Hall of Famer
Oct 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Some of the possibilities of how we may go in this draft;

Picks:
a. Keep pick #9
b. Trade out the #9 for two slightly later picks with - Gold Coast, Geelong, Fremantle, Port Adelaide or Brisbane.
c. Trade the #9 for a later pick and a future first - Brisbane, Geelong or Gold Coast

Feeling is that we'll hold onto the #9 until we know what is likely to be there.
Should what we want most slip us by, then the #9 is open to offers, albeit it may be too late on draft night.
If we did do the #15 and #20 with Gold Coast beforehand, I'd be happy as that would tell me we have types we're after and we know we'll get them.
I'd be happy with a 'risk' in taking two of Taylor, Dylan Williams, Weightman, Will Day, Pickett - The best two of course.

Wonder whether SOS may do a 'Rogers', as in his last draft who reached for 4 players whose total output combined to 32 games. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HARKER

Hall of Famer
Oct 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
There's nothing wrong with listening imo, just you apply your own filter that you learn to trust over time.
But in saying that, it's only an extra to your own judgement. No-one could describe me as "a herder" i don't think lol. And yeah i know you were commenting more generically.
I enjoy this month on here. Good footy yap. And no-one indulging in the worlds most wasteful obsession...whingeing about umps.
That depends on who you're listening to though.

I'll listen to Matt Balmer (Bishop) because for me at least, he seems to have a deeper insight into players than many other observers.
What we get a lot of is 'surface-value' observations, player-bias, type-bias etc. i.e. You don't get the whole picture and it's often because the individual can't see beyond what he/she sees; What you see is what you get.
Look at the Adelaide board for instance; Many there are still of the 'knowledge' that Lukosius is the second-coming. They've been affected. :)

windows1

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
ANother option, if GWS are unable to trade with Melb or Adelaide (more likely) to move up:

We trade with GWS for 6 as follows:

- swap 6 for 9
- swap next year’s firsts with gws
- swap next year’s third for their next year’s second

They go down to 9 which is about the right points for a matched bid with Swans.

For them:

They don’t waste the discount on green. They get what they hope is a top ten pick next year. Maybe top 5.

For us:

We get to move up and maybe get Flanders. The type in my view we really need. Get an extra second rounder.

Draft Points of all that aren’t too far apart in a world we finish say 10th and they 4th.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
ANother option, if GWS are unable to trade with Melb or Adelaide (more likely) to move up:

We trade with GWS for 6 as follows:

- swap 6 for 9
- swap next year’s firsts with gws
- swap next year’s third for their next year’s second

They go down to 9 which is about the right points for a matched bid with Swans.

For them:

They don’t waste the discount on green. They get what they hope is a top ten pick next year. Maybe top 5.

For us:

We get to move up and maybe get Flanders. The type in my view we really need. Get an extra second rounder.

Draft Points of all that aren’t too far apart in a world we finish say 10th and they 4th.
While there is a degree of equity in your suggested trades, surely there is no way GWS does a fanciful trade unless they have the opportunity to
land Green plus another player. The only safe trading partner for them would be Melbourne, who have been getting historical "stick" for the trade
that netted GWS Josh Kelly. Melbourne would be wary of passing up a higher pick this time around in my opinion.

I don't believe we would be contemplating a move up the draft. Pick 9 will give us a decent player. A swap for two picks in the 15-25 range would be
ideal in this draft, but given the new rules/arrangements would be unlikely to happen until "the night". I see the only way a pre draft swap happens
is if there is some "fence mending" with Gold Coast to get them up the draft and facilitate a tidy acquisition of Jack Martin.

windows1

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
While there is a degree of equity in your suggested trades, surely there is no way GWS does a fanciful trade unless they have the opportunity to
land Green plus another player. The only safe trading partner for them would be Melbourne, who have been getting historical "stick" for the trade
that netted GWS Josh Kelly. Melbourne would be wary of passing up a higher pick this time around in my opinion.

I don't believe we would be contemplating a move up the draft. Pick 9 will give us a decent player. A swap for two picks in the 15-25 range would be
ideal in this draft, but given the new rules/arrangements would be unlikely to happen until "the night". I see the only way a pre draft swap happens
is if there is some "fence mending" with Gold Coast to get them up the draft and facilitate a tidy acquisition of Jack Martin.
I only mean a live trade. And only in the event GWS fail to secure a trade with Melb or Adelaide.

I think we’d be interested if we really wanted Stephens or Flanders.

swuzzlebubble

Senior List
Aug 5, 2007
Royal Pde
AFL Club
Carlton
land Green plus another player.
This is where 6 for our future first comes into it although they don't get their other player until next year.
However there are complications for the back end of this draft albeit workable.
6 for 9 could be good for us if GWS don't have a better option.
Only 300 points diff so can probably square it off this year.
This would then keep open the option with Hawks of 11 & 30 for our future first if they had to match an earlier bid.

Sunstar

Debutant
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What happens if GC throw a curve ball, and announce green , where would that leave GWS?
GC can also prelist players till tomorrow and then swap them for draft picks (mid to late) they still have a couple of NT players and a young forward that are getting attention, a better pick swap may mean the Suns may be more open to release Martin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
GC can also prelist players till tomorrow and then swap them for draft picks (mid to late) they still have a couple of NT players and a young forward that are getting attention, a better pick swap may mean the Suns may be more open to release Martin
Martin is out of contract and has requested a trade two years in a row.

If GC take him in pre-season draft they will be in court over restraint of trade and it will open up a can of worms for AFL.

Our biggest worry is Melbourne but they don’t have cap space.

Bluechip66

All Australian
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
That didn’t answer my question!

ABigOlDoofus

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Interesting, but I would have thought the Demons would wait until the last possible moment to make a final decision on Bennell.
I would have thought the same, the only way I see them taking him in the PSD is if they know another team will take him with a pick after theirs, which I would see as unlikely.

ParapMarkets

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
This is where 6 for our future first comes into it although they don't get their other player until next year.
However there are complications for the back end of this draft albeit workable.
6 for 9 could be good for us if GWS don't have a better option.
Only 300 points diff so can probably square it off this year.
This would then keep open the option with Hawks of 11 & 30 for our future first if they had to match an earlier bid.
I can’t imagine any scenario where GWS trade out pick 6 for a future pick. They are either going to trade up to get a selection before Green is nominated or they will trade down in this draft for more points to match a Green bid.

ferrisb

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2011
The Naughty Corner
AFL Club
Carlton
I can’t imagine any scenario where GWS trade out pick 6 for a future pick. They are either going to trade up to get a selection before Green is nominated or they will trade down in this draft for more points to match a Green bid.
If they want more points, they should swap pick 6 for picks 12 & 18....

:tearsofjoy:

ParapMarkets

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
If they want more points, they should swap pick 6 for picks 12 & 18....

:tearsofjoy:
If they don’t manage to trade for a pick before a Green bid it will be interesting to see what they do. After giving up so much to get pick 6 in the first place it must be seen as a massive failure by them if they ultimately end up retreating and trading back down.

ferrisb

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2011
The Naughty Corner
AFL Club
Carlton

Top Bottom