News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Crows for sure know the deal St Kilda has offered Brads management. And the Crows for sure know the threshold they need to comfortably reach for Band 1.

IMO all these interviews from all parties are just about ensuring that we are seen to be ‘playing by the rules’.

So far, so good!

I am also hoping the whole Dunstan/Webster trade for picks side deal is also part of the distraction, so that if we get Band 1 compo and don't make this trade we can come out and make a statement that doing something like that might be perceived as draft tampering.

eDPS, Knightmare, PMBangers and Chris25 are arguably the 4 most respected evaluators of young talent on BigFooty.
We're in real trouble if I'm one of the best 4 on bigfooty :tearsofjoy:

JUH certainly isn't far off McDonald, from my point of view the top 3 is a coin toss and really down to preference, McDonalds ability to hold marks against bigger and more physical defenders, not necessarily relying on his speed, is a big difference to how JUH plays and what his strengths are, as well as the goal accuracy. It's come down to McDonald I view as a future number 1 KPF in a team whereas JUH fits more of number 2 role just because we don't see him get physical too often and I doubt that he'll get the opportunity to do that at AFL level as often

A trade can only be forced if

1. The Crouch is desperate to get to St Kilda .....which he has stated Adel is his preferred option

2. St Kilda desperately needs Brad ......Treloar has just thrown a spanner in that
The Treloar spanner......that would mean that the Saints may have to take a gamble. If they back away from the FA they lose Brad but then when the Trade Period hits Treloar may not be up for a trade. The Saints lose out. Also FA costs them nothing whilst Treloar would cost a s**t load more and that might also mean that the Saints plan to get King out of the Suns gets squashed or at best delayed further.

The Treloar spanner......that would mean that the Saints may have to take a gamble. If they back away from the FA they lose Brad but then when the Trade Period hits Treloar may not be up for a trade. The Saints lose out. Also FA costs them nothing whilst Treloar would cost a sh*t load more and that might also mean that the Saints plan to get King out of the Suns gets squashed or at best delayed further.
Yeah it's not much of a spanner. They would have to pay Treloar similar coin but they would need to trade for him because he's contracted. Where as Brad is "free" to acquire other than salary.

The Treloar spanner......that would mean that the Saints may have to take a gamble. If they back away from the FA they lose Brad but then when the Trade Period hits Treloar may not be up for a trade. The Saints lose out. Also FA costs them nothing whilst Treloar would cost a sh*t load more and that might also mean that the Saints plan to get King out of the Suns gets squashed or at best delayed further.
This is true .....only becomes an issue if Crows don't get pick 2 ......if Crows "try" and force a trade, St Kilda will be more aware of the Treloar situation, and may prefer him, if the trade cost is the same

Now the spanner in that is "what is the actual Treloar Contract cost" ? ......it was reported his contract was backended and was owed $900K in his final year .....but COLL added additional years to even that cost out over subsequent years (signed last year)

So Treloars Contract maybe lower than the Crouch's offer, and with COLL offering $100K-$200K part payment ...it makes Treloar very enticing

Yeah it's not much of a spanner. They would have to pay Treloar similar coin but they would need to trade for him because he's contracted. Where as Brad is "free" to acquire other than salary.
Which you still think, if St Kilda are smart" ....their Contract to Brad will ensure #2 compo .....and ship Roberton off to another club, as he's the big contract at the Saints

I can't see the Pies accepting pick 15 for Treloar anyway, especially when the Suns (pick 5) are ready to have a crack at him.

He has a high floor, possibly the highest floor in the draft, but I strongly disagree with any suggesting Phillips has a low ceiling.

For those who watched my YouTube video: "Better than Matt Rowell? This years best midfielder and my first picked Supercoach pick in 2021." I analyse Phillips there.

Being just 180cm and already having such an advanced game, people tend to associate that with reduced upside. Certainly for sub 180s you're looking at guys who are generally grown into their bodied and tend to have less physical and football development to come. And with that, when you're looking at averages when you really go through the numbers of players over the years, and those guys tend to have less development in them than say 190cm+ mids who had late growth spurts as they're still growing into their bodies and just at the tip of realising their capabilities. And there are always exceptions - see Lachie Neale winning the Brownlow this year or Brent Harvey being short yet seemingly getting better over the course of his career.

There is however in this equation a balance that needs to be established and a reasonable weighting/context. The play of Phillips during last year's NAB League Finals was superior to Rowell and Anderson at the same age and stage. Being a year younger than Rowell/Serong/Flanders, his play was actually even last year on parr with those guys, and better than the below past performance standard finals series produced by Anderson. So that's the calibre of footballer we're talking about with Phillips.

Does Matt Rowell have limited upside being a cm or two shorter than Phillips? I'm sure there are other players from last years draft who will make ground on him, as others can make ground on Phillips, but we're talking about guys who are such a long way ahead of their peers and already round one, season one are types where you look at Rowell, and after one senior game it was obvious he is Gold Coast's best footballer. My personally view is Phillips won't quite be Rowell, but like Rowell is the best mid in last year's draft, Phillips is that equivalent in this years draft and I'm seeing him becoming something like a prime Adam Treloar or prime Taylor Adams level footballer, and from very early on. With the combination of his contested ball winning, accumulation, burst of acceleration and how he covers the groudn. He'll be exceptional. We're not going to see Danger/Dusty from Phillips as he doesn't impact games forward of centre like that, but as with a Rowell, as a pure mid, he'll be big time.
Thanks mate, appreciate your input.

I was more than keen to draft him TBH.

Which you still think, if St Kilda are smart" ....their Contract to Brad will ensure #2 compo .....and ship Roberton off to another club, as he's the big contract at the Saints
Roberton would be a good pick up for Sydney...and we might not bid on Campbell at pick 2 ;-)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The real world doesn't count. BigFooty is the ultimate authority on all matters related to recruiting and drafting. The clubs are just entertaining themselves to pass the time while the real powerbrokers do the deals that count on here, and the main board. Take the red pill, man.

You missed a few matters the BigFooty community are the ultimate authority on.
  • Vaccines - and how long trials take.
  • How to Govern during a pandemic.
  • How to run a quarantine program.
  • US Politics.
I'm sure there are many more, obviously including how to coach and select AFL teams.

Exactly right. Saints don't have the currency to get Treloar. Brad is a free hit. But Waynesworld is just being a drama queen.

on reflection, probably the only aspect I am concerned with re Kelly's comments was that the club is open minded about players being involved in a trade. If it is not band 1 and it goes to a trade, there is no way I want to see any salary dump type players being foisted on to us along with their pick 15..unless they offer up a good player then we have to push for their pick 15 and a future 1st or 2nd as an absolute minimum or we hold brad

I never said they were.

But of course they are going to trade under the current rules because it's mutually advantageous for the two clubs.

That doesn't change the fact it is incredibly damaging to the integrity and fairness of the draft.

"incredibly damaging" is a massive stretch. So when Dogs swap 13 for two seconds, who is that unfair to? If the pick swap didn't occur, they still get the first choice player in the draft by matching the bid on him, so the pick swap has no influence on the picks prior to their original pick. Where it has some impact is that positions 14 to the first that they use move back 1. That's not "incredibly damaging" at all, pick 14 becomes pick 15, but second round and beyond picks are moved forward 1 or 2 spots depending where picks fall. Massive overreaction.

The rules should be changed to stop traded picks being used for points. That stops all this trading of pick abuse.
The did adjust the rules so you need as many free list spots as you have picks so teams that bring in extra picks for points need extra available spots. This does go some way to preventing the problem.

Agreed, it is a big gamble now to put all their eggs into the Treloar basket and just forget all of the work they have already put into Crouch. There would be other suitors out there for Treloar so it is not like they are the only ones in the market for him.

They know what they are getting with Brad, he wants to go their and the deal is already sorted. They could get burnt massively if they suddenly jumped ship and it didn't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back