Game Day Carlton v St Kilda Practice Match Gameday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No, he can't. We have to accept that Doc, along with Plow and Jones and to a lesser extent Weiters and SPS regularly fluff their kicks and concede goals as a result. My view is changing, and I think it's too costly having so many players back there with inconsistent or unreliable kicks. I reckon we either need positional changes, game plan changes or one of them has to go in an attempt to find a better solution. Same applies to other areas of the ground.
Walsh hit a few flat ones straight to the opposition the other night as well. I'd rather we get it out of the way in the pre -season than round one though. Hopefully just some cobwebs to brush off.

Last edited:
Walsh hit a few flat ones straight to the opposition the other night as well. I'd rather we get it out of the way in the pre -season than round one though. Hopefully just done cobwebs to brush off.

Yeah, I know .. It's a big problem with our starting 22 and beyond .. So much so, that I think we really do have to start thinking about losing a couple of our settled senior players who offer other strengths, for younger guys who possess better kicks. Feel that we risk missing top 4 without it.

Of the regular midfield brigade, none of Cripps, Ed, Dow, Setters or Walsh are elite kicks, and three of them are probably comfortably below average.

Last edited:
:tearsofjoy:

096f2d8b82c371c7436df27c245fa56a

”Wake up! Our son just kicked a goal.“

“I become a member of the team of the century while I was still playing.”

Last edited:

Do we try McGovern as a defender once Curnow comes back to see if we can add even more pace to our backline? They are happening less but out the back goals will hurt us still a bit this year and I reckon having a go with gov at back, especially with sos doing well, would be a good pathway to try

Not saying everything he touches turns to gold, but not sure what more he could have done either...

Had a direct hand in two i50s that resulted in Fish kicking a behind and Pitto not scoring.. Kicked two i50s himself .. Kicked a great goal that for some reason is being overlooked for the LOB pass (which for most teams is a pretty regulation pass).. Found himself free on the HFF, which probably would have resulted in another i50 but Fog fluffed a simple kick and it rolled out of bounds .. Would have been involved in a FP pocket contest but LOB's rushed kick floated out on the full .. I think he had a direct impact in 50% of the plays where he lined up in the centre square (2/4) ...

Honestly, I think he's our cleanest player (hands, disposal), best line-breaker and our most influential penetrating kick (along with Gov). The team needs to recognise this and use it for all it's worth. In a team crying out for speed, clean hands and good kicks, he should be in every best 22 and given every opportunity to become a premier midfielder - so far, he's lacked continuity and then gets thrown around in various positions/roles for short periods of time when he is fit. Not a great recipe for player development.

He needs to do it more often, not just as a cameo

Do we try McGovern as a defender once Curnow comes back to see if we can add even more pace to our backline? They are happening less but out the back goals will hurt us still a bit this year and I reckon having a go with gov at back, especially with sos doing well, would be a good pathway to try
If Marchbaank not back it worth a try. But he really should just be an emergency if we got a few key backs or key forwards out.

as I said our stoppage set ups are terrible... I literally saw an under twelve smiley face setup at one point and lost my sh*t.
And yet we were 4th in the league for clearances just last year:
1615000288270.png
Go figure ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet we were 4th in the league for clearances just last year:
View attachment 1071215
Go figure ...

Correct.

CLEARANCECredited to the player who has the first effective disposal in a chain that clears the stoppage area, or an ineffective kick or clanger kick that clears the stoppage area.

First effective disposal OR ineffective kick OR clanger kick ... does not guarantee we retain possession, which often we do not because a lot of our clearance work to date has been HACK kicks ....

I stand by what I have said ;) Our clearance and stoppage work is sub par.

Correct.

CLEARANCECredited to the player who has the first effective disposal in a chain that clears the stoppage area, or an ineffective kick or clanger kick that clears the stoppage area.

First effective disposal OR ineffective kick OR clanger kick ... does not guarantee we retain possession, which often we do not because a lot of our clearance work to date has been HACK kicks ....

I stand by what I have said ;) Our clearance and stoppage work is sub par.
Best you adjust your original comment then, eh? You said " our stoppage set ups are terrible ". If they are so terrible, how is it that we're getting " the first effective disposal " more often than 13 other clubs (I note that we tied with WC for clearances last year)?

Best you adjust your original comment then, eh? You said " our stoppage set ups are terrible ". If they are so terrible, how is it that we're getting " the first effective disposal " more often than 13 other clubs (I note that we tied with WC for clearances last year)?

You are missing the 2nd and third component of what constitutes a clearance ...... conveniently ..

You are missing the 2nd and third component of what constitutes a clearance ...... conveniently ..
Dude, I'm not "missing" anything. There's nothing in the post that I quoted about post-clearance disposal efficiency, or some 2nd or 3rd components of clearances. It only says there's an issue with SETUPS:
as I said our stoppage set ups are terrible... I literally saw an under twelve smiley face setup at one point and lost my sh*t.
Which is patently incorrect, given the clearance statistics from last year.

If you were wanting to criticise some other aspect of our clearance work, why did you only mention setups?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, I'm not "missing" anything. There's nothing in the post that I quoted about post-clearance disposal efficiency, or some 2nd or 3rd components of clearances. It only says there's an issue with SETUPS:

Which is patently incorrect, given the clearance statistics from last year.

If you were wanting to criticise some other aspect of our clearance work, why did you only mention setups?

FFS ... do i need to spell everything out ... WE WERE PUMPED IN CLEARANCES OUR SET UP WAS ATROCIOUS! Won the hit outs ... LOST THE CLEARANCES .. ergo our setup were s**t.

1615003353825.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back