News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Pick 1 alone is worth Pick 3 and 2021/1

2021/1 whatever said and done is still speculative.

Not with the state of North. They will be playing a mini-colts side next year. Almost a lock for pick 1.

If we both badly want McD, then pick 1 increases in value quote a bit from what Iā€™ve suggested. I personally donā€™t see the fuss about him. We do that trade and we still get two great players plus Horne.

What about their first this year and next? Can't finish much higher than what they did this year. Always the chance they'll bomb and it could be top 10.
Then why not just slightly overpay B.Crouch by $50-100K and offer him $750K so they don't loss their draft picks. That's the point of using the FA.

Caught up on the announcement and thread. Good for the club that he's leaving and I think it'll be beneficial in the long run. Couple of points:

1. If the difference between St Kilda getting him for nothing as a FA, or having to deal at the trade table and cough up at minimum a 1st Rounder, is a measly 250k across 5 years then it's a no brainer. They'd pay the extra. Just back-end it. This would be known by all.

2. Roo saying "the club" doesn't know the exact specific offer from St Kilda wouldn't be a lie. But, we know what we offered him, and we know what he wanted to stay, and we know his value, so the offer must be a fair bit higher than ours for him to consider moving. If we didn't finish bottom we wouldn't be quite so keen to shop him around, but here we are.

3. These dealings are months, possibly years in the works (wouldn't surprise me if Crouch was on the Saints radar last trade period when they secured other experienced first choice mids).

Ultimately I think we will get Band 1, and wouldn't have gone through this 12 month process if we thought it'd be for less.

North supporters obviously the most vocal and salty out of this in regards to Brad getting us Pick 2. Brouch's salary is going to be $700k+

Its happening, EAD and move on.

Your bounciness about the alleged pick 2 is matched only by your scathing ebullience regarding anything "Carlton"! I fear you're going to be very disappointed: saying something n times does not make it so. Do you actually have any evidence for your conclusion?

Ultimately I think we will get Band 1, and wouldn't have gone through this 12 month process if we thought it'd be for less.

My theory is both Adelaide and St Kilda do a deal believing it's enough for pick 2 compensation.

Then, because the compensation formula is a black box, the AFL hands us pick 20. Cue everyone being surprised and outraged! AFL explains that it "just missed out" on band 1 compensation. We get shafted.

Then why not just slightly overpay B.Crouch by $50-100K and offer him $750K so they don't loss their draft picks. That's the point of using the FA.
Sorry that was given the crows match the offer if its unclear whether we'll get band 1.

Tbh maybe I don't know how this all works. Would we still keep him if we match?

I recall "I'll help him pack his bags and drive him to the airport" being said about Charlie Cameron a lot too.

Are we quite so happy with that one in retrospect?
We were still in premiership contention when Cameron left, totally different situation. If we were currently in premiership contention right now and B.Crouch left which would mean the max FA compensation will be a low 1st rounder, we will be pissed.

Sorry that was given the crows match the offer if its unclear whether we'll get band 1.

Tbh maybe I don't know how this all works. Would we still keep him if we match?
I'm with you...I think band 1 knowing how the AFL works is wishful thinking. I'll be happy to be proven wrong but until then I'm not counting on it.

I'd be surprised if the AFL's not already got some clubs in their ears already lobbying with compo especially when it's pick 2 up for grabs

My theory is both Adelaide and St Kilda do a deal believing it's enough for pick 2 compensation.

Then, because the compensation formula is a black box, the AFL hands us pick 20. Cue everyone being surprised and outraged! AFL explains that it "just missed out" on band 1 compensation. We get shafted.
And then compensation is abolished next year.

We were still in premiership contention when Cameron left, totally different situation. If we were currently in premiership contention right now and B.Crouch left which would mean the max FA compensation will be a low 1st rounder, we will be pissed.

Being in contention is MORE reason to have wanted to keep Cameron, not less.

Your logic is ass backwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. You can bookmark this.

Caught up on the announcement and thread. Good for the club that he's leaving and I think it'll be beneficial in the long run. Couple of points:

1. If the difference between St Kilda getting him for nothing as a FA, or having to deal at the trade table and cough up at minimum a 1st Rounder, is a measly 250k across 5 years then it's a no brainer. They'd pay the extra. Just back-end it. This would be known by all.

2. Roo saying "the club" doesn't know the exact specific offer from St Kilda wouldn't be a lie. But, we know what we offered him, and we know what he wanted to stay, and we know his value, so the offer must be a fair bit higher than ours for him to consider moving. If we didn't finish bottom we wouldn't be quite so keen to shop him around, but here we are.

3. These dealings are months, possibly years in the works (wouldn't surprise me if Crouch was on the Saints radar last trade period when they secured other experienced first choice mids).

This is a very good point. Seeing a lot of posts stating length of contract does not matter.

Length wouldn't really matter if they get paid the exact amount every year. A larger 5th year pushes up the average yearly salary, could be the difference.

It's such a joke that the FA compo formula is a secret.

It's obviously just so they can manipulate it.

My gut feel is the AFL will try to screw us if they can.

Am I right that people seem to be saying 4x700k is the threshold for band 1 but Saints are only offering 4x650k?

That makes zero sense. 50k is nothing in an AFL cap.

Has that been confirmed anywhere? Can't see how it could be. Sounds like something the media might make up to keep the story going.

50k x 4 years amounts to a total of a rookie wage for 1 year. Saints would be mad not to pay that to avoid a trade and keep their first round draft pick.

Am I right that people seem to be saying 4x700k is the threshold for band 1 but Saints are only offering 4x650k?

Has that been confirmed anywhere? Can't see how it could be. Sounds like something the media might make up to keep the story going.

50k x 4 years amounts to a total of a rookie wage for 1 year. Saints would be mad not to pay that to avoid a trade and keep their first round draft pick.

Itā€™s all speculation.

I donā€™t get this ā€˜secret herbs and spicesā€™ crap; the AFL has set out a pretty clear framework for compensation.

One thing we donā€™t know is the exact contract a FA is taking - and weā€™ll never get that until the AFLPA lets everyone salary be known publicly.

It's not confirmed because as you say, the formula is a closely guarded secret.

Im confident enough it'll be a contract worthy of Band 1, whether the AFL decide that this year you need to have a name starting with J to get Band 1 or some other ridiculous clause who knows.

I guess as a North supporter, you guys get screwed the worst here? Instead of Pick 2, you end up with Pick 4 so to speak.

Dogs take JUH, we have the next two picks then you?

Yes on the face of it. Imagine finishing 2nd last by just a few % points and getting pick 4-5.

That said, and itā€™s just my opinion, the contract St Kilda wonā€™t be enough to trigger band 1 compo. Just my opinion. No need to hate on me.

Plus, my thoughts on this years top 5 differ from most. I am really keen for north to not go tall at 2 (or 4,5 whatever). For north I think Phillips is the way to go. If not he, than Hollands. If we were to go tall, Iā€™d go DGB, then Riley, then MacDonald. Once again, Iā€™m in the minority here.

The length is 5 years, has been reported by a few journos now

The length is 5 years, has been reported by a few journos now
4 + a trigger isn't it?

In which case the trigger wouldn't be included in compo calculations apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back