Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think that we are quite happy with how Scully is progressing so far - I certainly wasn't expecting him to be training as much as he has

Scrimshaw and Wingard have both settled in really well at the club too

I'm sure that news will delight all the regular posters in this thread

Think that we are quite happy with how Scully is progressing so far - I certainly wasn't expecting him to be training as much as he has

Thanks for the update MightyHawks

Always thrilled to hear positive news on Hawthorn

While that may be true, I expect you will find that all of the traded players have settled in really well at their new clubs, and those that came with injuries are tracking ahead of expectations - the 4 blokes we got are all cracking blokes who are setting the standard, bringing fresh new perspectives, and already making life long besties, love the new coaching staff etc etc. oh, and Hogan is ahead of where we thought and could play round 1. ;)

While that may be true, I expect you will find that all of the traded players have settled in really well at their new clubs, and those that came with injuries are tracking ahead of expectations - the 4 blokes we got are all cracking blokes who are setting the standard, bringing fresh new perspectives, and already making life long besties, love the new coaching staff etc etc. oh, and Hogan is ahead of where we thought and could play round 1. ;)

No idea if your Freo news is true, and I am delighted for you if it is true

But...
- Note: This was an opinion - "I think". I know we were happy in the first few weeks. As he has been doing more at training than I would have thought he would have at this stage, I believe that we would still happy with how Scully has been progressing, but I still wanted to qualify my sentence with "I think"
This is a factual statement. Notice the lack of the words "I think" in this sentence. They both have settled in really well at the club and had great experiences on Kokoda.
Again this is my opinion, there might be some regular posters in the thread who aren't delighted, but deep down they will probably be secretly excited about it

We’ve basically dominated the competition for 7 or so years. Instead of falling into oblivion we finish top 4 again. We also ended Richmond. Yeah they won but we ended them and they should have won the flag. Then we get better again this draft and people doubt Clarko.

Lol you morons.
How exactly did Hawthorn see off the tigers?

I thought that was Collingwood

We’ve basically dominated the competition for 7 or so years. Instead of falling into oblivion we finish top 4 again. We also ended Richmond. Yeah they won but we ended them and they should have won the flag. Then we get better again this draft and people doubt Clarko.

Lol you morons.
First of all, it was 3 years in a row not 7, being also rans doesnt mean any more than any other also ran.

Secondly, the Tigers and then Demons dismantled the Hawks in finals.

Thirdly, you look to have improved on paper with Wingard, but booted out your most promising youngster in Burton in the process. Then you put stock in an unproved kid and an extremely badly injured Scully.
You'll be praying Jaeger's knees dont go pop again too for the next decade.

Hawthorn aren't a serious threat for the flag in 2019.

First of all, it was 3 years in a row not 7, being also rans doesnt mean any more than any other also ran.

Secondly, the Tigers and then Demons dismantled the Hawks in finals.

Thirdly, you look to have improved on paper with Wingard, but booted out your most promising youngster in Burton in the process. Then you put stock in an unproved kid and an extremely badly injured Scully.
You'll be praying Jaeger's knees dont go pop again too for the next decade.

Hawthorn aren't a serious threat for the flag in 2019.
As u say being an also ran doesnt mean more than any other also ran

He's had less exposure to AFL, but on exposed form in the VFL he's kicked more goals this season than McKay has in 3 years of VFL footy and in less games.
Sounds like Box Hill have a cracking player for the future. I would at least wait until he kicked a goal in the AFL before making any grand predictions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Burton was our most promising youngster we don’t trade him.

It’s that simple, juss.
2 years ago, Hawthorn supporters were calling Burton one of the most exciting prospects they've ever drafted.

Since then he's come 2nd in the Rising Star (losing to a much better player, so no shame in that) and, while his 2018 wasn't great, was looking like he could develop into a really nice player. Pretty bold of Hawthorn to just give up on him and send him packing for a player like Wingard.

Clarko showed how you do the draft path if you're going that way - get multiple picks in the top ten a few years in a row knowing for every Buddy, Lewis and Hodge there's Thorpes and Dowlers.

He's also the master of not only identifying talent not being best used where it is he knows would thrive in his system - Hale, Lake - but he's shown the baws to trade hard for top line talent like Burgoyne and Mitchell.

Having made them a club players want to go to, he has the luxury of picking and choosing.

As long as Clarkson is there, Hawthorn will be bringing in talent they rate, whether it comes from the draft or other clubs is immaterial.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Clarkson trade hard for a high pick if there was a kid he really wanted.

Blake Hardwick finished 2nd in the Hawk's best and fairest. Ryan Burton finished 18th.
James Sicily was a certainty for AA until his injury. They were/are the most promising "youngsters" on the Hawks' list,
not Burton.
Didn’t Burton finish 4th in the BnF and win the most promising player award in 2017!?

So if Hardwick has a quiet year in 2019, Hawk fans will be happy to see him traded out?

Lol you morons.

Haha yeah the Hawks ended Richmond. Yes yes sure they did. Whatever that means.

Now run along insecure little boy and let the grown ups have an adult discussion.

Lol

Finished top 4 last season?

Nothing like rewriting history to prove your point

I thought a combination of the sniffles and a sore knee is what finished the Tigers!?
Apparently one player had the shits leading up to the game (an excuse IMO) and by half-time they had all well and truly s**t themselves!! ...and no, it wasn't because that one player had contaminated the dressing room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back