Roast It's time to talk about Doedee and Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Generally the money is already agreed upon earlier in the season. If a player doesn't play to their optimal level it makes it less costly at the trade table for the deal to go through for the acquiring club. Charlie Cameron is a prime example. It's more likely the acquiring club than the manager that would advise players to keep their pick value down on further reflection. All clubs do it, the smart ones at least.

No clubs operate within your imagination.

You are literally just making it up Muzza

A few games at a suburban ground might perk up the old attitude. But we and the6 know our coaches won't do that.
Brown and Crouch being dropped shows we're not locked into this philosophy.
But part of me agrees.

Brown and Crouch being dropped shows we're not locked into this philosophy.
But part of me agrees.

Brown wasn't dropped. When we do drop them, it's very belated and then we use the first available excuse to get them back in. Crouch is an example of this and Brown got injured, so jury out there.

Brown wasn't dropped. When we do drop them, it's very belated and then we use the first available excuse to get them back in. Crouch is an example of this and Brown got injured, so jury out there.
Brown was most likely the one that said he shouldn't be playing injured. I suspect Nick's would have kept playing him.

Brown was most likely the one that said he shouldn't be playing injured. I suspect Nick's would have kept playing him.

He went out with the health and safety thing, so presumably a close contact and was back in the 2s the following week or 2. Then injured. I doubt any of our senior guys put their hand up re injury, it's just not how the culture of self and entitlement works.

The heading needs to be changed..

It needs to read

“It’s time to talk about Doedee and Smith AND BEN KEAYS”..

Seriously havent seen a worse footballer get such an easy ride all because he puts in a shitload of effort.

And this is why I don't think we've been going that bad or that Nix is that bad a coach. He's just not a coach that's capable of developing a rebuilding side into a contender, so he's certain to fail. The list of senior players being carried by junior players is all of them less Tex and Laird. And yet he's petrified of swapping out a poorly performing 50 games played to give a kid a crack. He's absolutely wedded to Roo's brain fart that when you lose a senior player you first look at the number of games played when selecting a replacement. So the end result is that he'll carry these players in their primo spots until they retire, as Pyke did, despite this being a rebuild.

Doedee has had a bad year. But so have half the team. I still see him as a future captain and would be hanging on to him. Not denying he needs to have a huge pre season though. Seems to have a lost a bit of urgency in his game

And this is why I don't think we've been going that bad or that Nix is that bad a coach. He's just not a coach that's capable of developing a rebuilding side into a contender, so he's certain to fail. The list of senior players being carried by junior players is all of them less Tex and Laird. And yet he's petrified of swapping out a poorly performing 50 games played to give a kid a crack. He's absolutely wedded to Roo's brain fart that when you lose a senior player you first look at the number of games played when selecting a replacement. So the end result is that he'll carry these players in their primo spots until they retire, as Pyke did, despite this being a rebuild.
I think the crux of the problem is that we didn't fix our list management and recruiting when Pyke and Burton were given the flick. If we had we probably would have attracted a better coach as they would had some assurity that the club was on the same page instead of independent groups looking after their own interest. The club has no plan or vision. It's all ad-hoc and reactive. A decent club would taken a look at our list and said how did we get here? Then they would terminated those involved. The club has two choices from here. Make things better or make things worse.

Doedee has had a bad year. But so have half the team. I still see him as a future captain and would be hanging on to him. Not denying he needs to have a huge pre season though. Seems to have a lost a bit of urgency in his game
Yeah and id add, he is playing outside his limitations. Holding onto the ball longer than he needs to, taking on the risky kick, trying to do too much. Unfortunately i don't think he is ever going to be Scott Pendelbury. Just take the first option Doedee.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the crux of the problem is that we didn't fix our list management and recruiting when Pyke and Burton were given the flick. If we had we probably would have attracted a better coach as they would had some assurity that the club was on the same page instead of independent groups looking after their own interest. The club has no plan or vision. It's all ad-hoc and reactive. A decent club would taken a look at our list and said how did we get here? Then they would terminated those involved. The club has two choices from here. Make things better or make things worse.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Nix is Roo's last crack and hopefully a few of the other long term board members too. And that we'll be able to gut the spuds like Kelly at the same time. We need people who have been heavily involved in footy ops in a successful club, not just a club that made a couple of prelims like Noble, but genuinely successful. Once we've torn down our existing culture we can afford the average, steady as she goes types, but we need someone to pull it apart first.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Nix is Roo's last crack and hopefully a few of the other long term board members too. And that we'll be able to gut the spuds like Kelly at the same time. We need people who have been heavily involved in footy ops in a successful club, not just a club that made a couple of prelims like Noble, but genuinely successful. Once we've torn down our existing culture we can afford the average, steady as she goes types, but we need someone to pull it apart first.
Missing out on Balmey really hurt us - no-ones fault given he seemingly had one foot in the door with us before his health concerns. But contrast what he would bring, compared to Kelly - massive difference.

I am actually interested to see what impact our senior players have next year. Most have looked unfit the last couple of years and 12 months of Burgess will start this pre-season.

Smith, Doedee, Milera, let's be absolutely honest here and not add a little Crows coloured glasses gloss.

Would those guys be getting games in the top sides based on what they've produced this year?

I don't care what numbers say, with my own eyes I know these three have fallen a fair way from when they were at their best for us. Doedee who supposedly was captain in waiting has been horrible, fumbles, fails to make correct decisions, falls over! Stats don't capture those things but my eyes do.

The drop in form of senior players is one of the reasons we are so crap. Not sure if they'll rebound.

Hi Brodie's mum.

Hello young man. I would love to hear more about my sons decline.

Way I see it - he is 3rd at our club for kicks, 2nd for rebound 50's and 2nd for meters gained. Him and Dawson are the only ones able to take the game on in the back half and provide drive.

Sure he has had a bit more fumblitis this year, but will still finish top 10 in our B&F this year.

Smith and Dawson had near identical stats Today. Same kicks, same handballs. Only real difference was a goal to Dawson.

Smith doing much of his good work playing through the tag that Dawson couldn't cope with and that required a reshuffle.

Thought Dawson had a bit of a stinker to be honest.

Yeah and id add, he is playing outside his limitations. Holding onto the ball longer than he needs to, taking on the risky kick, trying to do too much. Unfortunately i don't think he is ever going to be Scott Pendelbury. Just take the first option Doedee.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

But these are the attributes an intercept defender needs in order to fulfil his role at "the easiest position" on the park. Not just picking off high balls. There is no use intercepting if you can't setup play via kick,have poor vision,average decision making and take an eternity to get ball to boot.

This whole loping casually holding the ball in one mit as if he's LeBron prior to kicking, is showboating stupidity for a guy with such average disposal.

I personally think he swallowed his own bathwater a couple years ago.

The heading needs to be changed..

It needs to read

“It’s time to talk about Doedee and Smith AND BEN KEAYS”..

Seriously havent seen a worse footballer get such an easy ride all because he puts in a shitload of effort.
Remind me again why Keays got delisted by Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back