Toast Bird of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't get too close to an emu - they're pretty vicious. They're aggression would make them a good emblem. They also run faster than Collingwood players. Rather than the Irish, we really should look at recruiting a few emus.

Gang gangs would also make a great emblem for a team sport. They arrive in a loud noisy pack and then run amok - Melbourne's second half could very well have been the work of a gang of gang gangs.

In terms of the commonality of blue wrens, have you never been to an urban park or garden- my research tells me they're common there? You can tell by the website name "backyard buddies" that this source is incredibly well fact checked and reliable, and it has been selected to be published on the internet after all:

Where are Superb Fairy-wrens found?

Superb Fairy-wrens are found in Tasmania and throughout eastern Australia to the south-eastern corner of South Australia.

Like most small birds, they can be found wherever there are dense shrubs and bushes. They are common in urban parks and gardens, and can be seen in small social groups of one dominant male and several females and young birds.
I have seen those fairy wrens but they are not ubiquitous creatures like magpies or others on the list. I would have liked to have seen a lot more love for the king parrots, the most trusting of birds, a joy to have perched on your arm sifting through the seed in your hand for the sesame seeds. I guess only those who live in certain environments get to interact with these birds.

Who gets close to an emu other than at a zoo? Besides, as they can't fly, they are not genuine bird of the year contenders. What is so special about blue wrens or gang gangs? You may have spent your childhood knee deep in them, but I imagine most of us rarely set eyes on either bird. Their voters can't all come from the part of the country in which you grew up. Do either species have sports' teams named after them? Can you see yourself in the stands yelling, 'Come on you fairies!'?
The next door neighbour has a pet emu named Edwina. Used to protect the sheep from foxes and the like. More of a dinosaur than a bird

I have seen those fairy wrens but they are not ubiquitous creatures like magpies or others on the list. I would have liked to have seen a lot more love for the king parrots, the most trusting of birds, a joy to have perched on your arm sifting through the seed in your hand for the sesame seeds. I guess only those who live in certain environments get to interact with these birds.

I don't really know King parrots. Like fairy wrens and gang gangs for you, they'd make my meh list.

Who gets close to an emu other than at a zoo?

I once lived in Northern Arizona - not too far from where our team used to go for their pre-season camps. One of my suppliers at work had four pet emus. One of his neighbours had pet wallabies.

How do they get hold of our prized fauna for pets over there?

I’ve got some vague memory of the wallabies escaping from a zoo and breeding out in the wild. I think that happened in France as well.

How-ever it happened originally, I got the impression it happened a long time ago, and that in there’d since become a small and niche market for them as pets.

Heck, some looney tune once kept a Bengal Tiger in his New York apartment. There’s all kinds of crazy s**t going down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ability of the Gang-gang cockatoo to count the numbers is legendary. They are innately political beasts, and they'll be hard to beat.

Magpies have accumulated some powerful voting blocs, but also some powerful enemies.

Arizonan property is absurdly cheap.

For good reason.

I love Arizona, the natural beauty is truly stunning. But it does lack some of the things we take for granted. Like water. And green grass.

There are some decent places to live - Tucson is really cool. Prescott is alright. Could imagine Flagstaff would be a reasonably fun place to go to college.

And there is some real shitholes too.

There was one village near me that looked like a set off an old western film. I assumed it was, but was told that no, it’s legit from frontier times, and it has just been frozen in time.

I do not get the appeal of Phoenix and its composite cities (Scottsdale, Gilbert, Sunrise, etc, etc). It’s a hot dust bowl.

For good reason.

I love Arizona, the natural beauty is truly stunning. But it does lack some of the things we take for granted. Like water. And green grass.

There are some decent places to live - Tucson is really cool. Prescott is alright. Could imagine Flagstaff would be a reasonably fun place to go to college.

There was one village near me that looked like a set off an old western film. I assumed it was, but was told that no, it’s legit from frontier times, and it has just been frozen in time.

I do not get the appeal of Phoenix and its composite cities (Scottsdale, Gilbert, Sunrise, etc, etc). It’s a hot dust bowl.
& most of the Saguaro Cactus is cactus.

& most of the Saguaro Cactus is cactus.

That’s a southern Arizona thing. It doesn’t grow above 3000ft.

Road Runner is basically set in Arizona. If you see a Saguaro Cactus then it’s in the south. If you see Wile-e-Cayote running off a cliff in the middle of nowhere, then that’s in the north.

For good reason.

Yeah, having been to Arizona too I definitely get where you're coming from. Amazing place in terms of scenery, but it's not rich with some things, as you mention.

I'd be able to offset my need for water with friendly pet wallabies

Yeah, having been to Arizona too I definitely get where you're coming from. Amazing place in terms of scenery, but it's not rich with some things, as you mention.

I'd be able to offset my need for water with friendly pet wallabies
I loved visiting Sedona.

That’s a southern Arizona thing. It doesn’t grow above 3000ft.

Road Runner is basically set in Arizona. If you see a Saguaro Cactus then it’s in the south. If you see Wile-e-Cayote running off a cliff in the middle of nowhere, then that’s in the north.
But it only takes the Roadrunner a split second to travel from the North to the South…so it’s all a blur.

+1

The Elote Cafe has the best Mexican food I’ve ever had. That whole Verde Valley region is pretty cool.

Did you get to Jerome?
Unfortunately not.
Was on another work junket, so every hour of every day was scheduled for us.
Will definitely head back there one day.

I’ve got a family of Brush Turkeys living in my backyard this year. Currently it’s one male and seven females. Their nest is like a two story condo.
Sounds like he gets nagged a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back