Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you, but....

If you worked at the club, what would you publish?

A) This season has gone to hell in a handbasket
B) Finally, we see a silver lining

???

No one is going to post A. No matter how honest and transparent you are.

Plus they are just giving us what we are desperate for... Some good news.
No one with a genuine interest is fooled by lies. Just list the injuries so we know where we stand.
it is what it is, and gives some young kids or fringe players a chance to step up.
This is not as obvious as a or b. List the injuries, perhaps provide a positive best case return and then mention who we are considering to replace the injured player.
The SOS news is good news surely. It's way better than a shoulder reco which is what I was anticipating. A month out is much better than the season out.
Agree, if it works... fingers crossed. Thank-you for changing your avatar. 👍

0-1 Cuners, Williams test 👍🏼
2-3 Newman, TDK, Carroll
3-4 Martin
4-5 JSOS
5-6 Kemp
ca 8 Fish
ca 12 Oscar
nfi Charlie
season Marchy

About 1/3 of best 22 there.

2-3 weeks to commence in the VFL on restricted minutes initially you’d think for Newman & TDK, hoping that Carroll is straight back to where he left off.
Byes in rounds 5 + 9 (same as AFL) & then 18.

Williams|Newman|martin and TDK are best 22 - the rest are just options / in development

there are decent alternatives to Jack and Martin and Newman and Williams already available - the only one that really hurts is TDK.

No excuses Teague.

Agree with this but constant injury (and re-injury) hurts development too. I'm not concerned about guys like Kemp because they should be playing, but because of what it'll mean for their long-term prospects if this keeps happening.

We already have Marchbank and Charlie with very high ceilings that will probably never be reached now, I don't want to see more added to that list. But how much of it is under any of our control? Maybe we're just great at picking injury-prone players.

there are replacements for Fisher in VFL right now.
there are replacements and maybe even better ones for Jack
Charlie and Machbank may as wel not be on the list as far as that goes - Marchbank is certianly ntoa walk up starting 22 player anyway.

every team has injuries - Carltonahsa whole bunch of young players with strong attributes that should be rotating through the AFL f they are in form and others are not. Teague has been too reluctant to do that- only injury has forced his very reluctant hand.
VFL games begin now for the first time since 2019, no more Northern Blues affiliation. Teague now has a viable option to rotate players between the 2 teams.

he goes for the knowns, even if operating below what many fans think is an acceptable standard.
Young players may not know the game plan etc (itself a knock on the coaching group) but at least should show a baseline of what we're already getting from say Dow last week.

it's clearly a considered approach, he did the same thing last season when some of our senior players were out on their feet and the season was still alive.

Agree - we will see how it plays out over the next 4 -6 games...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the unholy alliance a reference to people on this board or people in the club? Have seen it a couple times and have nfi what it refers to.

My understanding is that the unholy alliance consists of Liddle, Lloyd and someone else (? Teague, MLG, Agresta, Judd). That is, if it is indeed a trinity (as I have interpreted it to be).

Stay calm, neither has died, 7-8 weeks for Fish, round 12-13, it’s obviously not ideal but it’s not that bad either, SOS to miss a month, what did people expect? Again, its not much.

We have others returning the next game and over the next few weeks.

That is unless, the club is talking garbage.
I would be betting on ‘garbage’. We only need to look at the recent past to see they lie about every major injury.

I think it depends how you look at things. When things are glum, there’s worse to come.

Realistically, any footy out of Curnow this year was always going to be a bonus. Marchbank’s injury history says the same... it is a bonus when he plays. Posters on this thread knew we were short of KP depth. Nothing has changed on that score.

The rest of them? Well, for the first time in goodness knows how long, we are actually getting young players showing a little bit of form in the reserves. I’m not saying they’ve shown enough yet, but it sounds like Stocker, O’Brien, Ramsay, Durdin, Owies, and Honey have all shown at least glimpses. That’s more than last season, where Dow and O’Brien were last men standing when they were picked. Philp has just come back too, and Carroll has shown great signs for when he overcomes his injury. That’s a raft of guys in the midfield / hff group who have shown some potential and will be at least somewhat deserving of a call up if it happens. I think it’s been a while since we could say that.

The situation isn’t ideal, but it’s not a disaster.

What's being concealed, played down, who and by how much
Let me put it this way: the timelines for returns from impact or non-muscle injuries is far from an exact science.
For example, there’s fairly standard recovery times for hamstrings, calves, thighs etc depending on the grading.
Russell adds to this additional preparation dependent on the injury history of the player.
Makes good sense.
However for impact injuries, surgeries and stress injuries, players tend to recover at different rates and the variations can be significant.
There’s no doubt we’ve suffered significantly more of these type of injuries in the past two years and there are concerns internally that this is (without basis I should make clear) a reflection on Russell and the broader football leadership.
Therefore where the timing of return from injuries is uncertain, those without expertise are just as powerful a voice in determining how injuries are publicly communicated (both in the details of the injury itself and the number of matches a player is expected to miss).
The weekly injury report is preceded by a think tank which takes in multiple views (including non football staff) and consequences.
That’s why you get the ‘news’ story about Newman’s progress this week - it’s just about painting a public picture that our injury management is top shelf and that there’s positive news ahead. That type of info is not driven by Russell or Teague - it’s driven by marketing/PR and supported by Lloyd.
So when the club reports Fisher is out for 8 even though after three weeks out they’ve just discovered what the problem really is and SoS for 4 before they’ve seen the results of surgery ... take it with a grain of salt.
When Teague gets on radio and alludes to Curnow never being able to fully train again - that’s what I believe.

Incredibly frustrating.
Would not be another club in the league that not had this extended run of no luck for this many seasons in a row.
You expect a year or two, here and there in a decade where you get lucky and most of your players are available except 3 or 4 out of a list over 40 but we seem to be going on well over a decade of this stuff.
I remember 2011 finals series hoping like hope, Waite, Gibbs or Kruezer could come back. It is ten years later and do not think anything has let up in all that time of our run of bad luck with injuries. Surely luck is due for something good anytime soon?

Let me put it this way: the timelines for returns from impact or non-muscle injuries is far from an exact science.
For example, there’s fairly standard recovery times for hamstrings, calves, thighs etc depending on the grading.
Russell adds to this additional preparation dependent on the injury history of the player.
Makes good sense.
However for impact injuries, surgeries and stress injuries, players tend to recover at different rates and the variations can be significant.
There’s no doubt we’ve suffered significantly more of these type of injuries in the past two years and there are concerns internally that this is (without basis I should make clear) a reflection on Russell and the broader football leadership.
Therefore where the timing of return from injuries is uncertain, those without expertise are just as powerful a voice in determining how injuries are publicly communicated (both in the details of the injury itself and the number of matches a player is expected to miss).
The weekly injury report is preceded by a think tank which takes in multiple views (including non football staff) and consequences.
That’s why you get the ‘news’ story about Newman’s progress this week - it’s just about painting a public picture that our injury management is top shelf and that there’s positive news ahead. That type of info is not driven by Russell or Teague - it’s driven by marketing/PR and supported by Lloyd.
So when the club reports Fisher is out for 8 even though after three weeks out they’ve just discovered what the problem really is and SoS for 4 before they’ve seen the results of surgery ... take it with a grain of salt.
When Teague gets on radio and alludes to Curnow never being able to fully train again - that’s what I believe.

Sorry but this is all over the shop.

Russell can't do a single thing about impact injuries, unless he is running full scale training/match sims, that a way too vigorous

As for timelines on injuries, each individual, each injury is different, so timeframes are different

Didn't they find a bone growth in Fisher's ankle injury? If Jack has seen a surgeon about a standard shoulder surgery, why couldn't the timeline also be determined?

Maybe we should bookmark these current timelines and see how accurate they are

Sorry but this is all over shop.

Russell can't do a single thing about impact injuries, unless he is running full scale training/match sims, that a way too vigorous

As for timelines on injuries, each individual, each injury is different, so timeframes are different

Didn't they find a bone growth in Fisher's ankle injury? If Jack has seen a surgeon about a standard shoulder surgery, why couldn't the timeline also be determined?

Maybe we should bookmark these current timelines and see how accurate they are
or compare them to every other club. Sounds like standard practice to me.

the timing of return from injuries is uncertain, those without expertise are just as powerful a voice in determining how injuries are publicly communicated (both in the details of the injury itself and the number of matches a player is expected to miss).

Interesting public statement from Teague - given one rumour posted on here was the Club was in negotiations with Charlie - re lowering his salary - letting the world (and Charlie's manager ) know the Club expects him never to be 100% as before injury...

Cynical much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back