Toast Brad Lloyd - Head of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that our "senior assistant" is a former school chum of our CEO might have something to do with the fact that the club hasn't moved on said senior assistant and gotten in someone like Neil Craig to help out Teague.
Hope no truth but I not felt full confidence in our CEO for over a year now despite initially sounding good in the first few media frontings.
Football department spend slashed by millions across all clubs and the AFL. That said, when their contracts do come up I feel we will see the changes then as there will be a few people looking for work as assistant coach.

If we paid people out now it would certainly be included in our allowed spend
Good to see some decent thinking in our supporters here and good food for thought there J Dog.

The fact that our "senior assistant" is a former school chum of our CEO might have something to do with the fact that the club hasn't moved on said senior assistant and gotten in someone like Neil Craig to help out Teague.
Would be more valid if other department heads hadn't shown the same level of faith in Barker but hey, conspiracies are fun.

I really want to give this bloke every opportunity to do right by us
But going 2 pre-seasons and neglecting to pad Teague out with an experienced Senior Assistant is inexcusable. Furthermore, the complete dearth of talent and recognised success on our coaching panel is something directly attributable to Brad Lloyd.
We are failing to learn from lessons of the past. I don't want to see Teague gone, but we are setting him up to fail

Very valid point, compare our assistants to those in successful teams...

Completey correct here.

Bolton had Craig go, never to be replaced. What hope did he have without a senior assistant to guide his path. The wise old head.

Teague needs similar desperately. However does this contradict Judds training wheels comment!? If so, who cares, we are in it to WIN onfield football not the off field cup.

In the great Drafting v Development debate, if we all agree we have enough top end talent on the list from 6years of drafting, why is it our drafted kids are struggling to own their positions beyond Fisher, Weitering and Walsh?

Too many question marks surround the rest.
Its Development that is now our watch point.

Thats coaching and the responsibility of the Head of Footy under the eye of the Director of Footy (whatever he does)

Fogarty the same draft as Dow and Obrien, plays 2 games for us, wins ball, 2way runner, tackles. Pick22. Miles ahead of our top tier picks. Thats development. Its clear.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Completey correct here.

Bolton had Craig go, never to be replaced. What hope did he have without a senior assistant to guide his path. The wise old head.

Teague needs similar desperately. However does this contradict Judds training wheels comment!? If so, who cares, we are in it to WIN onfield football not the off field cup.

In the great Drafting v Development debate, if we all agree we have enough top end talent on the list from 6years of drafting, why is it our drafted kids are struggling to own their positions beyond Fisher, Weitering and Walsh?

Too many question marks surround the rest.
Its Development that is now our watch point.

Thats coaching and the responsibility of the Head of Footy under the eye of the Director of Footy (whatever he does)

Fogarty the same draft as Dow and Obrien, plays 2 games for us, wins ball, 2way runner, tackles. Pick22. Miles ahead of our top tier picks. Thats development. Its clear.

Dow yes O’Brien no.

Pay the bill first
I would have preferred to see the back of Barker back in 2013 after our forward line failed to kick goals. We might have made the finals from 9th place, but there was no way that our team was finals quality.

I mean no amount of player development is going to sort out O’Brien, but I still have plenty of hope for Dow.
Sorry to turn your "firecracker" into a damn squib... but there is a lot in O'Brien that the right coach will bring out. He has a fair amount of talent and a fair amount of mongrel in him, something rare in our team, and the right coach will bring all that out in him. Someone like Hodge or Mitchell would be the type of coach we need to bring it all out for him.

That and about 10kg in weight. But he isn't afraid to fly the flag against anyone!

There is an alarming issue with our development of young players. I’ve focused on watching other teams young players over the weekend and it’s polar opposite to us.

You see Sydney who continuously blood young players who come in and continue to impress.
You see Freo who bottomed out similar to us and now have Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong etc all being key players.
Brisbane, Saints, Adelaide, Port all with similar stories.

Then you look at us - Cunners, LOB, Dow, SPS, Stocker and more who have stagnated or gone backwards

Brad Lloyd should be making some changes, reviewing what’s going on but nothings been happening

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently we should have drafted differently, a player that isn't even playing senior footy
Lachie Fogarty pick22 by Geelong, now at Carlton.

Darcy Fogarty pick12 by Adelaide, still at Adelaide. That was the guy the competition was laughing at us for not getting.

I'm talking Lachie.

Arrow you clearly dont know your football, maybe do your research then comment.

Yeah and didn't we beat them last year? While said player had a mare?
Is that the Geelong game where they missed directly in front after we blew a 40pt lead OR the Adelaide game that we lost, then chaired Gibbs off the ground.

Confused which Fogarty you dont rate.
If its Lachie, clearly you dont see what quality performance he displayed on Thursday which was miles ahead of anything Dow and LOB have produced to date, at same age and high pick

Doesnt mean Dow and LOB are s**t, it means they are not developing properly

Darcy Fogarty pick12 by Adelaide, still at Adelaide. That was the guy the competition was laughing at us for not getting.

I'm talking Lachie.

The point has gone way, way over your head.

The point has gone way, way over your head.
The point is we have an issue with the development of our highly talented draftees.

Its not a discussion on did we pick the right player at the right draft pick.

Purely, geelong developed at later pick, far better than we have managed to develop earlier picks.

I'm talking Lachie.

Best you do some research mate.

The poster suggested we should have taken Richards from the Dogs, who isn't in the side currently

Is that the Geelong game where they missed directly in front after we blew a 40pt lead OR the Adelaide game that we lost, then chaired Gibbs off the ground.

Confused which Fogarty you dont rate.
If its Lachie, clearly you dont see what quality performance he displayed on Thursday which was miles ahead of anything Dow and LOB have produced to date, at same age and high pick

Doesnt mean Dow and LOB are sh*t, it means they are not developing properly

Mate, not Fog or Cats

Richards and Dogs

The point is we have an issue with the development of our highly talented draftees.

Purely, geelong developed at later pick, far better than we have managed to develop earlier picks.

How have the Cats early picks gone?

Not sure what you mean?

2017 Draft.

Dow pick3.
Obrien pick10
Fogarty pick22

I fear that this is the draft that may haunt us. Nick Coffield & Hunter Clark were two that I really liked before the draft and both look great at the saints. At this stage Dow is a 50/50 proposition and O'Brien is looking more and more like a bust.

Still time but gee one of those saints running around in blue would be nice!

I don't know but for mine, people focus too much on a draft number, maybe the better player was picked at pick 22? Being picked earlier doesn't necessarily make you better.

Of course, development is important and maybe ours is lacking but maybe Fogarty was always going to be the better player or maybe the ones we picked were always going to be a slower burn, regardless of who picked them up.

Maybe we missed with some of our picks but that isn't something exclusive to Carlton, it happens to every club even the most successful ones. Hindsight drafting is very easy.

I'm talking Lachie.

Yeah, Arrow doesn't know footy.

You see Sydney who continuously blood young players who come in and continue to impress.

One of the key differences between a club like Sydney and our development of players is that when they promote a player into the senior team they give them set well-defined roles and only add onto those roles when they've established that they're on top of that job.

We chop and change, sometimes to significant degrees. We've even done it to players who have been developed successfully (Weitering, Walsh).

Like most employees of any service, the majority of young players require consistency of role and expectation in order to develop successfully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back