Remove this Banner Ad

swans4eva

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Who will be your captain this week?

I have started this thread early because from a quick glance at the draw and many popular player's history's at that ground or against that club it throws up a tough one.

Collingwood and St Kilda at the MCG should turn a few off Swan with a not great record against both the Saints or at the MCG... Same goes for Goddard and Monty.

My personal selection will most probably be Bartel... has a good record against the Crows and almost guarantees you a century. Although I'd hate to start my weekend with a poor captain choice on the Friday night.

Who will be your captain this week?

I have started this thread early because from a quick glance at the draw and many popular player's history's at that ground or against that club it throws up a tough one.

Collingwood and St Kilda at the MCG should turn a few off Swan with a not great record against both the Saints or at the MCG... Same goes for Goddard and Monty.

My personal selection will most probably be Bartel... has a good record against the Crows and almost guarantees you a century. Although I'd hate to start my weekend with a poor captain choice on the Friday night.

Tough round to pick captain, my options are ablett, goddard, boyd or hodge(against brisbane). Boyd & Goddard in better form then Ablett.

Also agree though bout captain on Friday night, it can ruin a weekend.
Boyd in Darwin though may not do as well because of the heat and may get rested more on the bench compared to games played elsewhere?

Hodge played well last time in tassie.

Stanton (c) :rolleyes:

Essendon v West Coast (Etihad Stadium)

Would it be dumb or brave? I'm well aware of how ordinary his form has been...

Ablett for me I think, ahead of bartel.

Swan, Montagna or boyd the other options. But Gary seems to step it up against he crows.

As much as Swan will most likely do fine on the MCG, he is playing St Kilda and I don't want to be going for him.
Can't trust Stanton, Bartel will probably do good but I really don't trust him as a captain. Different role now and he's hurt me before.
Think I'll go Monty except can anyone remember why he didn't do that well against Collingwood earlier this year? My mind was on other things in that game.

One thing to consider... while Hodgey is a gun, Mitchell is back in so that might mean Hodge wont spend as much time in the middle?
But also, Sewell was dropped :)eek:) so Hodge might just stay in the midfield with Sammy... hmm.

I cant decide out of Montagna or Boyd.. miss those days when I dont have to worry and just give it to Ablett, lol.

As much as Swan will most likely do fine on the MCG, he is playing St Kilda and I don't want to be going for him.
Can't trust Stanton, Bartel will probably do good but I really don't trust him as a captain. Different role now and he's hurt me before.
Think I'll go Monty except can anyone remember why he didn't do that well against Collingwood earlier this year? My mind was on other things in that game.

Monty had 25 possies last time against the pies and 106 DT points, not a massive score by his high standards but still respectable. According to FanFooty he had a knee problem during that match but played on which might have meant his game time was limited.

Sam Gilbert playing Collingwood, yes please.

Averages 115 in his last 4 against us and 152 in round 3 earlier this year....

Good stats, but IMO making an out-and-out defender as captain carries plenty of downside risk and marginal upside risk, compared with the elite mids.

Joel Selwoods record against the Crows is probably worth mentioning. Only 3 games but with scores of 104, 104 and 118 could be a unique choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing to consider... while Hodgey is a gun, Mitchell is back in so that might mean Hodge wont spend as much time in the middle?
didnt seem to make any difference last week; mitchell was out, hodge played on ball and didn't score anything fantastic. Although he was playing on Ling so it was expcted.

Stanton (c) :rolleyes:

Essendon v West Coast (Etihad Stadium)

Would it be dumb or brave? I'm well aware of how ordinary his form has been...

Not so sure - hasn't been in great form, and Scott Selwood has been in pretty good form shutting blokes down - last week was the first time anyone's got off his leash in the past couple of months from memory.

Kept Ablett to his lowest possession count, stopped Montagna etc

Ablett for me I think, ahead of bartel.

Swan, Montagna or boyd the other options. But Gary seems to step it up against he crows.

does he?

2009 155,92
2008 78
2007 91,83

Granted there is a 155 in there, but overall his average in the past 3 years against the crows is 99. Wouldn't call an average lower than his average "stepping it up".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back