loss WAS devastating AT THE TIME. Winning the next 2 flags well and truly masked that pain.
2. Equaling the the previous highest GF score in the 1972 GF was of NO consolation when the opposition scored more.
3. Northey's loss set our club back 20 years. To not extend his contract for another year beyond 1996 was amateurish. Dumb run club!!
4. Mr Sheedy's main priority was Mr Sheedy. I love him for his commitment to our cause during his playing days, but the campaigner used his connection with the RFC and our ridiculous craving to have him back as leverage to extend his tenure at Essendon. In the end it came at a massive cost to Essendon who are yet to recover from extending his contract beyond 2004. F them!!
5. Where our club is now is not a result of the INS at the beginning of 2017. The roots lie a decade earlier with Gary March taking over a President. He is our unsung hero.
6. Put a few on ice, I've got a real good feeling we'll be celebrating at the end of September 2023.
The 37 year drought is just the way it is. Every poor decision by the club b/n 80 and 17 is just ugly fact that we have to deal with. Northey was a good player and coach. Sheedy was a great player, up there with the best of them.
His coaching career at EFC was good. They seemed to have more indig players than us. The dreamtime game. Good idea.
A big name in football so getting him involved at GWS...not a bad idea.
Not covering himself in glory at Essadon ATM. Thank goodness we don't need him anymore.

That's a great example of how difficult it is to compare players from different eras. Over time the players get taller, bigger, faster and in general have better skills, although kicking accuracy has not improved at all. The only true comparisons are against players of the same era. I suppose to compare players from different eras you can only compare their performance and standing from when they played.

So the question might be, who was more influential in their era, Hart or Lynch?
Definitely need a best team from era. 60s ~80s & 90s ~ present.

B Roger Dean. Alex Rance Kevin Sheedy
HB Bachar Houli J Jess Merv Keane
C Francis Bourke Dustin Martin Dick Clay
HF Bill Barrot Royce Hart M Rioli snr
F M Richardson Jack Riewoldt Dale Weightman
R M Green T Cotchin (capt) K Bartlett

ic G Raines I Stewart KLambert D Prestia (if fit)

lots new lots of unlucky to miss

B Roger Dean. Alex Rance Kevin Sheedy
HB Bachar Houli J Jess Merv Keane
C Francis Bourke Dustin Martin Dick Clay
HF Bill Barrot Royce Hart M Rioli snr
F M Richardson Jack Riewoldt Dale Weightman
R M Green T Cotchin (capt) K Bartlett

ic G Raines I Stewart KLambert D Prestia (if fit)

lots new lots of unlucky to miss
Good but swap Barrot and Martin?
IC bench is heavy on mids. In which case I'd add knights in light of 5 on the bench.

B-- Marty bolger---maurie sheehan--- Kevin O'Neil --
B- basil Mcormack-- Joe Murdoch-- Francis bourke
C- Allan geddes---- Billy barrot--Matthew Richardson
Hf- Kevin Bartlett--- Royce hart---Dustin Martin
Ff- dale weightman-- jack reiwoldt-- Michael roach
R-- Percy bentley--- jack dyer--- trent cotchin
Inter- Alex rance-- roy wright--- Nathan Brown
Bachar houli-- sub -- George Rudolph

Remove this Banner Ad

Back