Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

The Springfield "Relocation" paradigm was just given a s**t load of credibility when BS said we would play H&A games at Springfield "one-day".

While I still appreciate the benefits of the deal as it was, if it could have been completed; it's great that Gill has a MANAGEABLE task to sink his teeth into as soon as he gets the big job, because F&B prices was probably going to be a long drawn out battle with an anticlimactic ending.

At the end of the day if we can get our financial issues sorted, have a state of the art facilities upgrade AND keep our training and administration in the metropolitan area of the city we bare the name of - then that is a great outcome.

I'm going to require a fair bit of convincing that anyone can accomplish all three and as such I'm pretty sure most of us will be happy with two out of three.

...isn't Gill's father-in-law the ex-chairman of Spotless?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...-aim-at-spotless/story-fn91vdzj-1226249816517

Last edited:
I think Springfield was the golden egg both us and the AFL needed. It solved a lot of problems. Cash flow, by moving out of the Gabba, new facilities to help increase our on field performance and player retention, and a fatter bottom line means more money can be put back into the on field sides of things. The social club helps bring in more cash to contribute as well.

This is why the AFL ignored us for so long, they were happy with the 5 year plan and what it was to achieve. Now its been held up for awhile, and funding is still not here, no matter how good or bad the facility is, its no longer a viable option. Someone with footy nous comes in as CEO to keep us on track, we cut ties with Springfield and move forward. The longer it takes for us to get out of the gabba, the longer the AFL need to foot the bill for us to live.

Springfield is still likely to happen IMO if the AFL wants it to happen. An AFL interest free loan to the club to account for the shortfall would be one way to get the project moving.

I'm not yet convinced that the AFL has been turned off Springfield.

Springfield is still likely to happen IMO if the AFL wants it to happen. An AFL interest free loan to the club to account for the shortfall would be one way to get the project moving.

I'm not yet convinced that the AFL has been turned off Springfield.
It may end up being the best option, but they will sure as hell not go anywhere near it while Bob is the chairman.

Agree, Springfield might still yet go ahead, it certainly isnt dead in the water, simply we need an answer now though. We might well go a new CEO, new chairman, cut ties with Bob but still get funding from AFL and still go there.

I'm really not sure this news has anything to do with McLachlan wanting to enhance his reputation with the fans or win over the Lions supporter base. The Lions hardly rate a mention in Qld media let alone the AFL heartland southern states... if Vossy wasn't pushing our case who would?

If McLachlan wanted to make a statement and take a stand to show people a new broom or a clean start or that hes substantially different to Vlad he would have pitched his tent on a Melbourne issue not a Queensland one.

McLachlan has walked into a shitstorm here with Springfeild... nothing more nothing less. Its a festering sore on so many fronts it simply had to be dealt with - funding, supporters, conflicts, Chairman gaffs... the list goes on.

Yes it gives him a chance to be a hero. But he could have been a hero when he cut the ribbon on a shiny new facility that solved our issues without the associated drama too. This is simply a commercial arrangement gone horribly wrong, who's continued media and supporters discussion simply aggravate that situation. I'd be surprised if anyone in the corporate world could fathom how it got as far as it did with the structures surrounding it.

McLachlans JOB is to keep the AFL's nose clean. Its to sort commercial viability and ensure the business at all levels is viable and sustainable. Without funding the board simply became more and more isolated perusing an unsustainable option with seemingly no plan B. That was proof enough interests other than that of the AFL were at play.

Don't confuse his JOB with a desire to do the right thing, unless thats a side effect that happens as a consequence. We may end up with a new facility somewhere, somehow. It may well still be Springfeild. But by the looks, it will all happen with a far more removed approach than we've seen in the past.

Personally I dont care what McLachlans feelings are about us, if his approach in performing his role is simply open and transparent in servicing the needs of the clubs including ours he will be a huge step forward and we should benefit either way with new facilities - less the drama hopefully.

I think it is far too coincidental that, after being largely ignored by AFL House for years, a new CEO comes into power and all of a sudden we're a priority.

I definitely think he's trying to get a win up, to be seen as a problem solver and maybe to find an issue on which to distinguish himself from his predecessor.

To be honest though, his motivations are irrelevant as long as he follows through.

Once the CEO thing is sorted, it will be interesting to see if any more noise comes from AFLHQ, or if it all gets dumped to the new CEO and its mission complete for AFL. Facilities is the lynch pin for our ability to successfully and meaningfully exist. Hopefully the AFL are as proactive there as they are with the CEO change over.

I think equalisation is what his main goal is. They started it, and he is keen to finish it. We are the first step in doing that. To have all clubs sustainable would be a massive accomplishment, we are the basket case at present.

I definitely think he's trying to get a win up, to be seen as a problem solver and maybe to find an issue on which to distinguish himself from his predecessor.

Undoubtedly. I'm sure that's some of his motivation... we're just ironically lucky that this issue has become a little too out of control for him to ignore in his new capacity. The strange part is that its a situation his predecessor was happy to create and then walk away from. The chance to prove the difference between them will never be more stark.

To be honest though, his motivations are irrelevant as long as he follows through.

Amen. :)

Last edited:
I think it is far too coincidental that, after being largely ignored by AFL House for years, a new CEO comes into power and all of a sudden we're a priority.

Wonder what Bob's end of the phone call sounded like..
Bob : "Yeah, ah, hi, Gill? Ah Gill it's Bob Sharpless.... Sharpless.... Brisbane..... Lions....yeah, the club. Yeah look Gill, we're really thankful for the money Andrew gave us for Christmas, but ah, um, could we maybe get some more?.......Spent it....no no, not all of it, we've still got enough to fly down for round 8......Yeah but that's about it really......I know it was a lot......well Malcolm needed his car serviced, and we shouted Leigh out to tea, it just all adds up.... Yeah I know..........Yeah I know..........Yeah I know..........Yeah I know..........No, no need to come up....... the books are at the cleaners......... no, there's no need, if you could just pop a few dollars in the account..........you can't?............oh you won't..........Malcolm's? I think it's a European job......yes the service is very expensive.........no we won't be paying for another service......... just a few bucks to get us.........well there's really no need....... okay, see you Friday then."

Is Gill wanting to make a mark or have things got so bad that he has to bail us out?

I'm still think his experience and involvement in the GC and GWS set-ups gave him an idea of what us and Sydney are up against. He knows that everything needs to be shipshape for us to have a chance of not draining the AFL's pockets for years to come, whereas Demetriou never found a problem he couldn't solve by just throwing cash around randomly, or threatening not to. Hence McLachlan being more hands on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was always going to be a race to see what the first major issue to deal with is for the new CEO. A long time heir-apparent finally getting the job needs to get some early wins under the belt because its an easy narrative to start tearing him down early. There is already skepticism brewing up in the media about Gill's affordability platform and unless he has something else to be visibly working on, it won't be long before he is a soft target.

Yeah...Mclaughlan instrumental in deals with Metricon and Adelaide Oval..

The development of stadiums across the country as the competition has expanded, coupled with a record $1.258 billion deal for the most recent broadcast rights, has won McLachlan a reputation as a gun negotiator — articulate, fair, decisive and pragmatic

I'd say Springfield is dead......Expecting a new negotiated Gabba deal to be done...

Last edited:
If Springfield is canned where does that leave us when it comes to new facilities?

That doesn't solve our training facilities issue though.

Yeah, as unsavory as it may be, there is always the option of sharing Metricon...Auld and Gill are old mates..
Edit: and we're reportedly $10mill a year in debt...

The Adelaide Oval.....helps to have friends behind the scenes in negotiations.....Gill's uncle Ian Mclaughlan is president of the SA Cricket Association.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back