Cameron Ling doesn't rate Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Ling tagged them both, i remember Ling saying just after he retired that Swan was the hardest bloke to tag he played on, make of that what you will, Swan is massively underrated around here.
Yeah but breaking a tag isn't everything. Leadership's also got to be a part of the equation when assessing the top players and Voss had that in spades over Swan (and most of the others in Ling's list). Leadership can elevate good players to great players - Exhibit A: Luke Hodge.

People can forget just how good Vos was. Despite the Lions having AKA, Lappin, Hart, Black, Power etc... when Voss didn't play it was viewed as Lions would struggle to win. I remember no voss no lions opinions back in the day. Guy was a gun

Listen to Browny on the subject ..... :thumbsu: Vossy.

In a thread full of laughable statements this takes the cake.

Bucks is widely acknowledged as one of the best kicks of all time. Voss, despite his many fantastic attributes, does not get near Bucks on kicking ability.
Buckley was over rated for his kicking. Those who consider him an elite kick, just did not take enough notice.

He was very good on both sides, but nowhere near the kicking ability of a few ordinary footballers. Lindsay Gilbee was infinitely better with footskills and so was Leon Cameron. Steele Sidebottom is also better.

Bobby Skilton and Jason Akermanis well also vastly superior by foot on both sides.

Voss was a very good kick, but unfortunately his footskills diminished later in his career due to injury.

Voss was one of the most courageous players and played team football.
Buckley padded stats with his frequent give and get plays.

Gets asked for an opinion, gives it around 3 minutes of thought, gives his opinion and stands by for the haters to hate.

If it's not ling being asked his opinion, he's just going to be replaced by another flog, giving his 2 bobs worth, in which his views will also attract the warriors to go to town.
#Hidingtonothing#nochance

Got a question for Collingwood fans. Just wanted to know who would you rather out of Swan and pendles?? I'm a massive fan of both, but seeing as though lingy left pendles out and put swan in, just like to get the fans thoughts

Cheers

Buckley was over rated for his kicking. Those who consider him an elite kick, just did not take enough notice.

He was very good on both sides, but nowhere near the kicking ability of a few ordinary footballers. Lindsay Gilbee was infinitely better with footskills and so was Leon Cameron. Steele Sidebottom is also better.

Bobby Skilton and Jason Akermanis well also vastly superior by foot on both sides.

Voss was a very good kick, but unfortunately his footskills diminished later in his career due to injury.

Voss was one of the most courageous players and played team football.
Buckley padded stats with his frequent give and get plays.

You have the gall to suggest people haven't been playing close enough attention and then say that Steele is a better kick than Buckley. :drunk:

Criticising Bucks' kicking is like saying Plugger would have been a great player if he'd only managed to kick a few goals, or that the only thing holding Joel Selwood back is that the umpires won't give him a fair go.

You have the gall to suggest people haven't been playing close enough attention and then say that Steele is a better kick than Buckley. :drunk:

Criticising Bucks' kicking is like saying Plugger would have been a great player if he'd only managed to kick a few goals, or that the only thing holding Joel Selwood back is that the umpires won't give him a fair go.
I have not really criticised his kicking, just the over rating by so many. Buckley was a very good kick, but there simply have been plenty of better kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are some very simple people on this forum.

The context was 'Best midfielders since 2000'. You therefore have to consider their body of work since 2000 only.

Those that just have to be included in the top 10 are Ablett Jr, Judd, Black, Goodes, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury and J. Selwood. It opens up after that, and only then can you start considering the likes of Voss, Buckley, Riccuito and Cousins given you're only taking into account the second halves of their careers.

There are some very simple people on this forum.

The context was 'Best midfielders since 2000'. You therefore have to consider their body of work since 2000 only.

Those that just have to be included in the top 10 are Ablett Jr, Judd, Black, Goodes, Mitchell, Swan, Pendlebury and J. Selwood. It opens up after that, and only then can you start considering the likes of Voss, Buckley, Riccuito and Cousins given you're only taking into account the second halves of their careers.

I guess being 4 time aflpa captain of the year in the 2000s and being a 3 time premiership captain in said period while dominating the midfield doesnt cut it.

He well and truly covers selwood and pendlebury in this time alone.

I guess being 4 time aflpa captain of the year in the 2000s and being a 3 time premiership captain in said period while dominating the midfield doesnt cut it.

He well and truly covers selwood and pendlebury in this time alone.
As I said, some very simple people...

Don't be mistaken, I am a massive fan of Voss, but he played for seven years in the time period being referred to, his last three years nowhere near his best - I know Brownlow votes aren't the be all and end all but he amassed only 23 votes between 2004 and 2006.

Got a question for Collingwood fans. Just wanted to know who would you rather out of Swan and pendles?? I'm a massive fan of both, but seeing as though lingy left pendles out and put swan in, just like to get the fans thoughts

Cheers
Line ball right now, but Pendles just sneaking past him and may eek out another Copeland or two by the time he's done.

A bunch of morons talking down some great players.

Calling Voss overrated is disgusting. Also saying Buckley wasn't an elite kick is proof you weren't watching footy then. I'd be willing to bet that 60% of posts bagging these legends are from guys under 20 who wouldn't have even watched these guys play. Again, morons.

Gets asked for an opinion, gives it around 3 minutes of thought, gives his opinion and stands by for the haters to hate.

If it's not ling being asked his opinion, he's just going to be replaced by another flog, giving his 2 bobs worth, in which his views will also attract the warriors to go to town.
#Hidingtonothing#nochance
And it wouldn't be focussed on if he didn't have history for it. He's proven himself perfectly capable of making terrible calls irrespective of the time he's been given to make them.

Angst aimed at Ling is in a way representative of the average punters' boredom with the quality of TV commentary we have these days, in both AFL and cricket, particularly now Cometti is gone and the Clinton Grybas' of the world have been replaced by your Jonathon Browns. In a way this is a symptom of the work performed by the AFLPA to ensure players have a career after football, and I get it, but it can be grating that these opportunities seem to be handed out to guys like Ling with no real redeeming qualities as a commentator outside of "he's a good footballer and a good bloke (probably).

Well power09 said this in the Joel Selwood appreciation thread:

Joel is like Nathan Jones (which is very good, but far from top 5 this century) but had the privilege of playing with other star players his entire career, except when one year when he was the primary mid and Geelong finished 10th.

So I guess he is a moron?

Well he didn't say he was s**t did he?

Did Voss and Ling ever play against each other?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back