Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Sharples statement on Holmes

"Mr Sharpless also restated the Club’s commitment to securing funding for a Elite Training and Administration Facility at Springfield.
“The state-of-the-art facility is the best option for the Club going forward and the AFL has stated its full support for the project,” said Mr Sharpless."

On another front Sleepy, er sorry... I meant the Deputy Prime Minister is promising billions in infrastrucuture funding to be announced tomoorow night. Speculation only - If the AFL are still backing Springfield might there be life in the old Regional Development grant for Springfield?

Has the club ever properly explained why the Nathan / QEII option is not suitable? I don't think I've ever read why anywhere, it's only ever been "yeah but Springfield is 'better' ".

Has the club ever properly explained why the Nathan / QEII option is not suitable? I don't think I've ever read why anywhere, it's only ever been "yeah but Springfield is 'better' ".

1. Space

2. Money (both ongoing rent and a lack of available funding to built the project)

Interesting in the video the lions put up, Bob pretty much says our options are Springfield or nothing. If springfield doesnt happen, we stay at the gabba.

There was a real edge to his words when he was talking about staying at the Gabba and Coorparoo and providing B grade facilities.

I reckon there was a target for those words. Someone inside the club has either legitimately suggested just remaining where they are or suggested an option he thinks is too far off or too unrealistic.

From all reports that "someone inside the club" is every player, coach and admin staff. No one wants to move to Springfield.

There was a real edge to his words when he was talking about staying at the Gabba and Coorparoo and providing B grade facilities.

I reckon there was a target for those words. Someone inside the club has either legitimately suggested just remaining where they are or suggested an option he thinks is too far off or too unrealistic.
And it is those kind of blinkers that are gonna keep eyebrows raised.

"If we can't got to Springfield we stay at the Gabba and train at Coorparoo and give our player access to B-grade facilities."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-08/malcolm-holmes-to-end-lions-tenure

Overlooking everything else, Burpen****gary has reportedly rolled out the red carpet for us. Why aren't they even a consideration if they can't get the deal done at Springfield?

I reckon there was a target for those words.

Yeah, but I reckon it is Hammo. He's been going the hatchet on Bob and I reckon Bob is trying to fight back (unsuccessfully).

Yeah, but I reckon it is Hammo. He's been going the hatchet on Bob and I reckon Bob is trying to fight back (unsuccessfully).

Good point. That's much more likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never thought I'd see the day when someone was unsuccessful against Hammo. Then again I never thought I'd see the day when Lions fans would join forces with Hammo either.

It's been a learning experience for us all hasn't it.

The alternative is to support us just enough to get our heads above water but not enough to allow us to reach parity with the better resourced clubs in the comp.

Brisbane will have an AFL side of some description. And it is hard to imagine it would be anything other than the Brisbane Lions. So survival is not the issue. The question is whether that side is given the same opportunity to win a flag as most sides have. To give us that opportunity, the AFL can't go in half-arsed. It has to be committed to a complete recovery.

That's my biggest concern. That the AFL's support for us will be lukewarm rather than red hot and will simply keep us hovering just above the poverty line.

Truest post on the whole thing. The powers in the Vic clubs want us as poor cousins so they can notch up easy victories & play finals, & as a low cost recruiting resource. Such is reality.

On the topic at hand - Holmes was never the right choice - no idea of the importance of the culture etc.IMO he did a fair job with the hand he was dealt - no money fractured board, no facilities, poor team etc. But now is the time for a true AFL CEO,

Not unless its Bob making a point to Gill. Trying to sell Springfield as the only place worth it. If we cant go there then we are stuck with our crap facilities. So if gill wants to drag us out of the gutter, bring the cheque book and make the facilities happen.

QE2 is used for school sports days. Qld gov should sell it to lions.
Or... build new facilities in block across road from Gabba where Lands is.
CEO might be a female?

QE2 is used for school sports days. Qld gov should sell it to lions.
Or... build new facilities in block across road from Gabba where Lands is.
CEO might be a female?

There's apartment blocks going in across the road. They're selling off the plan now.

So good facilities in a location no one wants to be or s**t facilities in a good location....

Essentially do we want a punch the stomach or a punch to the head?

This is how it is tom unfortunately , this message that comes from the board tells me that there are only 2 options being Springfield or the status quo, so what we as loyal subjects do is try and come up with theories about why he would say that to the general public that there are only 2 options , when surely there are a multitude of options or configerations of the Administration, training facilities, and sports club, north, south , west or north.
I could not be bothered to come up with a reason why there is no transparency with his statement, he is a snake , good or bad one I'm not sure, how could you be . I dont think he is of the harmless green variety.
From all reports that "someone inside the club" is every player, coach and admin staff. No one wants to move to Springfield.
This is contradictory to what the Zorks said on radio.
Zorko has a spot on 4kq on thursday mornings , and they posed the question , how do the players think about moving out there. His response sounded genuine, and he said that they need the first class facilities and thats what the players want. Then he spoke about the players would have the option to buy out there or simply commute, he basically said no big deal the important thing was to get the 1st class facility.

Before I heard this I probably thought it was a bad idea because my thoughts were who would want to have to move out there or spend that extra time getting there,
from what he was saying not a problem for the players.
I know he would not be negative with his response , but having said that , like I said he sounded genuine .

Kernel, you'd hardly imagine Zorks or any player/coach/admin staff to come out publicly and say they don't want to move to Springfield do you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back