Club Legend
Mar 21, 2014
SA Great
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brøndby IF, Adelaide City FC
Just read that Port are doing a deal with St Kilda for O'Shea.. :(

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-trade-to-giants/story-fnca0u4y-1227083058182

'As Port Adelaide and St Kilda were still negotiating over a deal that would lead to Power defender Cameron O’Shea moving to the Saints, Geelong’s Varcoe was weighing up his possible shift to Collingwood after being offered a three-year deal by West Coast and North Melbourne.'

Despite the sad new.. got me wondering if the well wishing of Richo heading that way last season has earned us some favour on the trade table - meaning - we might get a good deal for him.

Speculation - This deal might get us some help getting Ryder.

Essendon want players for Ryder, but trying to sell Essendon to a player would be as difficult as a door to door salesman trying to sell front doors.. So Port trying to get another reasonable pick (pick 22?) makes sense, as picks 17 and 22 for Ryder should be okay.

The other thing is it could be part of a three way trade with Gold Coast with Gorringe going to Port..

Not O'Shizzy...I've always been a big fan of the Fridge. Right back to when I first watched him play in 2011. He has become surplus to needs recently with Hombsch nailing down a first 22 spot. Hopefully we get well compensated because he has the potential to be the best intercept marker in the game.

Essendon want players for Ryder, but trying to sell Essendon to a player would be as difficult as a door to door salesman trying to sell front doors.. So Port trying to get another reasonable pick (pick 22?) makes sense, as picks 17 and 22 for Ryder should be okay.

The other thing is it could be part of a three way trade with Gold Coast with Gorringe going to Port..

17 and 22 could work unless Essendon somehow want Gary Ablett snr and jnr for Ryder instead.
Hoping will trade 37 to Gold Coast for Gorringe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can replace him. And this season certainly increased his value. I'd swap for the orange, but wouldn't add to pick 17 for ryder

I just have a sneaky feeling that Gold Coast are in a good position to make a play for Pick 1, as Saints have stated publicly that they want 3 picks inside the first 20 picks as per last year.

Port Get Gorringe and lose O'Shea
Saints Get Pick 8, Pick 15 and O'Shea and lose Pick 1
GCS get Pick 1 and lose Gorringe, Pick 8 and Pick 15.

Or something like thst

Unless he's homesick which i doubt considering he extended his contract this year why the **** would he want to go to St. Kilda? He's been through the hard times here jeez asking for more.
I know he may have been tapped on the shoulder but i would think tough sell to a contracted player.

Still not believing this until I see it. Even if O'Shea did want out, why the * would he go to St Kilda?

That said, if our trade week consisted of 17 + 37 + O'Shea for Ryder and Gorringe, I could live with that. Not sure he's best 22 if Carlile, Hombsch and Trengove are all in the side and the addition of a ruck/forward means that Trengove isn't needed elsewhere. Would probably require us getting #21 from the Saints, trading #21 and #37 to the Dogs for #26 and #27, then #17 and #26 for Ryder and #27 for Gorringe.

EDIT: I feel I should clarify, this is only if Cam genuinely wants out. No Bernie Vince style shoulder taps for contracted players for us. If that means we miss out on somebody like Gorringe (I'm confident we'll get Ryder one way or the other with or without a trade), so be it.

Last edited:
Still not believing this until I see it. Even if O'Shea did want out, why the **** would he go to St Kilda?

That said, if our trade week consisted of 17 + 37 + O'Shea for Ryder and Gorringe, I could live with that. Not sure he's best 22 if Carlile, Hombsch and Trengove are all in the side and the addition of a ruck/forward means that Trengove isn't needed elsewhere.

O'Shea can play back flank/wing etc
Most likely Moore would be pushed out of the side. (Which could hurt our midfield rotations unless Broady is given more time there)

I know every so often you have to sacrifice someone for a gain but this one if true could upset a few in the group.
If he doesn't want to leave The "We need someone to take a bullet for the team" convo ouch.

You don't trade first 22, or even 25, who don't want to leave the club. That is how we kept our guys like Trengove and Boak around in the dark days. Stick with us and we stick with you, it is that simple. We aren't going to retain as many young players from away if we start doing this s**t. Not at all keen. * Ryder, would rather re-rookie Renouf if we are that desperate and keep the current unit together. Maybe even throw the camries #16 for Sam Jacobs.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

If true about Cam, suspect what 'Fest has said is true - Trengove will play more in back line and less as ruck support, and with Clurey in the wings, O'Shea becomes a luxury (or Clurey does). O'Shea may have been told his first team action will be reliant on injuries if we land Ryder, whereas he would almost lead the Saints defence with Fisher.

Seems like a journo getting 'news' from bigfooty two months ago

I'd prefer he stays. Solid enough player. Probably mostly depth, but we need that. If he wants other opportunities I can understand it.

We used pick 50-odd to get him and he is far better than that. Should be worth a late second/early third round pick.

Or Riewoldt. We'll take him.

Still not believing this until I see it. Even if O'Shea did want out, why the **** would he go to St Kilda?

That said, if our trade week consisted of 17 + 37 + O'Shea for Ryder and Gorringe, I could live with that. Not sure he's best 22 if Carlile, Hombsch and Trengove are all in the side and the addition of a ruck/forward means that Trengove isn't needed elsewhere. Would probably require us getting #21 from the Saints, trading #21 and #37 to the Dogs for #26 and #27, then #17 and #26 for Ryder and #27 for Gorringe.

EDIT: I feel I should clarify, this is only if Cam genuinely wants out. No Bernie Vince style shoulder taps for contracted players for us. If that means we miss out on somebody like Gorringe (I'm confident we'll get Ryder one way or the other with or without a trade), so be it.
I really don't see the need for us to lose O'Shea unless he wants out also.
We should be ruthless about taking advantage of the Ryder situation without losing a player of Cam's quality.
Re getting Gorringe, I'd rather we keep O'Shea actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back