Roast Brodie Smith is a front runner

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith is more suited mainly as an outside player than an inside player... But you want to play him mainly in the guts?

No issue giving him bursts, but he he is best mainly on the outside.
How do you know he's best on the outside when we haven't tried him in the inside?

As junior he played in the guts.

It is absolutely ludicrous that we have not tried it once.

And for those having a crack because he's being shut down in defence, he's not a bloody defender. He is a midfielder but we have pigeon holed him as a defender and we'd rather see him rot back there than move him.

How do you know he's best on the outside when we haven't tried him in the inside?

As junior he played in the guts.

It is absolutely ludicrous that we have not tried it once.

And for those having a crack because he's being shut down in defence, he's not a bloody defender. He is a midfielder but we have pigeon holed him as a defender and we'd rather see him rot back there than move him.
I have been calling for Smith to play midfield all year! Every week!

Can play mix of outside & inside.

Fair go EC, the man is an AA half back flanker for chrissake...
And that was on the back of his attacking play not being a great defender.

Clubs have woken up to that and now pay him close attention, so if we aren't getting his run why are we playing him back there?

It's a waste as he is an average defender.

Clubs have woken up to that and now pay him close attention, so if we aren't getting his run why are we playing him back there?

I agree, could pay to move him up the ground for a bit and suck his opponent into the open and expose them.

Wing maybe or a very outside mid role, to be honest I don't think Brodie's too keen on the physical stuff since his concussions. Personally Charlie Cameron is the guy I'd like to see tried in there, speed, aggression, tackling machine and great strength for his size, one of his ragdolling tackles on Dangerfield tonight was a thing of beauty..

Remember when Roos tagged him in 2014 (his All-Australian year) and he went to water that day too, is very comfortable in his own air and comfort zone, a bit like Bernie Vince was with the Crows and like Bernie after one honours year with the club hasn't really shown so far the ability and or want to improve his deficiencies

Smith is more suited mainly as an outside player than an inside player... But you want to play him mainly in the guts?

No issue giving him bursts, but he he is best mainly on the outside.

Clearance beast at junior level, only started playing outside roles when he hit the seniors.

Was putrid last night. Has been bad for a few weeks, especially his disposal, even when under no pressure. Playing like he did last year after his head knocks, but without the knocks this year....

He needs a move tot he mids. Our midfield is shithouse, he's out of form and needs a change, as he can't be dropped (who replaces him?). Lets change it up and try something different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smithers had a stinker but he was not alone. When 12 of your 22 playershave less than 15 possesions in a game you are not going to win games.

I have been calling for Smith into the midfield since that dickhead decided to go to Shits Creek but the reason why keep playing Smith and Laird back in defense is that they are the only good kicks and decision makes coming out of defense.

Teams have figured us out and are stopping the sling shot attacks by zoning up arou d the 50 and crowding the space. Smith is getting tagged and as someone who is being played on the outside, he is very reliant on getting the ball from the inside grunt work which has been sorely missing ever since the Hawthorn game.

I said last week and I will say again

To optimise Smith and Seed's in their current roles we need to be winning clearances and contested ball, lose here and your outside game starts to break down

With that said both Smith and Seed need to find a way to impact the game when things are not going to plan

Teams have realized that tagging him is an effective tactic
Well there are two responses to this then:
- first the onus is on him to find a way to work through it
- he needs to be shifted to a HFF where he can work up and back with his pace, and his disposal from limited possessions can do some damage

I've said it many times recently, but I really don't like the modern game where players exclusively train in a "group" (ie either forward, mid or defender). It creates unnecessary constraints on the teams flexibility. I agree that players should have a preferred position, but unless you are a KPP (ie Talia, Hartigan, Jacobs, walker or JJ) then you should (indicative lay) spend 50% of your time training in your preferred role and 25% in each of the other zones.

Well there are two responses to this then:
- first the onus is on him to find a way to work through it
- he needs to be shifted to a HFF where he can work up and back with his pace, and his disposal from limited possessions can do some damage

I've said it many times recently, but I really don't like the modern game where players exclusively train in a "group" (ie either forward, mid or defender). It creates unnecessary constraints on the teams flexibility. I agree that players should have a preferred position, but unless you are a KPP (ie Talia, Hartigan, Jacobs, walker or JJ) then you should (indicative lay) spend 50% of your time training in your preferred role and 25% in each of the other zones.

According to Cornes the sports science guys don't let trainings last long enough to do things like this.

Sorry to intrude guys,

I think you should persist with him. He may be down on confidence but there's no question he has great skills and may just need more time to develop. Jasper Pittard is the perfect example of persisting with a player and he is now repaying the faith in spades.

Smithers had a stinker but he was not alone. When 12 of your 22 playershave less than 15 possesions in a game you are not going to win games.

I have been calling for Smith into the midfield since that dickhead decided to go to Shits Creek but the reason why keep playing Smith and Laird back in defense is that they are the only good kicks and decision makes coming out of defense.

Teams have figured us out and are stopping the sling shot attacks by zoning up arou d the 50 and crowding the space. Smith is getting tagged and as someone who is being played on the outside, he is very reliant on getting the ball from the inside grunt work which has been sorely missing ever since the Hawthorn game.
That Smith being a "good kick" is fast becoming a fleeting memory but, he is still a long kick but that's where it ends nowadays. And I'd rate Luke Brown as it stands today both a "better" kick [accuracy] and a better decision maker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back