Carlton 2024 - Are they being overestimated?

Are the expectations on the 2024 Blues being overestated?

• Yes

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • No

Votes: 34 29.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fogarty😉
Carlton supporters believe he is their most important small forward because of his pressure and tackling.
Considering Carlton are like -764 in tackles over the last 3 weeks it couldn't hurt to have someone like him back in the fold.

The commentators continual references to Carlton's injury list are so overblown. No real stars missing, Docherty best. Perhaps 3 or 4 best 22 missing. The rest are all interchangeable in their bottom 10 players.

Collingwood have had more talent out than the Blues recently: JDG, Elliott, Titch, McCreery, Checkers, McStay.

Docherty wouldn’t be in our top 3 most important outs structure wise. He’s a very good player but not what he once was.

Cerra, Saad, probably Docherty in our best dozen
Motlop, Martin in our best 18
Cottrell, Fogarty more than likely in our best 23
Silvagni, Cuningham 23-30 players/first drop

Not going to argue on their significance to the side and whether we would’ve won or lost games as you have already made up your mind on that. But you clearly don’t have a great understanding of our list.

I said it even during their run on last season, and it's the same thing now - Carlton simply do not have ANY system or method moving the ball up the ground. Saad gives them slightly something because of the way he's built but other than that there is 0 clue what to do moving the ball through the middle of the ground. Every single time I watch Carlton they just make it up as they go, left, right, up, down sideways, backwards etc. Sometimes they get through, but most times they don't. And when they don't and slap it on the boot to the forwards, Curnow and McKay occasionally make something out of nothing. That's the only thing giving Carlton a shot at winning games. Its the reason they don't dominate, it's also the reason why they win some close games. And it's the reason why they get absolutely belted against teams with a good system.

It's a mixture of two things. First and foremost, the buck stops with the coach - if they can't develop a clear brand then the coach simply doesn't know what or how. Secondly, people talk about their bottom six, I'd say it's more so their bottom 16, are shite. Durdin, Holland's's, owies, fantasia, McGovern and a whole suit of others etc are all front runners. That's why the injury excuse doesn't wash. When your 10 injuries come back, your bottom 6 is still rubbish.

Docherty wouldn’t be in our top 3 most important outs structure wise. He’s a very good player but not what he once was.

Not going to argue on their significance to the side and whether we would’ve won or lost games as you have already made up your mind on that. But you clearly don’t have a great understanding of our list.
You still have no system or method even with those players. Just gives you a few more looks than usual to slap it on the boot to Curnow and Harry.

You still have no system or method even with those players. Just gives you a few more looks than usual to slap it on the boot to Curnow and Harry.

I said today in the match day thread only Saad of those ins gives us any sort of answer to Sydney’s speed and foot skills.

Two very big weaknesses on our list right now.

So Cerra, Saad and Docherty definites, but 6-12 range.

Top 5 are Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Wietering,. All playing.

Motlop, Martin, Cottrell, Fogarty in the 13-23 range

No real stars missing, Docherty best. Perhaps 3 or 4 best 22 missing. The rest are all interchangeable in their bottom 10 players.

Pretty sure I nailed it.

No. There are probably 7 best 22 players missing. Not 3 or 4.

And it’s weird that you don’t rate Saad, Cerra or Docherty.

You can have your opinion on how they effect our side but just make it an informed one.
Ah, you're fixated on one part of my post ignoring everything else that aligned perfectly with your "informed" view.

In good teams, anyone in the 13-23 range is interchangeable and not guaranteed best 22.

e.g. Collingwood could replace any of our 13-23 players: Checkers, Lipinski, Titch, WHE, Howe, Frampton, McCreery, Schultz, Murphy, Markov with depth players like Noble, Reef McInnes, Macrae, Joe Richards, Harvey Harrison, Sullivan, Ash Johnson, Charlie Dean, Jack Bytel, Jakob Ryan and Kreuger and still expect to win.

The "woe-is-me" cries of look at our injury list are simply an excuse.

It appears the Blues simply don't have any depth.

Ah, you're fixated on one part of my post ignoring everything else that aligned perfectly with your "informed" view.

In good teams, anyone in the 13-23 range is interchangeable and not guaranteed best 22.

e.g. Collingwood could replace any of our 13-23 players: Checkers, Lipinski, Titch, WHE, Howe, Frampton, McCreery, Schultz, Murphy, Markov with depth players like Noble, Reef McInnes, Macrae, Joe Richards, Harvey Harrison, Sullivan, Ash Johnson, Charlie Dean, Jack Bytel, Jakob Ryan and Kreuger and still expect to win.

The "woe-is-me" cries of look at our injury list are simply an excuse.

It appears the Blues simply don't have any depth.

Well you haven’t read my posts at all. I haven’t used injury as an excuse. Only correcting the wrong things you’ve said.

Didn’t this Sydney side put the Pies away by 6 goals on your home ground? They are quality and we aren’t going to get near them this season full strength or not.

I wasn't "off" Carlton, still not but the tank is draining quickly.

Huge two weeks against teams that are around them at the moment. Win one, if not both and the past ghosts will be forgotten leading into the big one against my mob.

Lose the next two in a row and Adam Saad may be lining up his next trade request at years end

Back