Opinion Bring Bomber Thompson back as an assistant coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

There have been heaps of rumours about Bomber's personal issues away from the game and that's why no club has gone near him. Of course the Essendon drugs stuff doesn't help either.

There's no doubt that he's a superb coach though. If Chris Scott thinks he can have a good working relationship with him then I don't see why we wouldn't consider it. But I'd only do it with very clear expectations and boundaries on his role. Maybe offering him a 2-day a week role working one on one with young players would be a starting point.

During the commentary on the weekend Bomber couldn't remember or pronounce the names of players he coached when he was at Geelong last time. No thanks.

Nice observation caitsith01
From his OK mete to his body language in the box Bomber is one very strange bloke.
I actually find him great entertainment value but wouldn't want him near the Club. He's not a narcissist like Hird but his ego gets him into some very awkward spots.
On knowing player names, I was lucky enough to be in the rooms over here a few years ago - we were with Buddha and were talking to Bizzell after he had played a blinder , kicked a bag and took a couple of absolute screamers.
Bomber patted him on the back and kept on calling him mate. After he left Buddha and Bizzell grinnned at each other , Buddha said " feck me , he still doesn't know who you are "

How about Bomber saying he (currently) has greater affinity with the Cats than Bombers. Obviously very bitter & twisted towards Essendon.

His Open Mike session this week will be very interesting

Yeah he ******* went to town in the HUN.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

unnamed_2.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Amazing stuff…….you can almost taste the animosity toward Essendon and Little/Hird…….

As a supporter of Thompson ( and no I don't want him back as head coach )..I would welcome him back into the fold without a moments hesitation. We owe him a lot….

How about Bomber saying he (currently) has greater affinity with the Cats than Bombers. Obviously very bitter & twisted towards Essendon.

His Open Mike session this week will be very interesting
The problem with Bomber Thompson at Essendon is that there are bits he still doesn't get. I reckon behind closed doors, there was s**t going on at Bomberland we still don't know about - and neither would he. The Essendon football club almost put it's existence on the line to save Hird. Or more pointedly, some powerful figures at the Essendon football club did. Why? That's the million dollar question. It's only the fact that the AFL is money, money, money, and they would lose millions if Essendon was suspended from the competition saved them.

Bomber is mad at Essendon because he still doesn't know what the hell he was supposed to have done.

I'm not sure Bomber has animosity to James Hird; he said he has a good relationship with him and Hird said Bomber sent him a nice text after the Bombers win against the Hawks recently.

But yeah he wishes he didn't go back to Essendon - and its obvious its the ASADA thing is the reason why, though no doubt many Cat supporters think he betrayed Geelong, so he may feel he might have burnt some bridges there.

I can see where the drug rumours come from - he does have some odd mannerisms about him - it comes across in basically all of his media work and certainly in that interview with Sheehan. I'm not a huge believer in rumour and scuttlebutt as many seem to pass off something unfounded as dead-set fact - I wouldn't mind betting a lot of the drug rumours that follow him are basically because he just has strange mannerisms.

Reckon he had some interesting things to say about both Geelong and Essendon - the performance review he underwent when he was coaching Geelong and the state of Essendon when he got back to our club.

The interview raised more questions than it answered, tbh as an Essendon supporter, and indeed as a football follower, I have nothing but admiration for Bomber - its a shame he feels alienated from the club he played with - hopefully that feeling eases over time for him.

Those of you who would have him back at Geelong, what role would you have him do? Some sort of assistants position or more a figurehead type of role? (if he would take the latter) TBH I'd be very surprised if he did end up back at the Cattery given his CV is now permanently marked given how he left the Cats and what happened at Essendon (leaving aside considerations of guilt or innocence - whether there was or was not a PED program at Essendon is now sort of irrelevant as those associated with it are now permanantly marked for many footy followers) - basically if you let Bomber back into your club all the cocaine innuendo, rumours of his affairs, PED stuff comes with him. And that's a great shame for someone with his stellar playing and coaching career, and especially so for someone who was a big reason why Geelong dominated footy in the last decade after years without premiership success.

I don't even know where to start with the above post...

Maybe ring sen chief

Great,our very own version of 'Jim from Hawthorn'

Have you not heard the clown
He rings regularly

Total clown, they don't give him too much time, calls himself the governor

Is he the new 'Brad from Eltham' ?

I haven't listened to SEN for a couple of years.Some of the hosts are bad enough and then it's topped off by the crackpots that ring up

The poster referred to had a twitter and the bio reads
'Tune into 1116 SEN to hear the Governor where he is a regular talk back caller'

I'd suggest anyone who has that publicly displayed isn't all there

Not allowed back at any time. it was his assistants that made our greatness , it was the players who took control in 2007. Not him, never him. As for loving the 'Cats 'more than the 'Bombers' well wouldn't you if you had been cast out by the club that you had loved. Ask the players of the early 2000s and they will tell you that all he talked about was how it was done at Essendon.
As for Gary Ablett, it is fanciful to believe what he says about 2010 when he had bullied Gary for the previous 6/7 years. Again ask people who were there and who will tell the truth.

The poster referred to had a twitter and the bio reads
'Tune into 1116 SEN to hear the Governor where he is a regular talk back caller'

I'd suggest anyone who has that publicly displayed isn't all there
Plus that person demanded acknowledgement for the AFL tribunal finding the EFC players did nothing wrong

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back