Can Fyfe win the Coleman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is at least half of the games.

So the defenders go down to set up, they see Fyfe. Who else do they see in the Freo forward line that requires minding first?
Regardless of Tabs fitness, I can guarantee you we will be playing 2x 195cm players down there. (Take your pick from Jackson, Taberner Treacy or Amiss), and if you were also a defender that is 195cm or taller, you'd go to them first.
I don't reckon tall guys will go to Fyfe, they'd nullify him in the air but not at ground level. It's why you don't see really tall defenders going to Heeney.

Regardless of Tabs fitness, I can guarantee you we will be playing 2x 195cm players down there. (Take your pick from Jackson, Taberner Treacy or Amiss), and if you were also a defender that is 195cm or taller, you'd go to them first.
I don't reckon tall guys will go to Fyfe, they'd nullify him in the air but not at ground level. It's why you don't see really tall defenders going to Heeney.

Jackson is not a key forward. Treacy and Amiss are not proven AFL key forwards either. They all have potential in that role.

We shall see how it plays out.

Jackson is not a key forward. Treacy and Amiss are not proven AFL key forwards either. They all have potential in that role.

We shall see how it plays out.
It doesn't take away from my point that you rarely see tall defenders go to Fyfe. Defensively, they just wouldn't be the best match up. Fyfe might get beaten in the air but would be too agile once the ball hits the deck. Someone like a Tom Jonas, who actually did match up on Fyfe in the pre-season, will be who goes to him. (Jonas is 188cm).

It doesn't take away from my point that you rarely see tall defenders go to Fyfe. Defensively, they just wouldn't be the best match up. Fyfe might get beaten in the air but would be too agile once the ball hits the deck. Someone like a Tom Jonas, who actually did match up on Fyfe in the pre-season, will be who goes to him. (Jonas is 188cm).

This thread is talking about Fyfe playing as a permanent forward in the coming season though, not resting down there like he has in the past.

We shall see how it plays, but one comment I would make about the air v ground as a Geelong supporter that has seen us prioritise one area over the other for a long time. If you win in the air the ball doesn't wind up on the deck.

This thread is talking about Fyfe playing as a permanent forward in the coming season though, not resting down there like he has in the past.

We shall see how it plays, but one comment I would make about the air v ground as a Geelong supporter that has seen us prioritise one area over the other for a long time. If you win in the air the ball doesn't wind up on the deck.
The thread is about whether Fyfe can win a coleman. Your argument is that he will have less chance because tall defenders will be sent to him. My argument is that if tall defenders were sent to him, he'd have more of a chance. (However slim that chance would be). Anyway, let's see how it plays out.

You don't have to tell us twice. I still get nightmares of Harry Taylor taking 15 uncontested marks in one home and away game years back.

Not until he gets a set shot kicking coach to sort out his yips.

Its pretty much the only part of his game that isnt elite.

Medium defenders such as Duggan or Rotham types to run with him. Clubs wont play their key defenders on him.

Relying on dominating in the air doesnt win finals as the pressure is intense, the ball hits the ground more often and winning contested loose ball becomes paramount. Your forwards can't mark it if the opposition mids are winning the loose ball and kicking it the other way.

I dont believe Geelong prioritised one over the other, they are equally as important come finals against quality opposition.

Flat track bully games, sure tall forwards look a million dollars.

Given his age and injury history, you couldn't have any confidence he will play more than 18 of the 23 games this year. Even in the unlikely event he averages 3 goals per game that's only a mid to low 50 total. Hard to believe one or more of Cameron, Lynch and quite possibly both Curnow and McKay don't surpass that level.

Given his age and injury history, you couldn't have any confidence he will play more than 18 of the 23 games this year. Even in the unlikely event he averages 3 goals per game that's only a mid to low 50 total. Hard to believe one or more of Cameron, Lynch and quite possibly both Curnow and McKay don't surpass that level.
This is a reasonable argument, but we might just have a historically low coleman this year. At 100 to 1 odds or whatever it is, it's not the worst bet in the world. (If he does play all year down there).

If I was an opposition coach I'd be real worried every time there was Freo forward line ball up and Fyfe was lurking in the area. He won't win the Coleman, but I'll put money on him being near the top for goal assists (if there is such a thing).

Yeah, he's not going to win it, 50 goals would be his max for the year if everything went right including getting rid of the yips. He might get 2-4 goals on a lot of games but occasionally he will miss a game or get 1 or none. He's not going to get bags of 6 or more that make up for the down weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see him winning the Coleman, but jeez I hope he plays a full year and gets back to close to his best (even if it’s in a different position).

Bloke is a champion, and the more we see of him before his career is up, the better.

He's a champion and, arguably, one of those players who will be forgotten too quickly once it's over because he lacks a signature moment in a Grand Final.

He reminds me so much of Buddha Hocking; a heart-and-soul player.

But the Coleman playing forward? His kicking for goal is poor. Reality is what it is ... I'd take Stengle over him any day.

Remember when those people said Fyfe would be better than Jack Silvagni as a forward. Jack didn't even have a notable game and has still done more than Fyfe has done against a St Kilda side which has a bunch of VFL KPDs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back