Brownlow Can The Bont Bring Charlie Home

Remove this Banner Ad

If our ruck stocks weren't deplorable Bont probably wins.

Petracca and Oliver have Gawn 100% of the time. 50% of the time we had Jordan Sweet and Lewis Young as our number one ruck.

They still don’t outpoll Bont with Gawn.

Bont had a s**t finish to the year and it cost him a Brownlow. No one else to blame but himself.

Doesn’t matter though. Still comfortably the best player in the comp. Plus, he’ll be hungry to make up for tonight’s loss next Saturday.

Silver lining!!

Expected score had us losing by 20 points and we were -8 for clearances, -7 for inside 50s, -8 for shots.

Like I said, what ever the expected score was from those stats… in reality we lost by 2. But even if we had have lost by the expected score, you can find a 1 vote in there for the Bullies in a 20 point lose.

one of these is a record setting & equaling Brownlow medallist, the other got less votes than Callum Mills, Ben Cunnington and Jacob Hopper

View attachment 1240390

View attachment 1240391
No Dogs fan is really complaining. By virtue of consistency of how often he wins the ball, he's in the 4th-15th best player on the park virtually every game while that's not true for the players more consistently in the 1-3. More ways than one to help your team win games.

one of these is a record setting & equaling Brownlow medallist, the other got less votes than Callum Mills, Ben Cunnington and Jacob Hopper

View attachment 1240390

View attachment 1240391

Amazing. Seems the whole industry outside of our club and supporters take him for granted. Already one of the best I've ever seen - and he's playing alongside Bont!

Wines seems like an excellent bloke, very classy speech.

Disappointed for Bont but Wines absolutely a worthy and deserving winner.
He was brought up right. He was a good kid when he was a youngster and he really doesn’t seem to have changed. Well deserved win and so happy for him and for my hometown.
Bont would have deserved it too though.

So Wines' career will end up spluttering out at Tullamarine - but at least he'll have the comfort of spongey floors?! :D
After listening to Wines impressive speech, I think you will find he is a different person to Cooney. An impressive person who conveyed his loyalty to the club and what it has provided for h8mself.

Couldnt say that about Cooney.

View attachment 1240390

View attachment 1240391

I get it, but if Wines and Macrae had swopped teams at the start of the season Macrae would be a Brownlow medallist and Wines would be playing alongside Bont in a GF.

I know where Jacko wants to be.

They still don’t outpoll Bont with Gawn.

Bont had a sh*t finish to the year and it cost him a Brownlow. No one else to blame but himself.

Doesn’t matter though. Still comfortably the best player in the comp. Plus, he’ll be hungry to make up for tonight’s loss next Saturday.

Silver lining!!
Interesting perspective that there is no one else to blame but himself.

The team had a shocking finish and Bont spent a lot more time forward particularly in the last 2 games.

Maybe he sacrificed his game to try for the wins after Bruce went down.

It is an individual award, but I know which individual I want running out for us in the last game of the year. Given the choice I am pretty sure I know what medal he would prefer too as any player would prefer the one up for grabs next Saturday

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Treloar & Dunks as early vote takers= Drives Bont on the big show! Macrae, continues on what he does best

After listening to Wines impressive speech, I think you will find he is a different person to Cooney. An impressive person who conveyed his loyalty to the club and what it has provided for h8mself.

Couldnt say that about Cooney.

Yeah, I rate Wines, was just an opening for a throwaway joke. In fact was more a comment on Cooney, but maybe I should have phrased it differently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think Bont is hard done by. Oliver was more disadvantaged playing alongside Gawn and Petracca, than Bont was with the umpires virtually ignoring Jacko.

Macrae is tough, hard and courageous, has amazing hands and his kicking inside 50 has gone to a new level over the last two years. If he ever starts getting the recognition he deserves it'll make it tough for Bont to win one.

Interesting perspective that there is no one else to blame but himself.

The team had a shocking finish and Bont spent a lot more time forward particularly in the last 2 games.

Maybe he sacrificed his game to try for the wins after Bruce went down.

It is an individual award, but I know which individual I want running out for us in the last game of the year. Given the choice I am pretty sure I know what medal he would prefer too as any player would prefer the one up for grabs next Saturday

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I said isn’t at all a negative. Players poor form is their own responsibility. Whether it be bodies letting them down, fatigue or just general bad form, they can’t blame anyone but themselves for low output.

Bont spent plenty of time playing his usual role in the latter stages of the season, but his form was lower than prior.

He missed out because he didn’t poll enough. Nothing nasty about it. Doesn’t make him a lesser player and one I wouldn’t want running out this Saturday.

For 40 years the highlight of my season was the the brownlow hoping we'd poll top 10.

My disinterest this season is a testament to where we now stand as a club.
I was going to post something similar. We’ve produced plenty of Brownlow medalists over the years but who wouldn’t have traded a few of those for a premiership medallion.

Funny Jake stringer hardly polled - wasn’t he the best player in the comp for half a year according to the Herald Don?

So here's the 2012 draft. Did we get it right? Wines was supposed to be under serious consideration by Dalrymple at the time and I think Macartney liked him because he could crack in.

1632054336652.png

In 2015 I'd have said yes we nailed it without a doubt. Probably the same in 2016 but I was starting to have doubts.

Now without question I'd go 5 - Macrae then 6 - Wines.

Would I still want Macrae ahead of Wines? Yes, I would but I've got to say there's not much in it. Wines has had a fantastic year but over their careers Macrae has probably had better form. From almost the same number of games he leads Wines on most of the standard stats ... but not on CPs, CMs or scores. Before 2021 Macrae had 81 Brownlow votes from 159 games and Wines had 71 votes from 158 games. We may have got just as good a return if we'd chosen Wines ahead of Macrae, but either way both clubs did very well from that top 10.

The big fails in that top 10 were GWS (as usual) with O'Rourke and Plowman, Melbourne (Toumpas), maybe Brisbane (Mayes) and also Essendon (Daniher, who looked a rolled gold bargain and a 200 game player at the time, and did so until 2017).

We should probably be grateful that Melbourne and GWS were rumoured to have done a slimy deal so that the Dees could get Viney at pick 26. If they'd been forced to use pick 4 for Viney we could have been lured into taking Toumpas instead of Macrae. A sliding doors moment perhaps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back