Review Bulldogs belt Crows 85 - 40

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m super pleased that we still dominated an opponent at ground level all over the field while losing the clearances. Too often it’s the opposite and we win the clearances without it translating elsewhere. The whole 22 were up for it yesterday and demonstrates a level of buy-in from the whole side we just didn’t see last year.

Will need to repeat that whole team effort next week against the Suns, who have a very solid midfield and are no pushovers.

Got to laugh at the Crows board - all the criticisms of Ballarat as a location... and they live in Adelaide! And whingeing about how much they have to travel in a single season! Fcuk off - we played all over the country even before COVID. Year after year.

Hope every one of them had a truly sh1t day, and sh1t drive home.
Back to your boghole, you p1ssants.
The only thing that would have made it better was if they then decided to then go to Melbourne to watch the netball, and see the Vixens smash the Thunderbirds.

I’m super pleased that we still dominated an opponent at ground level all over the field while losing the clearances. Too often it’s the opposite and we win the clearances without it translating elsewhere. The whole 22 were up for it yesterday and demonstrates a level of buy-in from the whole side we just didn’t see last year.

Will need to repeat that whole team effort next week against the Suns, who have a very solid midfield and are no pushovers.

We (just) lost the clearances and contested possessions against the Hawks and won also. Recall Sam Mitchell in his post game saying it was a unusual to beat the Dogs in clearances/contested possessions and still lose the game.

Some of our other wins have also seen us win in these areas but not as much as we are used to based off previous years.

Definitely a very promising sign, particularly for our backline, they have been huge this season. We used to live and die only by our mids but our defenders have become a real crutch for the team this season.

It's surprising to me to see that we were beaten in clearance. It didn't feel like we were getting beaten in any area, such was our overall dominance. Do you happen to have the "post clearance contested possession" stat that coaches crave?
If you take the clearance differential (-11) and take it away from the contested possession differential (+35) you get somewhere in thr ballpark (+46). There's some repeat stoppages and clearances with multiple possessions beforehand, but these tend to even out, so the actual number wouldn't be far off that +46 number.

So true.. both my dog and 26 y.o cat did exactly that. It's their time, they don't know how traumatic it is for their owners, they just follow instinct.
They don’t “know”,; it’s just that the body’s systems wind down and stop operating, simply worn out due to the ageing process.

Great win bar the goal kicking, JJ is a big loss, 2 weeks in a row we played a man down by playing O’Donnell who is miles off it. That’s on Bevo and the MC, has to go next week. O’Brien in current form is a better option than Keith. Gardner’s best game for the club, Liam Jones is God
LOL always has to be one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today has been the worst day. My cat and best friend of 19 years, had been sick for the past week. So I went to take her to the vet for a check up and blood test only 10 minutes down the road today, to get answers to why she was sick and had stopped eating. But unknown to me, she passed away in the carrier on the way there. I was worried about stressing her out by placing her in a carrier, and thought to leave her in comfort and happiness on her blanket and have the vet come over instead. So I am feeling an intense level of guilt on top of grief, that I played a role in her ending by not trusting my instinct.

So at the start of the game, all I wanted was for the team to just win. I didn't care by how much. As long as the day wouldn't be any worse. Was surprised by the margin, but we got the win which is all the matters. Didn't expect us to control the game in the way that we did, Adelaide have been solid in their ball use and movement this season.

I thought it was a brilliant all round game, despite the frustration of missing shots at goal directly in front. How good has Smith been the past two weeks? The teams defensive structure the past 8 weeks? A massive improvement on last season. Macrae with not just the rare goal, but two of them. A big game by him as well in general. Good to see Dale back to his best as well. They smacked us in the hit outs, but did not do much with them. Keays and Dawson were quite this time around, after playing well vs us last time. Libba, Daniel all good, but to many contributors this week to name all of them.

Obviously we need to get back on top of clearances as I think we have lost them in recent weeks, and to tidy up the goal kicking. But we are 2 from 2, from what is an important five game run on our fixture of 8 point games.

Onto the Suns next weekend. Hopefully the rain stays away this time around.
Hope you are ok we lost our 15 and a half year old Jack Russell on Wednesday but her brother and I watched the mighty Bulldogs yesterday on our couch. Can’t replace the love of pet but you have the wonderful memories

As always...

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 98 / 85
AD: 51 / 40

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: +47 / +45

Centre Bounce Attendance
17 - Bontempelli
16 - English
15 - Liberatore, B. Smith
9 - Daniel
4 - Lobb, Macrae

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
90 - English (29 / 6 / 5)
20 - Lobb (3 / 1 / 1)
11 - Naughton (3 / 0 / 0)
1 - Ugle-Hagen (0 / 0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 7
AD: 17

English v O’Brien (68 contests)
Hitouts: 18 / 41
To Advantage: 3 / 11
Clearances: 24 / 27
Score: 1.4 (10) / 0.4 (4)

English v Himmelberg (22 contests)
Hitouts: 11 / 8
To Advantage: 3 / 0
Clearances: 8 / 8
Score: 0.2 (2) / 1.0 (6)

Lobb v O’Brien (20 contests)
Hitouts: 3 / 15
To Advantage: 1 / 5
Clearances: 5 / 10
Score: 1.0 (6) / 1.2 (8)

First Possessions
WB: 46

AD: 51

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 39 / 32
AD: 50 / 37

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 77%
AD: 67%

Smothers
WB: 11

AD: 10

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 42%
AD: 51%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 75%
AD: 63%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 3
AD: 2

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 4
AD: 3

Score Launches
4 - English, Williams
2 - Baker, Dale, Daniel, Liberatore, Macrae, O’Brien, Richards, B. Smith
1 - Gardner, A. Jones, L. Jones, Lobb, Naughton, Scott

Targets Inside 50

23 - No target/rushed
5 - Naughton
4 - Scott
3 - A. Jones, Ugle-Hagen, Weightman
2 - Lobb
1 - Daniel, McNeil, B. Smith

Shots At Goal
WB: 34 (32%)
AD: 18 (28%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Adelaide)
Set Shot: 6.6 / 3.4
Snap: 2.4 / 1.0
On Run: 3.7 / 1.4
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.1

0M-15M: 2.0 / 1.1
15M-30M: 4.2 / 0.1
31M-40M: 3.6 / 2.2
41M-50M: 2.5 / 2.3
51M+: 0.4 / 0.2

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 5.0 / 2.1
Scores In Time-On: 4.9 / 2.4
Scores Sourced From D50: 2.1 / 1.0

Score Assists
3 - Naughton
2 - Daniel, Liberatore, McNeil
1 - Baker, Bontempelli, Dale, Macrae, Richards, Scott, B. Smith, Ugle-Hagen

F50 Ground Ball Gets
WB: 33
AD: 10

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 22
AD: 19

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 5

AD: 7

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 14
AD: 29

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 43

AD: 44

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 12
AD: 19

Unforced Turnovers By Player
3 - Baker
2 - Duryea
1 - Dale, English, A. Jones, Naughton, Richards, Weightman, Williams

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 2

AD: 1

Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Bontempelli, Liberatore

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
145 - Macrae
144 - Daniel
141 - Dale
126 - Liberatore
121 - B. Smith
118 - English
112 - Bontempelli
108 - Naughton
107 - Williams
105 - Scott
75 - Weightman
73 - Gardner
70 - Richards
62 - L. Jones
62 - Duryea
62 - Lobb
61 - Baker
54 - Johannisen
53 - Ugle-Hagen
43 - O’Brien
27 - A. Jones
22 - McNeil
15 - O’Donnell

AFL Player Rating Points
20.1 - Daniel
18.7 - Macrae
17.5 - Dale
15.5 - Scott
14.7 - Naughton
13.3 - English
11.8 - B. Smith
11.1 - L. Jones
10.6 - Gardner
10.5 - Liberatore
9.0 - Weightman
7.8 - Lobb
7.2 - Duryea
7.0 - Bontempelli
6.1 - Williams
5.6 - O’Brien
4.7 - Baker
4.0 - Ugle-Hagen
4.0 - Johannisen
3.2 - O’Donnell
2.4 - McNeil
0.1 - A. Jones

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 73%
AD: 27%

Q2
WB: 52%
AD: 48%

Q3
WB: 56%
AD: 44%

Q4
WB: 41%
AD: 59%

Match
WB: 56%
AD: 44%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 198 (Above Average)
AD: 190 (Above Average)

Q2
WB: 201 (Elite)
AD: 178 (Below Average)

Q3
WB: 205 (Elite)
AD: 193 (Above Average)

Q4
WB: 185 (Average)
AD: 184 (Average)

Match
WB: 197 (Above Average)
AD: 187 (Average)

Pressure Points Per Player
64 - B. Smith
62 - Liberatore
55 - Bontempelli
55 - Daniel
42 - Macrae
39 - English
37 - Lobb
35 - A. Jones
32 - Weightman
30 - Williams
28 - Scott
22 - Naughton
20 - Richards
20 - Garnder
19 - Baker
16 - Duryea
14 - McNeil
13 - L. Jones
11 - O’Brien
10 - Dale
9 - Johannisen
5 - Ugle-Hagen
3 - O’Donnell

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1692601

Score Sources

Scores From Stoppages: 3.7 / 2.6
Scores From Turnovers: 7.12 / 2.4
Scores From Kick Ins: 1.0 / 1.0
Thanks as always OG.

If you're taking requests, I have two for you.

1) When was the last time we lost clearances by more than 10 and yet won the game by more than 5 goals? (I would love to know how we pulled that off.)
2) How are those kicking efficiency stats now looking for the season and for yesterday amongst our mids compared to last year? At the start of the season it was a huge issue. I wonder if that has been remedied somewhat.

Thanks!

_Cerberus_ Don't know if this will help but when animals stop eating particularly at that age it is a sign that they know their death is imminent. It just seems to be a natural reaction, for them to stop eating shortly before passing.
So in all probability the carrier probably made next too no difference to your cat actually passing. It was going to occur regardless of what you did.
Don't beat yourself up over it , it was just your cat's time. You did what you thought best and you can't be blamed for that.
Having said that it is never easy to lose a beloved pet my commiserations to you on thos sad occasion 😢
💯 right mate our Jack Russell was the same

What is the AFL record for highest percentage of behinds over scoring shots? Do we hold the record or do we still have work to do there? Can we beat Norf 106-27 while only kicking 1 goal?
We well and truly kicked 22 behinds yesterday and all of them were in the fruit loop colours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back