Can Fyfe win the Coleman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of people don’t have you in the 8. The squiggle has you guys 10th this year, King’s a stats man. It’s not the end of the world.
I didn't say it was, just commenting that he doesn't like us, for all I know he gets all his data off the squiggle.

The squiggle had us 15th last year and it was 9-10 spots off. I'll be happy if its out by that much again.

Righto then.

Every website has him at 192cm except zero hanger which says 194.

I'm willing to accept the 192 might just come from his draft year and he grew a bit after that?

He's certainly not a monster and his key attributes are agility and running endurance.

Definitely 194cm. He's been listed at that height for the past 18 months.
Not that it sounds like much but a couple of my friends are 196cm & 193cm and you can certainly notice the difference.

jim boy post #6
Meh - I'll own that. I did mean that Cotchin would probably be something like 8-1 to kick more goals than Fyfe, who is a 100-1 to win the coleman, but f**k it - I predict Cotchin will kick more goals (although bugger all really) than the injury prone Fyfe who'll probably tear a hammy the first time he goes for a leap.

Meh - I'll own that. I did mean that Cotchin would probably be something like 8-1 to kick more goals than Fyfe, who is a 100-1 to win the coleman, but f**k it - I predict Cotchin will kick more goals (although bugger all really) than the injury prone Fyfe who'll probably tear a hammy the first time he goes for a leap.
Wow, classy post

Bolton is my smokey, 43 goals 41 behinds turns that into 60 goals 24 behinds and he has the award

Maybe, but he gets that many shots by taking a lot of shots others wouldn't (due to angle, pressure, ego etc.). With that in mind, his conversion rate is already pretty good.

Wow, classy post

Not that bad.

There is a difference between wishing injury on someone (obviously bad) and pointing out that someone has a bad recent record with injury (injury prone), and as such is more likely than most to be out injury, which in the contention here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every year scrolling through Sportsbet's Coleman odds you see the usual 'Eddie Betts - $20' and roll your eyes.

No non-key forward has won the Coleman in at least 40 years, and for the longest time it hasn't really looked like a trend that could ever be broken.

But enter Toby Greene, an uber prolific midfielder fashioned into a small forward, who proceeds to lead the competition in shots on goal in 2021. Theoretically he has shown that someone not recognised as a key forward could win a Coleman.

But it won't be your standard small. It will be a player whose football nous is through the roof proven by their history as a bigtime accumulator of the ball when playing further up the ground which is then parlayed into being arguably the biggest threat in the forwardline when the ball is on the ground.

But where Greene would differ from other smalls is he also had the aerial presence of a key-forward - or at least very close to.

A player who could bridge the gap with key forwards by being able to make up for not having the utter dominance when the ball was in the air, by almost equally dominating when the ball was in play on the ground.

Watching the pre-season games, and knowing his history Fyfe seems to meet this rarely met criteria.

If his shoulders hold up, does he win the Coleman?

Does he win next year, or at some point before he retires?

Of course he could do what Gary Ablett Senior did, where he is regarded at the end of his career as an actual key-forward, who we just never knew was one until he was really played there.
Eddie might be a bit short at 20s this year

Yep, i'd say as a forward he is equivalent to Jack Silvagni.

Jack will kick slightly less goals this season because he is competing with two Coleman level forwards whereas Fyfe is not, but if Silvagni were playing for Fremantle he would easily outscore Fyfe.
I’m not sure Silvagni would even get a game for Fremantle, let alone easily outscore Fyfe.

If he gets 150 shots at goal he should end up with about 60 so he'd be a chance but i can't see him getting that many shots.

It’ll be like it is every year and come from a big forward like the Cameron, Hawkins, Lynch, Curnow, Mackay or similar type players. When was the last time a non genuine key/tall forward won it?
Malcolm Blight in 1982 or Leigh Matthews in 1975.

Ablett wasn't that tall either but probably played like a true key position player. Was close to 100kg as well.

Injury free and plonked in forward 50 yeah why not, problem is he won’t be.

Coleman doesn’t hold the lustre it used to have IMO, more a team sport now, not sure who I’m going, won’t be anyone from Collingwood that for sure due to our structure and how we play, Curnow would be favourite I’m guessing.

If Richmond play Martin in the forward line that might make things interesting, thing is though, if he’s playing well they won’t be able to resist moving him up the ground, as a stay at home forward he’s kicking 60 min.

If the Coleman is changed to some other category then yes.

Coleman is a huge ask, I think he can be a 2-3 goal player though. 40 plus for the year if he stays forward.

If Richmond play Martin in the forward line that might make things interesting, thing is though, if he’s playing well they won’t be able to resist moving him up the ground, as a stay at home forward he’s kicking 60 min.

I think Hardwick has been clear for a while now that he doesn't tell Dusty where to play and instead just trusts him to go where ever he feels he'd be most useful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back