List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who’ve done an ACL maybe?

If Kemp is still there at 9, can’t see us not selecting him.

Seems that way for now, but live trading really changes the dynamic of the draft.
One can understand clubs wanting to keep their cards close to their chest, as no one can be completely sure of who will be holding the picks before them.

An aside: Just came to mind re. the 2013 draft when Cripps was rated in the mid 20's/30's for most of the year, then suddenly came into contention with our pick #13 because we made a special trip to Geraldton (?) to meet his parents and soon after everyone knew who we'd be taking at that pick.

An aside: Just came to mind re. the 2013 draft when Cripps was rated in the mid 20's/30's for most of the year, then suddenly came into contention with our pick #13 because we made a special trip to Geraldton (?) to meet his parents and soon after everyone knew who we'd be taking at that pick.

We became very transparent with our choices back around that time. 2014 may have been the same, the cat was out of the bag on our shopping list.

Some player comparisons are interesting;

Hayden Young - Nick Haynes (about time)
Caleb Serong - Tim Kelly (really?)
Dylan Stephens - Jared Polec (Fair enough)
Brodie Kemp - Kyle Langford (WTF?)
brodie Must be happy. It appears we have over estimated kemp and by quite a bit.

Stats read like he played as a forward for Sandy, and then was injured in round 20.
Played won’t a lot. I’ve not been able to work out whether he (a) can’t read the play (b) has s**t hands below his knees (so avoids inside work) or (c) his stress fractures meant he couldn’t get aeeobically fit enough

He’s an intriguing case

Players who’ve done an ACL maybe?

If kemp is still there at 9, can’t see us not selecting him.
Yeah it's starting to look that way, though if Jackson is available I hope we're tempted. Bergman is another who I value, and seemingly won't make it past 13. There's also the possibility that Freo and Melbourne opt for Kemp.

I reckon Melbourne will take Jackson and Serong so it will be out of our hands.
I think Serong will slip to the late first round. If Melbourne are serious they'll be looking at Bergman, Ash, Young and Kemp for pick 8.

Played won’t a lot. I’ve not been able to work out whether he (a) can’t read the play (b) has s**t hands below his knees (so avoids inside work) or (c) his stress fractures meant he couldn’t get aeeobically fit enough

He’s an intriguing case
Take out the two games it looks like he went down with injury concerns in, and he was typically a 17-19 touch player in the TAC playing off half-forward. Wing play in the AFL, especially in our systems, is a bit different to what it used to be. Those mop-up touches typically go to the followers and the running defenders now, with wing players left to make attacking runs and emergency defensive cover.

Bergman is a very attacking wing player though, whereas Sharp is probably a more AFL-centric version of the position.

Andrew Gaff at pick 25.

What. A. Draft.
Sharp is still looked at as a 10-25 range player, so he obviously polarises, and I suspect for stupid reasons. I'd still love to trade down and grab him and Gould with Gold Coast's picks, especially if Kemp is gone.

Sharp is still looked at as a 10-25 range player, so he obviously polarises, and I suspect for stupid reasons. I'd still love to trade down and grab him and Gould with Gold Coast's picks, especially if Kemp is gone.
I like Sharp too, but I was having a crack at the silly comparisons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance we can get player with these sort of highlights?

It still looks like being Stephens as the best fit for the CFC for me, with Serong second.

Can't believe I spent 3-4 minutes watching highlights of this spud...

Wait, what the heck?!

Must've been some Captain America secret serum sort of s**t.

Going by the afl draft prospects profiles listed here;

I have decided to rate my favourite players that will likely be available at each of our picks.

I am not an avid junior footy watcher - I merely watch highlights every year but I think I have a pretty good track record picking players going with a bit of gut feeling.

This is only my first year on BF so I don’t have any online proof of this but only discussions with my own mates that could be confirmed so I am happy to have egg on my face in future if I’m off the mark.

Players I am certain will be gone by our pick or matched if we pick them.

1. Rowell
2. Anderson
3. Young
4. Green
5. Flanders
6. Ash
7. Jackson
8. Henry

So in order of who I think will be there that I rate most
Pick 9

Dylan Stephens
Brodie Kemp
Deven Robertson
Finn McGinness

Pick 43

Elijah Taylor
Flynn Perez
Kysaiah Pickett
Dylan Williams
Thomson Dow

Pick 57

Ned Cahill
Tyrone Thorne
Callum Jamieson

The players I have listed are ones possibly available at each pick and in order of who I would choose if available. So for pick 43 if Taylor gone, I would go Perez. It’s quite possible all of mine listed for 43 would be gone by then and therefore I would choose Cahill but I think at least one of those 5 will be there at 43.

I would like to get 2 small forwards with picks 43 and 57 but if we get one of those 5 at 43 it might be worth a project back up ruck at 57 (Jamieson) who I think has huge upside.

Flynn Perez is not really a small forward but if available at 43 would be hard to pass up. My gut feeling on him is he will end up one of the best 5 or 6 of this draft if he has no more issues with the knee.

Knightmare's new phantom draft has us taking Serong at 9, Ned Cahill at 42, and Brady Rowles at 57. Thoughts?

I picked Cahill for Carlton at the same pick in the TC phantom. I like him.

That would probably make for the least athletic top 10s in the last 15 drafts or so, which in of itself isn't a bad thing, but I think Walsh's debut season now has teams looking too much at player's junior production. Walsh made it work because he never stopped running, which is a knack none of these players have innately.

Away from that, what are people's thoughts on Cam Taheny? Plays remarkably like Matty Lappin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back